Antifreeze - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2014, 11:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Antifreeze

Canadian Tire will have Prestone RV antifreeze on sale this weekend. 3.78 L for $7.99 ( reg. $10.56 ). Same amount of Home Hardware house brand, not on sale, is $5.25 ( if memory serves ). But, I'm buying Economical brand at Rona. 3.78 litres for $3.25 this weekend.
They are all good to minus 50C.
Don't see a good reason to contribute to Prestone and Canadian Tire's marketing budgets.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
You are sure that those prices are for rv antifreeze rather than Automotive antifreeze? Seems pretty decent.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:58 PM   #3

The Rona "Economical" says non-toxic in the flyer. Doesn't have a big RV on the label.
I will read the label carefully before I buy, but I've learned to do that through many bad purchases in the past.

Looked it up online:
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2014-10-08 at 9.59.38 PM.png  
Old 10-09-2014, 12:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The house brand prices seem appropriate to me. Typical RV plumbing antifreeze is much cheaper than automotive antifreeze concentrate, due to less expensive components. A couple of the Prestone products are an exception to this pricing; perhaps there is a reason for that, but unless I saw a technical difference that was of benefit, I wouldn't pay the premium.

The expensive Prestone is, unlike the inexpensive Prestone, listed as non-flammable. This suggests that the extra money may get you propylene glycol instead of alcohol, but that's only a guess. The Material Safety Data Sheets would likely confirm or correct this.

Okay, just checked... that's it. The MSDS also show that the Prestone-branded products are made by Recochem, just like the house brands.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:35 AM   #5

Thanks for the research Brian. You're a good man.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:00 AM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Recochem | Economical RV Plumbing Antifreeze 9.46 L | Home Depot Canada
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:36 PM   #7

Trailer: 19'
Sounds good. Thanks.
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:57 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Interesting that the cheaper RV antifreeze in the states is propylene glycol ($2.70 a gallon) and the more expensive stuff (Peak) is ethanol ($3.50). I've only ever use the glycol and I think I will stick with it given the detrimental effect of ethanol on rubber seals - ie the toilet and the grey and black tank valves

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I went to buy more antifreeze while it was on sale and found that now the brand that in the past had been propylene glycol is now a mixture of it and ethanol. Apparently with all the ethanol production here in the states, it must be cheaper than propylene glycol. While ethanol is listed as non-toxic I worry about it degrading rubber seals like I mentioned above. My understanding is that ethanol dries out rubber seals thus hardening them. With it sitting in the toilet and in the drain pipes against the drain valves over the winter I would think it would be bad for them.

I just bought some of this: Camo Drain Valve Lube, drained all the remaining antifreeze in the toilet and grey pipe and put this in to soak all three seals over the winter.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote