Battery maintenance - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2019, 12:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19"
Battery maintenance

A friend with a 19' Escape told me that rather than bring his batteries indoors, he just leaves his trailer plugged in all the time when at home. He says that provides a trickle charge to the battery and keeps it fully charged. Is this true? We live in a relatively mild climate all year round and do not need to winterize.
Selfdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My trailer is plugged in at home year round, maintaining a full charge.
From Trojan battery site:
Can a flooded battery freeze?
The only way that a battery can freeze is if it is left in a state of partial or complete discharge. As the state of charge in a battery decreases, the electrolyte becomes more like water and the freezing temperature increases. The freezing temperature of the electrolyte in a fully charged battery is -92º F (-69º C). At a 40% state of charge, electrolyte will freeze if the temperature reaches approximately 16º F (-9º C).
Go here to answer all your battery questions:
https://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-s...q/#Maintenance
Old 06-03-2019, 12:45 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you have the solar option, your batteries will remain charged. i leave my trailer plugged in during the winter for heat reasons, but in summer and springtime the solar keeps my batteries charged.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I used to leave my trailer plugged in a fair bit. Charging batteries not being used every few months has worked fine too.

Now that I have solar I never plug in to charge batteries as it easily keeps the batteries full.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
My 2011 17B batteries made it through a couple of Oswego winters (weeks below freezing day & night, with dips below 0°F for days at a time). The 100 watt solar panel kept the batteries charged even under the trailer cover sold at the time by Escape.

Must have worked OK - the current owners of the trailer are still going strong on the same batteries 8 years later...
Old 06-03-2019, 06:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19"
Thanks

It seems clear that leaving the electricity connected does not harm the battery and keeps it charged. Thanks for your responses.
Selfdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I live where it got to -30 F last winter. I leave the trailer plugged in year round. I check the water level in the batteries when I winterize in the fall and make sure tonuse distilled water if they need any. Do the same in April as I ready the trailer for spring travel. Have done this with all types of batteries for many years. Does not shorten the life in my opinion. I have solar and some light gets in the building but to be safe, I just plug in.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-04-2019, 05:38 AM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Before I had a trailer with solar, and before I had electric available, I'd charge the batteries to 100%, check the fluid, then disconnect one lead. Six months later they'd still be 100%, or darn close to it. Now I leave the trailer plugged in.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:38 AM   #9

Trailer: 21' Escape in production 12/05/19
About to order.... any suggestions? Especially power related.

We're about to order a 21' Escape and we know that we are going to need a lot of power, want to boondock and work online at the same time.

I've been told about the bigger batteries. Can we get a bigger inverter?

Anything else that would be good for us? Or not so good for us?
Gori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:49 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
I’d ask about installing four 6 volt batteries, I can’t remember if ETI will do that or not, if not ask them for another battery box and and ask to purchase 2 more matching batteries and install yourself.
Have 2 solar panels installed along with a Zamp solar port and pick up a spare portable solar panel on sale sometime if needed or search for Jim B’s post and photos on his set up with four flexible panels on the roof as a option.
Ask ETI if you can supply your own inverter if they say yes then you can get what you want, if no you can add later.
If the above doesn’t work you might want to look at a generator.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
I’d ask about installing four 6 volt batteries, I can’t remember if ETI will do that or not, if not ask them for another battery box and and ask to purchase 2 more matching batteries and install yourself.
Have 2 solar panels installed along with a Zamp solar port and pick up a spare portable solar panel on sale sometime if needed or search for Jim B’s post and photos on his set up with four flexible panels on the roof as a option.
Ask ETI if you can supply your own inverter if they say yes then you can get what you want, if no you can add later.
We have info on 2 12 volt batteries that we can provide (at a considerable expense). They are lithium but have a good reputation. Will definitely get that port put in and get a spare portable. Will check out Jim B too. Not sure how, but I will search.

Thank you.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:49 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Sheep"; 2003 Toyota Tundra "Shep"; 2017 Aussie "Cody"
Will this work with the current cover?
Farmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:40 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gori View Post
We're about to order a 21' Escape and we know that we are going to need a lot of power, want to boondock and work online at the same time.

I've been told about the bigger batteries. Can we get a bigger inverter?

Anything else that would be good for us? Or not so good for us?
A larger inverter and more batteries might not be a boon - you still have to have enough solar panels to be able to replace the power being consumed.

It would be a good idea to do an audit of what your power needs would be and go from there.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:49 AM   #14

Quote:
I can't find Jim B's post with 4 panels. Does he have an AC unit too? I'm not terribly computer savvy.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:09 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Another approach is to go with lithium batteries. 2 12V, 100 amp hour lithium batteries are the equivalent of 4 6V batteries, and at 31 pounds each, will save quite a bit of weight. I doubt Escape would install them since it requires a different converter, and maybe a different solar controller, but it can be done. I just finished a conversion.

Tom's (tif-texas) point about needing to include a way to refill a larger battery bank is important. I have a pair of 160 watt panels on the roof, and can add another 160 watt portable when necessary. While I've never needed a generator even with 91 days of dry camping, I now carry a 900/700 watt propane only generator to recharge the batteries after a string of cloudy days.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:06 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 15-foot trailer, Plan A
battery keeps dying...

2014, 15 foot, escape, i keep the battery on a/c when not using, but I still am loosing battery power after a year...why is my battery failing? I have 12.88 v on it ... and i get flickering lights and refrigerator...is it possible my battery connections are not tight enough?
vickiervsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:28 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Is it the original battery? If so, it's approaching time for replacement.

Under what conditions are you getting a 12.88 volt reading. While charging?

Check the water level and remove and clean the battery terminals. See if that changes anything.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:33 PM   #18

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Lots of possibilities

1. Your battery is old. 5-7 years of use would be a swell maximum.
2. Many, most, if not all electrical connections corrode over time. It's related to galvanic corrosion. More on that MUCH later.

3. Start with cleaning your battery primary (at the battery) connections with abrasive methods. 120 grit sandpaper, baking soda wash, clean water wash, etc., etc. Get them lead contacts (both and all sides clean).

After that, either buy new batteries or work down the system contacts, cleaning, inspecting, repairing if required, but above ALL, paying close visual attention to all the connections.

I think your batteries are simply old and tired.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:20 PM   #19

3rd one, and this one from costco, interstate battery, I took it out and tested it as it came out of the battery spot, slight corrosion on terminals I will clean tomorrow...water level checked...and is up to snuff...
Old 09-01-2020, 10:21 PM   #20

thanks ... cleaning first thing tomorrow...

Tags
battery charging, battery maintenance