Busting the toilet valve - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2016, 12:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Busting the toilet valve

I towed up to the 4 corners and into Utah last week. It was a solo trip, a remedy for cabin fever. Permission granted by D.O. (Dear One). Arrive 4 PM at Goulding’s, well known red-rock country resort/campground complex next to Monument Valley. It dates from back to when FDR was in the White House. Wanted to walk in Hondo’s Monument Valley footsteps. Yes he bunked there. Also, needed to see Monument Valley in the snow.

Goulding’s is excellent. The campground, near empty, meant I had my pick of spots. At Goulding’s, went for the best view, full hookups, electric, cable TV, WiFi, and a connection to city water, $33.00. Why not? Indulged myself in a little out of season luxury. I could even shower in the trailer if I wanted to but of course there was no need to get crazy. All systems were go. But then I turned on the water heater and the pump. That’s when water came blasting out from behind the Thetford Aqua Magic V.

The ole training kicked in. I quickly shut the pump down and then, after the dinette seat lid was raised, I engaged my water feed cut-off. That PEX-line brass valve I put in many months ago finally paid off. Toilet now isolated and dry. The Aqua Magic V became a functional manual feed from a 3 gallon jug. Must look on the bright side of this, I thought. Was I really ever going to wash dishes in the sink? Lesson learned: After the February Quartzsite rally I never re-winterized. That subsequent 3 nights of freeze we had at home made my lazy self pay a price.* Now, must face the daunting task of pulling the toilet for a Thetford valve replacement.

The valve was not as expensive ($42.99) as I feared. Thank goodness for this forum, where I found FMLNM’s post which took much of the scare out of the process ahead. **

My visit into Navaho owned Monument Valley land was also not as expensive as I thought it would be. A 4-day pass cost me $20, but of course I was alone. Early next morning I self-drove the well maintained 14 mile dirt loop through the place. In the gift shop bought D.O. a charming, authentic Navaho pot, from Acoma Pueblo, 50% off. Oh, there was no snow.

Any other dismay? Coffee. The restaurant in the very nice new low profile Navaho visitor’s center restricted their Continental breakfast to hotel guests. Although in the gift shop there were plenty of posters of a determined Hondo standing feet shoulder width apart, finger on the trigger of a Winchester, of all the cowboy hats they had for sale there none were the actual replica of his iconic felt crown. That’s just wrong.

It would be hard to visualize what he and John Ford encountered in the 1940’s when they drove the dusty trail to make them movies. The valley is I guess as sacred as it was but now you approach it from a paved parking lot of curbs and sidewalks high on a bluff where you look down upon a packaged chessboard of red monoliths.

On the drive back to Goulding’s I got my coffee and a great breakfast burrito at a Navaho roach coach.

* As Larry would say, “…boy am I dumb.”
** Thanks, Fran and Dave
Attached Thumbnails
MonVal005.jpg   MonVal006.jpg   MonVal098.jpg   MonVal100.jpg  
Old 03-09-2016, 12:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
How ironic you should post this now. I spent all day yesterday, trying to plan a trip to Arches, Canyonlands and Monument Valley in June/July but came away with the thought that camping there in the heat of summer may not be the best idea. Now that I look at your photos, maybe Fall or next Spring is a better bet. Looks like you had a grand time ... minus the valve problem.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Sorry to hear about the toilet valve. At least it's the more pleasant end of the toilet to work on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
... Although in the gift shop there were plenty of posters of a determined Hondo standing feet shoulder width apart, finger on the trigger of a Winchester, of all the cowboy hats they had for sale there none were the actual replica of his iconic felt crown. That’s just wrong.
Yeah, "authentic" and "in the gift shop" are often not aligned. I wouldn't wear a western hat very often, but I would occasionally if I had one, and so I've looked at them. The price is enough to encourage very careful consideration, and I never end up buying one. A western wear store is probably a better source than any gift shop, because there is actually a huge variety in these hats, so it takes a good-sized store to have an adequate selection. A local store's lineup: Lammle's Western Wear & Tack - Felts; the $100 ones aren't very good.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have a Smithbilt. It's often loaned out for Halloween.
Gives me a headache.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:58 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Nice getaway Myron. I agree about Gouldings. We enjoyed it there. Another advantage of a late winter/early spring visit to MV is that you're less likely to get the high winds caused by the heat/convection of the desert. We had fine red dust in every nook and cranny for days afterwards!
Old 03-09-2016, 03:50 PM   #6

Trailer: none
Glad our experience with replacing the toilet valve was helpful! It's probably easier to get to in your 19 than it was in the 5.0 Classic. I think there might be a bit more space between the wall and the commode in yours.
It sure is nice to have the shutoff valve and be able to proceed as planned with a manual toilet. We learned the hard way with our previous Scamp and it was one of the first mods we made to our Escape. Nice to know that ETI now offers that in the build (as an option I think).
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Thanks for the post Myron.

Quick link to the talked about FMLNM post to help the searching impaired.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
Glad our experience with replacing the toilet valve was helpful! It's probably easier to get to in your 19 than it was in the 5.0 Classic. I think there might be a bit more space between the wall and the commode in yours.
It sure is nice to have the shutoff valve and be able to proceed as planned with a manual toilet. We learned the hard way with our previous Scamp and it was one of the first mods we made to our Escape. Nice to know that ETI now offers that in the build (as an option I think).
You can have it on your build sheet as we did for the 21', after having to replace ours at over $100 by a shop.

Myron, a Navajo pot from Acoma? I don't know much about pots but wondering about that one.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:10 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Does anyone have information on the shut off valve? It sounds like an easy project for the 19' and I'd rather install it and not need it as opposed to need it and not have it!
Old 03-09-2016, 05:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
Does anyone have information on the shut off valve? It sounds like an easy project for the 19' and I'd rather install it and not need it as opposed to need it and not have it!
Find a place in your pex line where you can gain access just before it goes to your toilet. Cut the line and install a shutoff valve...there are a variety of types and connectors. Here is one and or check out the link to our original post about this. I think another style is shown there.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...alve-3748.html.
Attached Thumbnails
2-Cut off valve.jpg  
Sold both 7/22
Old 03-09-2016, 05:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
Find a place in your pex line where you can gain access just before it goes to your toilet. Cut the line and install a shutoff valve...there are a variety of types and connectors. Here is one and or check out the link to our original post about this. I think another style is shown there.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...alve-3748.html.
Here are pics of two varieties...
The white pex one is in our 5.0 Classic and the other one (blue pex) is in Myron's 19'.
Attached Thumbnails
ToilVal3[1].jpg  
Attached Images

Sold both 7/22
Old 03-09-2016, 08:40 PM   #12

Cathy it was actually slip cast pottery. I tend to call all clay objects pots, from back in the day when I was into pottery. Yes, authentic, albeit mass-produced, by Acoma Pueblo artisans -- certainly no artifact but the subject, a stylized bear, caught my fancy. (D.O. has already got a ton of turquoise earrings.)

Probably too delicate to be sold at this valley kiosk during high season.
Attached Thumbnails
MonVal078.jpg  
Old 03-10-2016, 01:38 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
How ironic you should post this now. I spent all day yesterday, trying to plan a trip to Arches, Canyonlands and Monument Valley in June/July but came away with the thought that camping there in the heat of summer may not be the best idea. Now that I look at your photos, maybe Fall or next Spring is a better bet. Looks like you had a grand time ... minus the valve problem.
We found out when at the Grand Canyon right after a rain/snow storm (day temp was 9°) that, anywhere with picturesque rocks is especially beautiful right after any dust has been washed away by the storm. Our photos were 'picture postcard perfect'.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:57 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Then Spring it is ;-)

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:09 AM   #15

Three lessons learned when replacing the busted toilet valve:
  1. Use a ½ inch box wrench to unscrew the nuts bolting the unit to the floor.
  2. Yes, you can actually get your big hands back there and use your fingers to unscrew the PEX line from the valve.
  3. The O-ring on the valve nipple connecting to the flush tube is very difficult to keep in its proper place when reattaching the tube.
Attached Thumbnails
toil5.jpg   O-ring.jpg  
Old 03-11-2016, 04:06 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Myron,
Thanks for posting the instructions and pictures.

Tonny
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:30 PM   #17

Myron,
Is the O ring part of the Thetford 31705 Aqua-Magic V Toilet Water Module Assembly or you have to buy it seperately? Thanks.

Tonny
Old 03-11-2016, 04:57 PM   #18

That red 0-ring came with the package. Odd thing was the old valve didn't even have an O-ring. (?) The red one was so rubbery I finally gave up on it, went and bought a package of assorted 0-rings and picked one (black, and more beefy) closest to the right diameter. I had to take the valve off the toilet and was finally able to twist the tube to get it over the ring in place.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:05 PM   #19

Myron,
Thanks for the response. I always enjoy your mod. You have the expertise.

Tonny
Old 04-13-2016, 01:51 PM   #20

Was looking for the source of the big leak on my busted toilet valve. I was expecting it to be obvious. To my surprise, could find no visible sign, no crack or breach anywhere on the valve.

Where is the leak coming from? Attached a garden hose to the valve, turned it on. Here are the results.
Attached Thumbnails
vb1.jpg