cleaning/polishing wood interior - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
cleaning/polishing wood interior

Does anyone have a recommendation re using a wood cleaner/polish on the cabinets and "wood" trim? It seems I have seen a post or two imply that the finish surface might not actually be wood, seemingly negating the value of a polish. Any advice...Glenn.
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Only the drawer and small doors are wood. All large sections and even the moldings have a paper based simulated finish. I would dust them only as any cleaning solution might impact the adhesives. There are even areas that use an oak look tape covering seams.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've only ever used a damp sponge to remove light soiling. I don't recall anybody posting on the subject. I think Tammy would be the best source of info. I'm sure they have to do some housework before delivering a trailer, so they would have the best answer.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
When at the factory, I picked up a scrap piece of the paneling to take a closer look at. I have attached the image here. I should have clarified that I was talking about the veneer. There is wood under the veneer in the form of plywood. The veneer in the small door and drawer fronts is a real oak veneer from what I can tell as you can see and feel the grain. In the sample I picked up I peeled back the top layer of the veneer and you can see the white substructure which is adhered to the plywood. It is much like vinyl flooring. The image top layer is very thin, and one reason why in other discussions some have recommended being very careful applying/removing 3M adhesive tapes to the surface. This type of paneling is very common in the RV industry and treated carefully should look good and last a long time.
Attached Thumbnails
vinylveneer.jpg  
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #5

The recommendation from the company that makes the panels is any mild household cleaner.
After wrecking a t-shirt and a flannel shirt, I'm staying away from Fantastic or anything containing "scrubbing bubbles" ( used it on my awning ). The "bubbles" are chlorine.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Thanks for the replies and insight. It seems that the doors might benefit from a penetrating wood preservative, but all else gets some variation of a household cleaner. Did I get it?
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #7

I'm sticking with soap and water ( when I finally see a need for something ). I don't see any need for a wood preservative which might change color or cause unwanted results.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
You can use Murphy's Oil on the real wood areas and Pledge on the Mac - Tac (fake wood ) panels and moldings.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)
Hello Everyone,

I am getting several pms regarding this discussion and after speaking with the manufacturer they say to use a mild household cleaner.

When the trailers finish production we Simply Works which is an all-natural mild cleaner and we find it doesn't bother people those people with chemical sensitivity.

For general cleaning after a camping trip we use Mr. clean or simply works diluted with water. I agree with Glenn, and do not use bleach or scrubbing bubbles on the paneling or cabinet doors however I do use a little VIM with bleach in the sink and bathroom.

Tammy
reace is offline   Reply With Quote