Advice on Trailer Cover - needed & brands? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2015, 01:25 AM   #21

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
We live down in Tacoma and our Casita lives in the back yard with a Calmark cover. It's starting to turn a shade of green! I like the cover and still do think it's a good investment, but I don't think that we will buy one for the 5.0 when we get it. It will cost more and we don't use the cover in the summer. Bob
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:06 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
What size did you get? Do you have front storage?
We don't have front storage. The size was 16'-18'. I believe the length of the box is just over 17', so its an easy fit with the extra inches to work with.

The link is Expedition RV Trailer Cover Travel Trailer 16 17 18 Ft | eBay

Most injuries injuries in old men occur because they think they are young men!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:32 AM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 15A
Many thanks - Great ideas/suggestions!

Wow, this really is a great and impressively responsive community of Escape owners. Thanks so much for the advice on waxing, brands, and links to covers. I'll for sure do the waxing and will also look into the cover, as we do get the over-winter green on just about everything that's not daily or weekly washed off.
Thanks again....

"If the path be beautiful, let us not ask where it leads." Anatole France
2KC Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:37 AM   #24

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
This is the 5th season I've used my cover. Last year I had to patch several areas due to rot. I don't think I'll get another year out of it, as a matter of fact, I bet it completely comes apart when I remove it in the spring.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:42 AM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 15A
Thanks for info, and just out of curiosity, do you mind saying what brand you've had that is deteriorating?
Thanks.

"If the path be beautiful, let us not ask where it leads." Anatole France
2KC Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:50 AM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonbill View Post
We don't have front storage. The size was 16'-18'. I believe the length of the box is just over 17', so its an easy fit with the extra inches to work with.

The link is Expedition RV Trailer Cover Travel Trailer 16 17 18 Ft | eBay
Great, thanks for the info!

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:57 AM   #27

Trailer: Escape 17B (2014)
Last fall we got an ADCO cover from Camping World, on sale for $240, model 69969. That model is supposed to fit trailers up to 15 feet, but it completely covers our 17-footer, from spare tire to storage box/hitch, and solar panel to tires. Obviously it's designed for a wider trailer, which is OK except now the side zippers don't go up high enough to open the door unless we make slack by unbuckling straps and opening both zippers. It seems to be good quality but time will tell (it has a 2-year warranty and came with some adhesive-backed repair patches and storage bag).

-Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Cover.jpg  
Old 01-19-2015, 12:11 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
I would definitely put your trailer under a cover. For the past decade or so I have put my RV under a modified Costco canopy, and more recently under a larger canopy. Most trailers spend the majority of their life parked and a cover definitely extends their life. Here in the PNW its not so much the sun damage but the moss buildup.
Attached Thumbnails
Escape 5.0 001.jpg  
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:04 PM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I bought a fabric-covered shelter (like Gerri's but differently shaped). I never did use it, because I realized that it would not (according to both the instructions and common sense) handle snow load, so it would not be very useful to me.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:11 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
How much maintenance is there to a cover, absolutely none.
Been using a cover for 9 years, not once has it caused me to not use the trailer when I felt like it. Takes maybe 15 minutes to put it on or take it off once you learn to do it the same every time.
Bob, what brand of cover do you have?
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:16 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerriJ View Post
I would definitely put your trailer under a cover. For the past decade or so I have put my RV under a modified Costco canopy, and more recently under a larger canopy. Most trailers spend the majority of their life parked and a cover definitely extends their life. Here in the PNW its not so much the sun damage but the moss buildup.
Hi: GerriJ..."A rolling stone gathers no moss"... but who wants to be a rolling stone? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:03 PM   #32

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
Bob, what brand of cover do you have?
I'm on my 2nd Adco. The first was probably the same as Dave's gold one shown above but before they went with the fancy slash and the gold color. Lasted 6 years then disintegrated in the wind 3 winters ago. Bought another of what I thought was the same (after they changed the styling) but ended up with their cheaper model which is not as good as their Designer Tyvek Line. My first was Tyvek, I think this one is Aquashed it's considerably thinner. The color change through me off.
The number one issue with these, aside from turning green for you PNW folks, is the wind causes tears on all the sharp corners, now that we have an Escape the only sharp corners are the solar panel and the Jack antenna. A pool noodle on the solar panel and a plastic laundry basket over the antenna took care of those.
When the time comes for a new one, I'll probably stick with the ADCO, but get the correct one. I'm good with it lasting 6 years, and maybe more with the Escape. If I was still working I'd go with the custom Calmark.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:22 PM   #33

