Avoiding Winterizing - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2023, 06:43 PM   #41

Trailer: 2023 E19
I have a 12V Viair 400P-Automatic compressor/inflator that worked surprisingly well to blow out all the lines. I followed the procedure described in Escape's winterization YouTube video. My TV served as the power source...no need for 120v shore power. It allowed me to winterize on location at the last (non-serviced) campsite I stayed at, in about 15min.

Viair sells a RV winterization kit for the 400 and 450 series compressors, which consists of a pressure regulator/gauge, brass city water connection blow-out adapter, and quick-connect fittings. I bought the same parts from Princess Auto (Canadian version of Harbor Freight) on sale for a fraction of the price.

Even if you wanted to go belt-and-suspenders by refilling the lines with RV antifreeze afterwards, I don't see how blowing out first would hurt.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 01:19 PM   #42

Trailer: 2012 E19
Regarding winterization with an air compressor, I thought of a couple more questions.

First: on my water pump, is this the "dome" that unscrews, and should I remove it during the winter? Does water linger inside it? Or does the issue pertain only to a newer style pump?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0137i.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	71643

Second: my water heater is emptied and I've reinstalled the anode rod. Is there still a good reason to close the bypass valves before running the air compressor?

TIA. I've obtained a Ridgid 6 gallon compressor, 3.5 scfm @ 40 psi. From what I've read, it should do the job.
Old 11-18-2023, 01:43 PM   #43

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Regarding winterization with an air compressor, I thought of a couple more questions.

First: on my water pump, is this the "dome" that unscrews, and should I remove it during the winter? Does water linger inside it? Or does the issue pertain only to a newer style pump?

Attachment 71643

Second: my water heater is emptied and I've reinstalled the anode rod. Is there still a good reason to close the bypass valves before running the air compressor?

TIA. I've obtained a Ridgid 6 gallon compressor, 3.5 scfm @ 40 psi. From what I've read, it should do the job.
I've unscrewed that filter cap and wicked out any remaining water and flushed the filter screen. You could leave the cap off during shutdown & storage for air drying, or plop it back on. Just be SURE & make a note in your start-up procedures to replace the domed cap.

I leave the anode out in storage. I've always stuffed a strip of bath towel into the water heater, using a dowel or other means leaving 6" or so outside to wick out the remaining water in the heater. I leave that in place for a few days, and then use a rubber plug with a faucet filter screen attached to it allow off season drying of the interior of the water heater tank. This plugs the anode opening but allows air in. No picture of this plug device as my rig is away and in storage. The heater is glass lined, so all this is not necessary, but it's what I do. If something is dry, you don't usually experience corrosion.

Your air compressor is adequate, but just blow the lines thoroughly and multiple times. I don't use anti-freeze in them, but do in the sink and shower traps.

I close the bypass to get max pressure through the water lines.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 05:06 PM   #44

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
I've unscrewed that filter cap and wicked out any remaining water and flushed the filter screen. You could leave the cap off during shutdown & storage for air drying, or plop it back on. Just be SURE & make a note in your start-up procedures to replace the domed cap.

I leave the anode out in storage. I've always stuffed a strip of bath towel into the water heater, using a dowel or other means leaving 6" or so outside to wick out the remaining water in the heater. I leave that in place for a few days, and then use a rubber plug with a faucet filter screen attached to it allow off season drying of the interior of the water heater tank. This plugs the anode opening but allows air in. No picture of this plug device as my rig is away and in storage. The heater is glass lined, so all this is not necessary, but it's what I do. If something is dry, you don't usually experience corrosion.

Your air compressor is adequate, but just blow the lines thoroughly and multiple times. I don't use anti-freeze in them, but do in the sink and shower traps.

I close the bypass to get max pressure through the water lines.
That helps, thanks. Regarding the bypass, I see your point: that tank is a lot of extra volume to compress to the desired PSI, so it's best to isolate it.