Compressor Advice - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2014, 09:17 AM   #1

Trailer: 19'
Compressor Advice

Thinking of getting a compressor for winterizing. Don't have much other need for one, so hoping to not spend too much. But all the different compressor options leave me somewhat confused. Anyone have any advice on size, electric or not, psi, cfm, etc.?

(I gather that I want an oil-less compressor, and use it at 30 psi with a blow out plug )
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:46 AM   #2

Hey,

My needs for my shop are much different lol 150 psi 4.7 CFM 100 Gal reserve tank. With what your looking to do IE a small tire inflator and winterizing the unit. Take a look at this one PORTER-CABLE C2002-WK it can do a little more ie run a finish nail gun / pin nail, stapler but that is about it.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:29 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Don't get a tankless compressor - you need a small volume of compressed air to blow through all at once, no just a continuous feed of air.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:32 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
Thinking of getting a compressor for winterizing. )
I bought a Porter Cable and stumble over it every time I need something in the side shed. Used it to blow out the lines in the trailer a couple times, but I find it easier to use RV anti-freeze and a small hand pump ( $20 ). Don't like having to drag the compressor from the back shed to the trailer, attach hose, plug it it, drag it back afterwards and drain it of any moisture ( read the manual ). It's kinda like winterizing the compressor.

I used it once on quarter-round in the kitchen.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
Thinking of getting a compressor for winterizing. Don't have much other need for one, so hoping to not spend too much...
For me it would be difficult to justify purchasing a compressor solely for the purpose of winterizing my Escape, which in reality is probably 10 or 15 minutes use a year. I have one that was given to me many years ago and it has been very useful for many things including:
  • filling tires on my cars, trailers, and bicycles
  • operating nail guns for my home renovations and woodworking hobbies
  • spray painting stuff
  • blowing leaves off my driveway
  • cleaning dust off my compressor.
Once you have one, I am sure that you will also find many other uses for it.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:41 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I've had a small compressor for years and wouldn't be without one now. That's the garage compressor, and I pretty much use it around the house as Dave described above. I also have a couple 12v compressors that I keep in the trucks.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Home Depot has many in the $50-100 range. I bought one some years ago. Beside winterizing, it's been a very handy inflating, cleaning, and brad-nailing tool. Some folks don't mind using pink antifreeze in their water lines, I'd rather not.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 21' Escape (June 2014)
I wonder if one of these five-gallon portable air tanks would work? Cost about $25 (before discount coupon). 5 Gallon Portable Air Tank You would have to fill it with another compressor, but a cheap little tire inflator might work or take it to a service station.

I do have the Porter-Cable unit mentioned above and do find quite a few uses for it around the house.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:28 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Yes, I think the portable tank is perfect for a person that doesn't have a home workshop or any other need for compressed air.

My shop compressor is too large to be portable. I made a portable tank from an old 20# propane tank. I use it once in a while away from home for misc. use. Easy to fill at a gas station and more than enough air to blow out the lines.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:18 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I paid $180 for an oil bath, 30 gallon compressor at a pawn shop. The same compressor is over $500 at Home Depot. I use the compressor all the time (inflating tires, cleaning filters, etc.). While I keep it in the garage, I have a couple if 50-foot hoses I can run to where my old camper was parked and my new camper will be parked. Anyway, they are very useful and I would check the local pawn shops.....maybe you will find a real bargain.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:24 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My understanding is that you want an oil-less compressor for blowing out water lines.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:48 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My understanding is that you want an oil-less compressor for blowing out water lines.
I agree, or at least an effective oil & water separator (example) or filter.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:38 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
My first compressor was an oilless and it did not last very long. But for light use it should be fine. For more air volume you can piggy back a portable tank to the compressor. That allows you to take it where you need it. You will use compressed air for more things than you think you will. I have a 60 gallon upright piped out to the garage and wouldn't be without it. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:28 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Get the oil-filled one with the belt drive and the cast iron. They last WAY longer. To use it in blowing out the water lines, just add a dryer. Campbell Hausfeld makes a nice dryer for around $40. What others have said is true-- you'll wind up using the compressor for way more jobs than you know.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:56 AM   #15

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Not sure about all this - maybe I will pay to have someone winterize my trailer not even sure what a compresser really is. Not sure if I would use one ever. I can cook a nice soufflé but some of this stuff is a wee bit out of my comfort zone.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:36 AM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
Not sure about all this - maybe I will pay to have someone winterize my trailer not even sure what a compresser really is. Not sure if I would use one ever. I can cook a nice soufflé but some of this stuff is a wee bit out of my comfort zone.
You don't need a compressor to winterize. You CAN use a compressor to blow water out of the lines, that's all. As for what a compressor is, ever inflate your tires?
Old 09-26-2014, 05:53 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
While oil-less vs oil bath may be of concern when blowing out water lines because of oil contamination, the amount of oil that would be introduced, if at all, would be so miniscule as to not concern me. I say that having spent a good part of my working life in public water supply operations, and I am very picky about the water I drink. That being said, I do have an oil separator on my compressor because I use it for spray painting. However, it is precautionary. Prior to installing it, I did some extensive testing (essentially blowing air at a folded paper towel over an extended period of time) with no discernible oil ending up on the towel. I also "bubbled" compressed air in a 5 gallon bucket for over an hour as the compressor cycled. Oil floats on water and again, no visible oil (droplets or sheen) on the surface. But you have to be comfortable with your own personal actions.

I too, would not purchase an air compressor just to winterized a trailer (if I lived where winterization was necessary), but an air compressor is like a Dremel tool, you keep finding more and more uses for it.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:03 AM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I bought a small air compressor last fall, using winterization as the "new tool excuse". So far, at least, it has seen very little use. I do spend a lot of time in my work shop, but the air nailer and other components aren't the right tool for the (my) jobs.

I can see it would be useful if I tackled trim work or some such around the house, but as far as I can see it's not a cabinetmakers best friend.

I don't use my dremel much either...

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:57 AM   #19

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
Since I travel south to camp in the winter I have winterized many times on the road before returning home. I use a 12 V air compressor I bought from Home Depot for about $20. I plug it into the trailer and let it build up to 40 psi then turn it off and purge the line to each faucet and commode. It takes about 10 minutes with the wife operating the faucets.
Eddie
Note: I first drain and bypass the WH. and have a two way valve on the water pump input to fill the water system with anti freeze after the water is purged from the system.
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:18 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
A 12v compressor is useful to bring along with. If you travel into different altitudes and/or the weather changes quickly they are handy for maintaining correct tire presures

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote