Battery Monitor - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2019, 06:41 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Battery Monitor

I'm considering a shunt based battery monitor and am wondering how accurate they are after time passes.

It seems to me that constant monitoring of amps in and amps out that any reading would become less reliable over time.

Do the higher end systems have 'smart' features that can learn how you use your power and compensate for this?

A system reset to delete data and start over?

Disconnect the battery and let it settle down after a full charge?

I'm guessing at this stuff (obvious,eh)

Old 09-11-2019, 07:24 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I installed a Trimetric system from Bogart years ago in my T@da, very complicated and told me things that I never really understood. I'm happy with the Go-Power info.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:28 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - since 1/9/2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
I'm considering a shunt based battery monitor and am wondering how accurate they are after time passes.

It seems to me that constant monitoring of amps in and amps out that any reading would become less reliable over time.

Do the higher end systems have 'smart' features that can learn how you use your power and compensate for this?

A system reset to delete data and start over?

Disconnect the battery and let it settle down after a full charge?

I'm guessing at this stuff (obvious,eh)
A battery monitor such as a Victron BMV712 battery monitor doesn't lose accuracy over time. It will display the current available battery capacity based on the measured current and temperature of the battery.

"Do the higher end systems have 'smart' features that can learn how you use your power and compensate for this?"

The Victron calculates the actual available battery capacity based on Peukert's Law.

What is Peukerts Law? | All About Lead Acid Batteries

The Peukert exponent is published by the battery manufacturer and entered into the battery monitor as a factor in calculating the currently available battery capacity based on actual load. The Peukert exponent does change as the battery ages (the Peukert exponent increases as the battery ages) but determining the Peukert exponent for a battery by testing is fairly complicated and not something most people would do. By the time the Peukert exponent has changed enough to greatly affect the calculated battery capacity, it's time to buy new batteries anyway.

"A system reset to delete data and start over?"

Yes, the Victron has resets that will establish new zeros or reset the data.

By the way, The Trimetric doesn't calculate the battery charge based on Peukert's law - only a more modern battery monitor such as the Victron has this capability.

Below is a video for testing the actual capacity of a lead acid battery. Again, most people just use the published capacity of the battery from the manufacturer as testing to determine battery capacity is somewhat complicated.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #4

I checked your site on our Mr. Peukert. His equation is obvious to the most casual observer.

I'm gonna do it!
Old 09-11-2019, 01:22 PM   #5

Quote:
I checked your site on our Mr. Peukert. His equation is obvious to the most casual observer.

I'm gonna do it!
You do know that to get an electrical engineering degree, you only have to take one additional math course to get a minor degree in math with it. I passed on that - I had already had more of triple integral math than i wanted. One course I took taught laurent expansions - used to do math proofs. Now try to use that in everyday life!
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...rent-expansion

That's why retired EE's can be high school / jr college math teachers.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
You do know that to get an electrical engineering degree, you only have to take one additional math course to get a minor degree in math with it. I passed on that - I had already had more of triple integral math than i wanted. One course I taught laurent expansions - used to do math proofs. Now try to use that in everyday life!
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...rent-expansion

That's why retired EE's can be high school / jr college math teachers.
My degree was also EE(Power Option) but I've never worked a single day at it. Went in the Army(I was ROTC) did my active duty and returned to the farm. Stayed in the reserve tho.

Had a prof tell me once that if we could go to the middle of the Sahara and draw a huge right triangle, label the sides, and inscribe "C square = A square + B square. Anyone out there that could see us would know we were 'somewhat' intelligent.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:57 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
I've installed and owned a few battery monitors and solar charge controllers in past years.

On our new 17B I removed the supplied charge controller right away. Then installed the Trimetric battery monitor and charge controller. I bought them because I think its a good idea if the charge controller can talk to the battery monitor. I also like the versatile programmability and available data output. Definitely not for those that want a set and forget system.

I think the best set and forget battery monitor is the Balmar,
https://marinehowto.com/balmar-sg200...ttery-monitor/
It will constantly adjust for the actual size of the battery bank and give a nice gas gauge type indication of how much juice you have left in the battery bank.

Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:13 PM   #8

Quote:
My degree was also EE(Power Option) but I've never worked a single day at it. Went in the Army(I was ROTC) did my active duty and returned to the farm. Stayed in the reserve tho.

Had a prof tell me once that if we could go to the middle of the Sahara and draw a huge right triangle, label the sides, and inscribe "C square = A square + B square. Anyone out there that could see us would know we were 'somewhat' intelligent.
I still remember my first weed out course at U of H - linear algebra. Dr. Betty J. Barr taught the course - U of H had hired her to "strengthen the engineering college's math skills". She is retired now but I still remember her vividly - and the stress I went through before every exam trying to get ready.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I still remember my first weed out course at U of H - linear algebra. Dr. Betty J. Barr taught the course - U of H had hired her to "strengthen the engineering college's math skills". She is retired now but I still remember her vividly - and the stress I went through before every exam trying to get ready.
My favorite was 'Spherical Trig" Dr Kumins (German) would walk around during pop quizzes looking over our shoulder and mutter "Such operations are not possible"
Old 09-11-2019, 04:51 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Quote:
My favorite was 'Spherical Trig" Dr Kumins (German) would walk around during pop quizzes looking over our shoulder and mutter "Such operations are not possible"
My wife was getting her degree in pure math at UC San Diego years ago. Sometimes for lack of a babysitter she would bring the kids to some of her 400 level classes. One of her professors used to wind down a lecture with a look at the kids and ask them if they understood what he just said. They would solemnly shake there heads no. He would reply "Thats ok.... nobody else understood it either".

jeffrow is offline   Reply With Quote