Busting the toilet valve - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2016, 02:29 PM   #21

Trailer: 17
Thanks for the update Myron. Do the arrows show how you were tweaking it at those angles to make it leak at what looks like the bottom black fitting?
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:54 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
No tweaking necessary. Soon as I turned the water on the leaks began as seen where the arrows are pointing.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:53 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Busting the toilet valve

Myron was there a crack in the black fitting or how was it leaking, can't quite see on the photo (small iPhone screen and old eyes) [emoji6]

Cheers
Doug
Old 04-13-2016, 05:01 PM   #24

No, I could find no crack in the black. Water was escaping around the rim. Thinking another O ring in there might have failed but haven't taken the thing apart to see.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:49 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Thanks Myron hopefully a little investigation and a new o ring and you'll have a spare valve for next time.
Cheers
Doug
Old 04-14-2016, 05:19 AM   #26

Trailer: 2016 21' sold, current class C, Now looking
had that happen on a casita......campground had a parts store, but no flush module, so I ended up replacing the entire Thetford V. But it seems to happen after a several years
Don W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:48 AM   #27

No way to separate the black in-feed from the white nylon valve. Won't unscrew, must be glued together I guess, so looking like my old valve remains DOA.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:00 AM   #28

how does one get back behind the toilet to replace the valve?

thanks!

dan, escaper from three oaks, MI
dcollison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:11 AM   #29

Read my post #15.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:14 AM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Please add trailer size/model in your profile. That information helps us, help you when questions are asked.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:45 AM   #31

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcollison View Post
how does one get back behind the toilet to replace the valve?

thanks!

dan, escaper from three oaks, MI
It depends on the model and year of Escape. In our 2008 5.0 Classic we had to cut the supply line in the hatch (where the landing gear controls are) and remove the toilet. See our thread: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...alve-3748.html

In recent years, Escape has begun to use flexible lines which make it easier.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:06 AM   #32

we have a 2012 escape 17. thinking we may need to removed toilet to do any kind of work behind.
dcollison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:39 AM   #33

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B
So I'm Dan's wife -- and I'm about to order the Thetford 31705, but before I do, Dan talked to Tammy about this, and she suggested that the older version of the 31705 (which was manufactured I guess up until about two years ago) is more reliable. Someone may have mentioned this in this thread too -- I haven't gone back to look this morning.

Anyway -- before I order, is anyone aware of an online place that may have stashed the older 31705?

And, Myron, your photos are helpful BUT we still can't figure out how we'd get to this without removing the toilet. Our specs are in our sig -- will we need to pull the loo? And do you recommend grabbing a better o-ring at the hardware store before attempting this, as to save one of those always fun "in the middle of the job" grumpy errands?

Thanks!
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:47 AM   #34

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
E I believe Thetford changed that valve sometime, so that it could no longer be fully drained from the low point drain. That change causes Reace to change the winterizing method recommended so that antifreeze gets into the valve or water is blown out of it with air pressure. I don't know if that is the change Tammy is referring to, or if they changed something 2 years ago that made them less reliable overall.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:54 AM   #35

That's probably what Tammy's referring to - I'll check with Dan.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:33 AM   #36

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by medora View Post
So I'm Dan's wife -- and I'm about to order the Thetford 31705, but before I do, Dan talked to Tammy about this, and she suggested that the older version of the 31705 (which was manufactured I guess up until about two years ago) is more reliable. Someone may have mentioned this in this thread too -- I haven't gone back to look this morning.

Anyway -- before I order, is anyone aware of an online place that may have stashed the older 31705?

And, Myron, your photos are helpful BUT we still can't figure out how we'd get to this without removing the toilet. Our specs are in our sig -- will we need to pull the loo? And do you recommend grabbing a better o-ring at the hardware store before attempting this, as to save one of those always fun "in the middle of the job" grumpy errands?

Thanks!
Yes, our toilet had to be removed.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:37 AM   #37

Thanks, Cathy -- anyone know if our trailer would have the same general toilet specs as Cathy's? We may just give Reace a shout and see what he says today too.

"Pulling the Loo" -- seems like someone should have written a children's song about this
Old 05-12-2016, 05:19 PM   #38

All I can tell you is on my 2013 19 I was able to get my hands back there and manually unscrew the PEX connection from my Thetford valve. Two floor bolts later the unit was removed and ready for its replacement valve.
Attached Thumbnails
Valve3.jpg  
Old 05-12-2016, 05:36 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by medora View Post
Thanks, Cathy -- anyone know if our trailer would have the same general toilet specs as Cathy's? We may just give Reace a shout and see what he says today too.

"Pulling the Loo" -- seems like someone should have written a children's song about this
That was our 2011 19'. It is possible that the shop that did ours --- even though maybe it could be done without removing the toilet --- did not consider removing it to be a big deal as they do it all of the time, and had no interest in trying to work back there leaving it in, as that is easiest for them. They have seen hundreds of cracked toilet valves, they said.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:44 PM   #40

Gotcha Cathy (thanks for clarifying), and thanks to both of you. I think we're gonna give Reace a buzz just to check before we get in over our heads -- tho trying may be worth the hassle we'd save driving two hours RT to a tech we trust to fix this ...

Thetford is the only game in town, right? I'm always amazed these companies somehow keep going with components that are bound to fail -- and fail quickly. Same thing with our door lock