Better Check That Roof-Mounted Fridge Vent
While doing a post-trip Escape wash, I noticed the caulking looked loose over the screws that secure the roof-mounted fridge vent cover. Sure enough, with just the tip of a pocket knife, I was able to easily pull out four plugs of silicone caulking, at least one of which showed signs of rust. One rolled away, but below is what I found.
I would like to replace the rusted screws, but for now at least I'm going to clean them up, apply some sort of rust prevention, and re-install with some new caulk, probably a wad of butyl tape.
By the way, our Escape is just over a year old. I looked at taking this cover off several months ago while thinking about home made baffles, and the caulking was well adhered then.