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
I would guess, that regardless of the manufacturer, in time a fabric RV cover will rot. I got mine from ETI about 5 years ago and, as I stated in a previous post on this thread, this is likely, if not definitely, the last season.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:06 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I'm on my 2nd Adco. The first was probably the same as Dave's gold one shown above but before they went with the fancy slash and the gold color. Lasted 6 years then disintegrated in the wind 3 winters ago. Bought another of what I thought was the same (after they changed the styling) but ended up with their cheaper model which is not as good as their Designer Tyvek Line. My first was Tyvek, I think this one is Aquashed it's considerably thinner. The color change through me off.
The number one issue with these, aside from turning green for you PNW folks, is the wind causes tears on all the sharp corners, now that we have an Escape the only sharp corners are the solar panel and the Jack antenna. A pool noodle on the solar panel and a plastic laundry basket over the antenna took care of those.
When the time comes for a new one, I'll probably stick with the ADCO, but get the correct one. I'm good with it lasting 6 years, and maybe more with the Escape. If I was still working I'd go with the custom Calmark.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to check out the custom Calmark first, if not too expensive this is probably what I'll get. Thanks!
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:41 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm going to check out the custom Calmark first, if not too expensive this is probably what I'll get. Thanks!
Several of my coworkers who have RV's, boats, and trailers have recommended Calmark. Not cheap, but custom made to your trailer dimensions, and reinforced at seams and to support the hanging weight of the vertical parts of the cover. And lasts (we'll see for how long).

When we pick up our 17 this summer, I'll take it over to Calmark in person (they're 12 miles away), let them measure directly and file the data away. Then, anyone who orders an Escape 17 cover won't have to measure.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:45 PM   #36

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Trailer covers/wax

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Which brings me back to maintenance. What do you plan to do about the green slime that is growing on the trailer cover? Are you going to remove it and dry the cover prior to storing it away? Up here in the North Wet even drying my awning is a challenge.
The other question I've had, is a cover to prevent oxidation cheaper than hiring somebody to do a restoration after several years? After the cover is long worn out?
If I could, I'd store my trailer in a covered, heated garage, but that's not going to happen either unless I win a lottery with a ticket that I never purchased.
Two good questions.
I plan on getting a grey cover so any residual stain after washing the cover isn't noticeable. From past experience with tarps I believe I can quick wash a cover while still on the trailer in maybe 30 minutes. Washing our old trailer and using Black Streak Remover to take away the stain was MUCH more labor intensive (and the skin was fibreglass). I found that the vent grills and any non-smooth surface were a real bugger to clean the black and green crap out of. Regarding drying the cover, we store our trailer from mid-October to April, so in retirement we can always find a day in March or April when the wind dries the cover and we can remove it for storage.

Your question about the cost of restoration vs cover is valid. I was wondering the same thing myself when looking at $600 covers. However, looking at some of the covers around $200, I believe it would be more cost effective to go with a cheaper cover, despite them only lasting a few years. (Will use Ship Happens or Hagen's of Blaine)

In our neighbourhood there are quite a few trailers and RVs (including some fiberglass; also 2 Escapes), and most of them are covered for the winter. I regretted not getting a cover for our previous trailer when it was new to save the yearly big spring cleanup.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:57 PM   #37

Trailer: 2013 Ltd Edition 15B (1 of 47)
We've used an Elite for the past couple of years. It's starting to wear, so this may be the last few months for it. Was relatively inexpensive though -- around $120. That breaks down to sixty bucks a year. At that price we can buy more. No green or black slime either. Fits perfectly. It takes about 5 minutes to put on and 2 minutes to remove.

We wax twice a year. According to ETI, anything with carnauba wax is the way to go. I think we're using a Turtle Wax product. It works quite well. And if it gets on our skin, nothing disastrous happens.
Washingtonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:47 AM   #38

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
I’ve discovered over the years the best way to protect an RV is to keep it covered. It stays cleaner, looks newer and lasts longer when it’s protected from the ravages of weather, be it summer or winter. We kept our 15b under a portable shelter we picked up at Canadian tire and I prefer that to an RV cover because the air space around the unit allows it to “breathe”. And because of all the rain here on the wet coast the inside stays drier and fresher smelling.
Right now I’m in the process of building a storage shed big enough to hold the 17b that we’re picking up in March and it will be parked there when ever we are not using it. I think if you got the room to do that, it is the best way to protect your investment.
sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:21 AM   #39

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
I’ve discovered over the years the best way to protect an RV is to keep it covered....

Right now I’m in the process of building a storage shed big enough to hold the 17b that we’re picking up in March and it will be parked there when ever we are not using it. I think if you got the room to do that, it is the best way to protect your investment.
I agree that covering your trailer vastly simplifies the work required to keep it clean and shiny looking. Indoor storage would be my preference, followed by a tent or carport type structure. Given the lack of space on my property for any of those options, I use the third best option (IMHO) which is a cover. Least favorable option to me would be parking it uncovered and having to clean it up more frequently to get the accumulated gunk off of it.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:30 AM   #40

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
In my daily travels in the area I see way more trailers with tarps covering just the top and maybe a foot or so down the side, then full covers like we are talking about. Covered structures are very few in numbers. There are a few barns with trailers of one sort or another just visible.

I was under the impression that tarps are the least desirable option. Is just covering the top with a cheap tarp that bad?