Andersen red sleeve replacement - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2015, 08:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Andersen red sleeve replacement

Just got back from a 9,000 mi trip around the US. Everything was great but the Anderson WDH sleeve is protruding from the cone more than 3/8th of an inch. As I understand it from Anderson it needs to be replaced.
Has anyone else here done this?

Thanks,
Dave
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
Just got back from a 9.000 mi trip around the US. Everything was great but the Anderson WDH sleeve is protruding from the cone more than 3/8th of an inch. As I understand it from Anderson it needs to be replaced.
Has anyone else here done this?

Thanks,
Dave
Yep. There are detailed instructions on-line in down load format and You Tube videos. The biggest problem is if you have a large enough snap ring pliers. Wow, long trip! Hope you had a good time!
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Contact Anderson directly. My hitch was starting to squeak, I sent them an email and they replied within a day saying the issue is probably dirt but they also had a number of hitches that were not cleaned properly before assembly and all they need is to take them apart to clean some aluminum filings out of the sleeve, but just in case that is not the problem they sent me a new sleeve at no cost, arrived very quickly. That is customer service
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
I replaced the red sleave and followed the youtube instructions. Was a relatively easy job but was unable to replace the snap ring (actually I found I never had one and Anderson had to ship it to me). Even after having using the trailer on a 600 km trip still unable to get the snap ring to fit.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharper View Post
... Was a relatively easy job but was unable to replace the snap ring (actually I found I never had one and Anderson had to ship it to me). Even after having using the trailer on a 600 km trip still unable to get the snap ring to fit.
Originally, there was no snap ring: the triangular plate kept the ball from pulling up. Later, they added the snap ring to the design so the ball is always securely retained without depending on the plate.

If your hitch was manufactured before they started using the snap ring, does it even have a groove for the snap ring to go into?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:50 AM   #6

Thanks for the heads about no snap ring on early models. There is an indentation but need to look at it more closely. I only use it for towing the trailer so I guess no big deal with not having the snap ring.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:08 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21/ 09 2015
This is why I changed my order back to the tried and true "Equalizer" style of WDH. I was hoping the Andersen was going to be an improvement. But after hearing of warranty claims (with a WDH....really?) and ETI moving away from offering it anymore I changed my mind.
luckyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:24 AM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharper View Post
Thanks for the heads about no snap ring on early models. There is an indentation but need to look at it more closely. I only use it for towing the trailer so I guess no big deal with not having the snap ring.
So...it's not a problem when you're not towing?!?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:53 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
The Andersen provides sway ,most bar wdh don't , unless its a true Equalizer which is about 500 $
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:10 PM   #10

Is anyone keeping count on how many people have had a problem with the Andersen Hitch?
Old 10-09-2015, 12:11 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
For what it's worth, I've never experienced sway, using the Pro Series WDH. I think with a properly loaded trailer, tongue weight and tow vehicle, sway would not be an issue.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
For what it's worth, I've never experienced sway, using the Pro Series WDH. I think with a properly loaded trailer, tongue weight and tow vehicle, sway would not be an issue.
I concur.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:09 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
The Andersen provides sway ,most bar wdh don't , unless its a true Equalizer which is about 500 $
Very close to the price of the Anderson hitch !
http://www.makariosrv.com/equalizer-...lb-90-00-1000/
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:04 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 17B, 2011 Honda Ridgeline
The after sales service from Andersen is terrific. Emails are answered immediately. I wrote for a replacement sleeve Oct.05...rec'd today Oct 09 via UPS. On warranty no charge (it is lifetime). Reason for choosing Andersen in first place was to not deal with bars and after two years and 15,000 kms not regretting our personal choice. It would be of interest to learn why ETI has chosen not to continue promotion of the Andersen.
bolerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolerfan View Post
. It would be of interest to learn why ETI has chosen not to continue promotion of the Andersen.
My guess would be because of the many unhappy Andersen hitch customer complaints forum members have posted.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:40 PM   #16

I have had poor service from Anderson Hitch, perhaps they are pulling up their socks because of recent complaints. This was discussed in another Anderson Hitch thread.

No need for the snap ring because the ball is seated so that it is hard to remove and would not be removed when attached to the trailer because of the triangular plate that is attached below.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:13 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 19' Escape - 2023 JGC-L Summit
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
My guess would be because of the many unhappy Andersen hitch customer complaints forum members have posted.
On a recent stop at ETI I was told they were having problems getting replacement parts for the Anderson hitch shipped to Canada and the decision to stop offering the hitch had nothing to do with complaints from forum members.
DonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:47 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonF View Post
On a recent stop at ETI I was told they were having problems getting replacement parts for the Anderson hitch shipped to Canada and the decision to stop offering the hitch had nothing to do with complaints from forum members.
That makes sense to me. On the way to Osoyoos we managed to put the washer on the wrong side of the elastomer, resulting in the nut being embedded about an inch into the elastomer. When I contacted Andersen, they said they couldn't ship to Canada, but did offer to ship to Oroville. That didn't work out, so they shipped the replacement to our home address. I thought their customer service was very good. No charge for the replacement elastomer
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:48 PM   #19

You're probably right DonF, but I'm guessing the replacement parts were for forum members.
I've not heard of a reason or request of replacement parts for the current Pro series hitch Escape now uses. There's really nothing to replace.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:57 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
On the way to Osoyoos we managed to put the washer on the wrong side of the elastomer, resulting in the nut being embedded about an inch into the elastomer. When I contacted Andersen, they said they couldn't ship to Canada, but did offer to ship to Oroville.
There are lot of Andersen dealers in Canada (in addition to Escape), so they clearly can ship to Canada. I assume that they were saying that they were not organized to ship parts directly to customers in Canada.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote