Battery maintenance - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2019, 09:56 AM   #11

Trailer: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Iíd ask about installing four 6 volt batteries, I canít remember if ETI will do that or not, if not ask them for another battery box and and ask to purchase 2 more matching batteries and install yourself.
Have 2 solar panels installed along with a Zamp solar port and pick up a spare portable solar panel on sale sometime if needed or search for Jim Bís post and photos on his set up with four flexible panels on the roof as a option.
Ask ETI if you can supply your own inverter if they say yes then you can get what you want, if no you can add later.
If the above doesnít work you might want to look at a generator.
We have info on 2 12 volt batteries that we can provide (at a considerable expense). They are lithium but have a good reputation. Will definitely get that port put in and get a spare portable. Will check out Jim B too. Not sure how, but I will search.

Thank you.

Gori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:49 PM   #12

Trailer: None
Will this work with the current cover?

Farmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:40 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gori View Post
We're about to order a 21' Escape and we know that we are going to need a lot of power, want to boondock and work online at the same time.

I've been told about the bigger batteries. Can we get a bigger inverter?

Anything else that would be good for us? Or not so good for us?
A larger inverter and more batteries might not be a boon - you still have to have enough solar panels to be able to replace the power being consumed.

It would be a good idea to do an audit of what your power needs would be and go from there.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:49 AM   #14

Trailer: NA
Quote:
Iíd ask about installing four 6 volt batteries, I canít remember if ETI will do that or not, if not ask them for another battery box and and ask to purchase 2 more matching batteries and install yourself.
Have 2 solar panels installed along with a Zamp solar port and pick up a spare portable solar panel on sale sometime if needed or search for Jim Bís post and photos on his set up with four flexible panels on the roof as a option.
Ask ETI if you can supply your own inverter if they say yes then you can get what you want, if no you can add later.
I can't find Jim B's post with 4 panels. Does he have an AC unit too? I'm not terribly computer savvy.
Gori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:09 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Another approach is to go with lithium batteries. 2 12V, 100 amp hour lithium batteries are the equivalent of 4 6V batteries, and at 31 pounds each, will save quite a bit of weight. I doubt Escape would install them since it requires a different converter, and maybe a different solar controller, but it can be done. I just finished a conversion.

Tom's (tif-texas) point about needing to include a way to refill a larger battery bank is important. I have a pair of 160 watt panels on the roof, and can add another 160 watt portable when necessary. While I've never needed a generator even with 91 days of dry camping, I now carry a 900/700 watt propane only generator to recharge the batteries after a string of cloudy days.

Tags
battery charging, battery maintenance