Antifreeze/winter camping - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
GEM

Antifreeze/winter camping

I live in North Carolina and recently winterized my new 19' as per the instructions here....And now in North Carolina it is 72 degrees F!! but it will probably freeze again before Spring.

My question:

If I go camping now and hookup to a campground water spigot (not using the pump and holding tank that has antifreeze in it)...then run the water into the two sinks and toilet until the pink antifreeze in flushed out....and when finished camping dump the gray and black tanks...then pump the antifreeze back into the two sinks and toilet WITHOUT messing with the water pump to re-winterize?

I guess the question is: are the two systems (the battery operated pump/holding tank) and (the pressurized campground spigot) connected?

I'd like to be able to come home and just pour a little more antifreeze in the holding tank and pump to the sinks and toilet and be winterized again...

(hope this makes sense)

-greg
GEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Greg, when you say "holding tank," that is the black tank to me. You sound as if you are talking about the fresh water tank. We did not pump to the sinks and toilet to winterize. We emptied everything and then put anti-freeze into the toilet and sinks and down the shower drain. Maybe you used the other set of instructions?

There are people who put anti-freeze into the fresh tank but it is usually not recommended and not in the instructions we followed from the manual.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Not sure I follow completely, Greg. But I will give a stab at it.

You should still drain out the water lines through the low point drain(and water heater if you used it), and add antifreeze to the P-traps. It is only a 20 minute thing, and should be done.

It almost sounds like you are putting antifreeze in the water tank, and pumping it through the system. There is no need to do this. Draining the water lines and water heater voids the system of water. Just the P-traps do not get drained, and need the antifreeze.

Worked great for me for 4 winters now.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Hi Greg,
Do as Jim says, after use, open the low point drain on your trailer, behind the back driver side wheel and go inside and open your all your faucets, including your outside shower and flush toilet. Go out side and remove the fresh water screen and push the button inside where the screen sits. Then you are done. Close all drains, outside low point, reinstall screen and pour some anti freeze into toilet and both sink drains. You are good to go until next use. We are planning on coming down to W. Virginia camping next week and this is the way I do it. Enjoy and let's plan on a meet sometime this summer.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Greg, since you are being given instructions (which can be found on this forum under winterize threads), some things need to be added. You need to also drain the fresh water tank. Once you have drained the low point drain and fresh water tank, you need to run the water pump for ten seconds.

You also need to drain the hot water tank which requires removing the anode with a tool (1 1/16" socket I believe). I am supposing that you did all of that before but I am just clarifying for those newbies who might need to know.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #6

Greg,
To answer your second question, no the fresh water and pump are not connected to the city water cg hookup. There is a valve that does not allow the two systems to meet. For future, you should not need to put any antifreeze in your fresh water tank, just drain the tank and run the pump dry. The low point drain is supposed to allow all water in your lines, city and fresh water side to drain. Your tank lines should already be dry when you run the pump with nothing in the tank. With all lines dry you should be fine. I'm also assuming you bypassed the hot water heater with the 2 valves and already drained it when you originally winterized. If you used the water heater then you have to also winterize it again.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
GEM

thanks

thanks everyone...(yes Jim we should try and camp together this summer!)

Looks like I did everything correct except I put antifreeze in the fresh water tank (not holding tank...sorry) I got that from the following instructions that I think I got here. I also used "method two" which all of you are describing (water heater drain plug, screen washer, etc.)

Drain all the tanks as best you can.

Bypass the hot water heater (valve inside the camper, under the seat)

Remove the hot water heater drain plug, and drain thoroughly. Replace with new teflon or replace if corroded. You can leave it out, but it might get damaged or lost over winter. (But leave the heater bypassed - you DO NOT want antifreeze in your heater)

Add a couple of gallons of RV antifreeze to your fresh water tank.

Turn on the water pump and run water out of EVERY faucet (hot/cold/shower/exterior shower) until pink runs out.

Add a cup or so of antifreeze to each "p" trap (sinks and shower). All this will be putting some antifreeze in your grey tank.

Add some antifreeze to the black tank (about a quart to be safe) and leave some in the toilet.

I will empty antifreeze and flush out the fresh water tank....
THANKS FOR THE HELP!!

-greg
GEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #8

No harm done Greg, just the cost of 2-3 gallons of antifreeze. I actually feel better or safer with that method except I always insert the antifreeze at the pump. In all my other trailers I had easy access to the pump and was able to install a "Bypass" system where you insert the tube into a gallon of antifreeze and the pump then pumps it throughout your plumbing. The pump on the Escape 19' locale does not allow that that. Some members, I think Jim Bennett relocated their pump and can use this system. It is on my "list".