Check your oil! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2019, 07:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Check your oil!

This morning I took my Tacoma in for an oil change. While I was waiting a woman walked in, went up to the desk, and said, "My engine oil light is coming on more often than it usually does. I think I have a leak."

Later when I asked, the mechanic told me he drained a quart and a half of oil out of her engine, which holds six quarts. So be sure to check the oil in your tow vehicle. This episode has shamed me into checking mine more often, that's for sure.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
This morning I took my Tacoma in for an oil change. While I was waiting a woman walked in, went up to the desk, and said, "My engine oil light is coming on more often than it usually does. I think I have a leak."

Later when I asked, the mechanic told me he drained a quart and a half of oil out of her engine, which holds six quarts. So be sure to check the oil in your tow vehicle. This episode has shamed me into checking mine more often, that's for sure.
Her next visit is going to start with something like, “My engine doesn’t sound very good.”
Old 01-31-2019, 10:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:

She probably thinks the truck comes with lifetime oil - no need to change or check it.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:17 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We have one vehicle that the engine oil light just doesn’t come on till the engine is almost dry. Almost got us, but we learned to manually check that car often now or it will get ya.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
While some vehicles have a low engine oil level warning light, traditionally they had only a low engine oil pressure warning light. If you run low on oil, you don't see low pressure until the pump starves. The low pressure light could reasonably be labelled "new vehicle required".

I've only owned one vehicle which consumed enough oil in operation that there was any need to check oil level between oil changes (which I bought used and should not have), so I'll admit to being lazy and essentially never checking it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Yes would agree since I get my oil changed every 3500-4500 miles don't check oil too often if ever. I do remember once about 30 years ago when my mom asked me about a light coming on in her car, when I ask her when was the last time she changed the oil she said why would you do that if nothings wrong with it? I was sold that day on Subaru's she drove that car into the ground. LOL Just wish they would make a vehicle that would tow a 21'.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:59 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Mike Lewis... Does this mean that when my "Check engine" light comes on I should lift the hood? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie "Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt'.
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:14 AM   #8

Toyota requires an oil change on my Tacoma every 5,000 miles, regardless of whether or not I use synthetic oil, which I do. I'm diligent about the oil changes, so I have neglected to check the oil level in between them every time. But no more. The truck has 170,000 miles on it now, so I need to pay closer attention.

BTW-- any opinions on fuel additives such as Lucas? I should probably start using one if they are worthwhile.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:46 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 21
Quote:
Toyota requires an oil change on my Tacoma every 5,000 miles, regardless of whether or not I use synthetic oil, which I do. I'm diligent about the oil changes, so I have neglected to check the oil level in between them every time. But no more. The truck has 170,000 miles on it now, so I need to pay closer attention.

BTW-- any opinions on fuel additives such as Lucas? I should probably start using one if they are worthwhile.
I had a Ducati that I put 98K miles on. I used Techron additive at every fill up.
I was easy to see the intake valves on this engine when the air filter was removed so I could see if the Techron was working.
When I sold the bike all 4 valves were completely free of any deposits. I'm using it in every vehicle I own now.
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:08 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I check my oil every week. Tires, washer fluid cooling system level and master cylinder check too. Doesn’t cost a nickel. Also in this weather wipe off the headlights and other light lenses and cameras. It’s in my DNA and my love for my wallet. At least a couple times a year when I’m getting ready to pull the Escape for the day and lift the hood to check the oil, a well meaning camper will walk up and ask, “Having problems?” When I tell them what I’m doing I either get a “Hmmm” or I should do that” but I’ve never gotten an “I did that just a little while ago.” I’ve run Mobile one full synthetic for my last 6 cars and rarely added any. Never put a quart in the 2012 Highlander and sold it at 181,000 miles. Checking roadworthyness before and during trips is so important. That includes a visual inspection of tire tread, I know I’ve picked up the presence of a screw or nail that hasn’t caused me problems “yet” several times. Remember the jokes about cars that burned a lot of oil in the 50s? “Fill the oil and check the gas” will you?
Iowa “polarize” Dave
Old 02-01-2019, 03:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Engine oil has suitable additives for engine operation. Manufacturers test their engines for the entire expected operating life with no additional products added to the recommended oil.

If you're trying to make a trashed old engine smoke less to con a prospective buyer into taking the vehicle, a good old can of STP seems like a great investment to me. Otherwise, I see no reason to use them.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Toyota requires an oil change on my Tacoma every 5,000 miles, regardless of whether or not I use synthetic oil, which I do.
A significant reason for changing oil is to remove wear products and contaminants, rather than to replace "worn out" oil; that's why the use of synthetic oil doesn't necessarily allow longer intervals.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:41 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
While some vehicles have a low engine oil level warning light, traditionally they had only a low engine oil pressure warning light. If you run low on oil, you don't see low pressure until the pump starves. The low pressure light could reasonably be labelled "new vehicle required".
My wife’s 2016 mini doesn’t even have an oil dipstick, you have to trust the electronics. Sadly, mini’s are not particularly reliable so your idea of it being a “new vehicle required” light is probably pretty accurate.
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Engine oil has suitable additives for engine operation. Manufacturers test their engines for the entire expected operating life with no additional products added to the recommended oil.

If you're trying to make a trashed old engine smoke less to con a prospective buyer into taking the vehicle, a good old can of STP seems like a great investment to me. Otherwise, I see no reason to use them.
I was inquiring about fuel additives, not oil additives.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:36 PM   #15

Trailer: 505 5.0TA
Here is a nail biter, get your popcorn out.
Check your oil after having it changed by your dealer. I was changing my own for years but didn't feel like messing with it on one occasion so took it in to have them change the oil. They talked me into changing the transmission oil as well.

Driving home I noticed a slight knock. Checked the oil and found it 4 quarts short. Filled it and decided to check the transmission to see how short that would be. Guess what... 4 quarts over!

Fast forward to the new truck, different dealer. "Please change my oil". "Here are your keys Sir" Drive home, no knock. Good, better check it. And here we go... oil all over the cover that adds aerodynamics. It was soaked.

Upside... the level was perfect!
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:03 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
I was inquiring about fuel additives, not oil additives.

Don't think that matters. It's just marketing.
Which is to say, if it makes you feel better, it's worth it. I guess.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Driving home I noticed a slight knock. Checked the oil and found it 4 quarts short. Filled it and decided to check the transmission to see how short that would be. Guess what... 4 quarts over!
They say not to overfill a transmission, so this shop almost ruined both your engine and transmission. That's quite a feat for one visit.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Don't think that matters. It's just marketing.
Which is to say, if it makes you feel better, it's worth it. I guess.
I'd never add anything to engine oil. But I can see how a fuel additive might help clean valves, as in rotorbudd's Ducati.

Yet another question: has anyone ever had an engine oil analysis done? I remember reading that an analysis of oil drained from the engine can indicate problems with the engine. My information is old, though, so I don't know if this is still done.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:25 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
What I find interesting is that my oil runs the hottest temperature between the other 2 liquids being monitored, the transmission and the coolant? Does that seem odd?
Old 02-02-2019, 08:05 AM   #20

Trailer: none
Quote:

I don't use fuel additives but always try to buy top tier gas:

https://www.toptiergas.com/