Building a garage opening for storage - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2014, 07:48 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Lefttee, was it my quote you were asking about? The two firms I talked to both left me hanging -- took the information but then never got back to me. So the job is on hold until things get a little quieter in the summer.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2012 Nissan Frontier
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:05 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape
Good morning, Doug. Ruthe started the thread and I was just curious what kind of numbers she had been given. I was surprised that my job came in where it did. I thought the framing would be much more expensive. Wish I could have bought another 6" but we top of the door is barely below the roof line. I just hated to leave the trailer outside during the winter. Sounds like your contractors really wanted the job.

lefttee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:14 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
We just bought some property that has a garage that we thought would fit the Escape. However, now that we're measuring it seems some modifications are necessary. So it says on the website that the Escape is 8'6" tall. I'm assuming that means without the air conditioner, which would add another 5 inches (we have the polar cub).

Is that correct?
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:58 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
We just bought some property that has a garage that we thought would fit the Escape. However, now that we're measuring it seems some modifications are necessary. So it says on the website that the Escape is 8'6" tall. I'm assuming that means without the air conditioner, which would add another 5 inches (we have the polar cub).
Is that correct?
The only sure way of knowing your trailer height is to measure it unloaded, especially before the expense of modifying the height of the garage door opening.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:03 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
and this measurement needs to be perfectly level and your entrance needs to be level, otherwise if entering or leaving on an incline will impact the opening. IIWM I'd go with 9'6"-10' high and do not forget the width issue.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:57 AM   #16

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Another factor to consider is what happens to the door when it goes up. Here my garage door ends up higher than the door opening, as does the mechanism to pull it up. But in Fresno my door mechanism sat down lower than the door opening.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:00 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Another factor to consider is what happens to the door when it goes up. Here my garage door ends up higher than the door opening, as does the mechanism to pull it up. But in Fresno my door mechanism sat down lower than the door opening.
Yep, where the motor is mounted is important. We looked at a house the other day (we are thinking about moving so we can store our trailer on our property) and it had a 3rd garage door which would fit the trailer perfectly. Unfortunately, I'd need to completely redo the garage door opener and the mount for it because of a similar issue to what you describe.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:16 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
This is a 10H X 12W door. You can do a 10 X 10 but the 12W makes it much easier backing in. I would not want any smaller than 10W unless you have a straight backup which I don't. Mine is a tight 90 degrees.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (307.2 KB, 38 views)
Old 09-04-2016, 12:17 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
This is a 10H X 12W door. You can do a 10 X 10 but the 12W makes it much easier backing in. I would not want any smaller than 10W unless you have a straight backup which I don't. Mine is a tight 90 degrees.
Wow, nice home for your trailer Tom.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2016, 12:22 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Wow, nice home for your trailer Tom.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Yeah it's all I get to claim in to our house. I gave her the rest with the understanding that I get that stall in the garage but with wifi it's all I need.