Anode Discussion - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2016, 07:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Anode Discussion

Well, after posting that our RV guy said we could go another year on our bearings, he called back and said he wanted to look at them anyway. He came out today and did a thorough inspection and declared them nearly "perfect" (hubby said that even the grease smelled "new"). He then checked our solar panel and, after several tense minutes of shaking, pulling, looking at all the installation points, declared that it was quite sound (he did say it helped we had our satellite antenna in front so as to defect the wind a bit ... who knows). THEN he pulled the water heater anode ... yikes! It nearly fell apart in his hands! He explained that with the crappy water a lot of parks have (not to mention our own mineral-laden water), we should be checking the anode every six months. Another lesson learned ... thankfully, before it was too late.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Wheel Bearing Maintenance

I was surprised by how bad our anode was after just a month or two of camping. About half gone. I guess we only camp where the water is hardest....
Old 04-06-2016, 08:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Amazing. Best camp up here. I'm still using the original anode, approaching eight years. This pic was after six years.
Attached Thumbnails
Anode after 6 years.jpg  
Old 04-06-2016, 08:11 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've wondered about the anode, I had 8 years on my old trailer and it was no worse then Glen shows, the Escape one still looks close to new. We only turn on the hit water for maybe 20 minutes a day, for those who go through the rods, do you leave the HW on all the time?

Maybe I should have made this a new thread, sorry.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
....am wondering if turning on the water heater at all makes any difference as there is water in the tank. Checked ours at 12 mos and it still had life.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:21 PM   #6

During the first year, we would leave it on when we were at the campsite. Now we only turn it on right before we need it and then turn it off. That's a good point as that may have caused some of the corrosion.

Another thought would be that we weren't draining our hot water tank between camping trips. Maybe leaving the water sitting in there is another problem.

Jan

- Cesare Pavese
Old 04-06-2016, 08:27 PM   #7

I don't drain the water heater between trips. It only gets drained when winterizing.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I changed my anode after 5 years, and could have gone at least another year. I too leave water in the water heater all the time during camping season.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:15 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Water quality varies widely across Canada. When I monitored the filtration system for our hospital lab, there was so little conductivity in the feed water that I had to add salt to a bucket of water before I could test the efficiency of the reverse osmosis filters (also checking for leaks). City water in some areas of Canada has 10 times the conductivity we had in New Westminster, due to dissolved minerals. It helps explain the great variation in the life of RV hot water tank anodes.
Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:10 AM   #10

Here's what our anode looked like after two years ... yuck.
Attached Thumbnails
Anode Apr 2016.jpg  

Jan

- Cesare Pavese
Old 04-07-2016, 01:38 AM   #11

Why yuck? It's doing what it is supposed to do, sacrificial metal to prevent the tank from corroding away. That anode has several good years left.
The one at the bottom of this pic needs to be replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
Good anode bad anode.png  
Old 04-07-2016, 02:22 AM   #12

Truly? Well, that's interesting. We thought it looked rather nasty after remembering what it looked like when we picked up the trailer. See what one can learn on the forum? Thanks.

Jan

- Cesare Pavese
Old 04-07-2016, 08:03 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
Water quality varies widely across Canada. City water in some areas of Canada has 10 times the conductivity we had in New Westminster, due to dissolved minerals. It helps explain the great variation in the life of RV hot water tank anodes.
Bob K
Bob, I'm sure the variation is great across the U.S. Too. I put a new anode in ours in the spring of 2014 and by last fall when I winterized it was about shot. I flush the tank and leave the anode anode out and dry all winter. Lots of variation in water for sure.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:18 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Here's what our anode looked like after two years ... yuck.
Jan - that one has lots of life left in it. As Glenn says that's what they look like when doing what they are intended for. (Maybe we need to split anode discussion off the wheel bearing thread?)

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:38 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Why yuck? It's doing what it is supposed to do, sacrificial metal to prevent the tank from corroding away. That anode has several good years left.
Those that look great after many years are probably aluminum. If they look good after multiple years they are probably not doing their job. My thoughts.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:03 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
We full time in our Casita and replace the anode every six months. The last one I replaced looked like the bottom anode in gbaglo's photo.

Note: We have the water heater on all the time, except between locations.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:09 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog2673 View Post
We full time in our Casita and replace the anode every six months. The last one I replaced looked like the bottom anode in gbaglo's photo.
I think that you hit on the main point, how much of its life is the anode immersed in water. Our is drained all winter and summer if it going to be long before we go out again. Ours is still the original.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:27 AM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We change ours out every other year due to the water in our area .
They aren't that expensive or hard to change. I know people who never change out their anode ,but they have replaced their water heater. Sort of the pay me know or pay me later philosophy.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:27 AM   #19

After doing a little more research on line, I found two posts that were interesting. The first: Plumbing & HVAC Service in Tucson AZ - Arico Plumbing Heating Cooling talks about the different types of rods ... which was especially interesting since our aluminum rod was replaced with a magnesium rod (not good, according to this article). The second: Me and My Dog ...and My RV: RV Maintenance - changing out the Anode Rod step by step talks about the mechanics of replacing the rod -- and we took special note of the placement of plumber's tape.

Bottom line, it would appear we shouldn't have had the rod replaced, nor should we have agreed to the magnesium rod. I guess it's all a learning curve. (BTW, thanks for moving this to a separate thread. Hopefully, others can be helped by the information collected here.)

Jan

- Cesare Pavese
Old 04-07-2016, 10:06 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
After doing a little more research on line, I found two posts that were interesting. The first: Plumbing & HVAC Service in Tucson AZ - Arico Plumbing Heating Cooling talks about the different types of rods ... which was especially interesting since our aluminum rod was replaced with a magnesium rod (not good, according to this article). The second: Me and My Dog ...and My RV: RV Maintenance - changing out the Anode Rod step by step talks about the mechanics of replacing the rod -- and we took special note of the placement of plumber's tape.

Bottom line, it would appear we shouldn't have had the rod replaced, nor should we have agreed to the magnesium rod. I guess it's all a learning curve. (BTW, thanks for moving this to a separate thread. Hopefully, others can be helped by the information collected here.)
I would disagree with the article and with your conclusion. Magnesium is far more sacrificial than aluminum and therefore protects the steel lining better. That is the reason it may not last as long. The only time an aluminum anode would be preferable is if you have rotten egg smell in your water. Anodes are inexpensive, somewhere around $15. Changing them out is not rocket science. It takes all of ten minutes, and that is if you are slow. In the worst case, a magnesium anode should last a couple of years, but for $15, you could do it yearly for peace of mind.