cover for 21 classic - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2019, 11:15 AM   #1
RWS

Trailer: 2014 escape 21
cover for 21 classic

I'm looking at finally covering my 2014 trailer. I sent calmark a e-mail and also Escape. I was wondering if anybody would recommend one that would last a few years, and if the model 1 would fit or model 2. I see overdrive is avaliable online. Is it the same as Escape sells? I know Calmark are high quality but is it worth it? I live in western Montana.
RWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:28 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I'm on my 4th cover, only 2 for the Escape which I currently cover with the Calmark. If I knew then what I know now, I'd get the ADCO Tyvek again, got 6 years out of the last one of those.

The Calmark does a very good job but I find it too unwieldy for my trailer, enough so I do not use it as often as I should.

No idea if you would get the 15-18 or the 18-20. My Starcraft had a 17' box that they called a 20' trailer, the 20' cover was oversize for it.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:14 PM   #3
RWS

cover size

I only plan on covering the box of trailer which is a little over 17 ft. The adco model one fits up to 20 ft trailer. I think that would do to the classic being more stream lined compared to other box trailers. The model 2 seems like it might be to big and floppy. Any input from others who have gotten either size? The classic overdrive polypro is 233 on amazon. Wonder how that compares to the one Escape sells?
Old 09-01-2019, 02:31 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Keep in mind the covers are made for traditional trailers, as in taller and wider.
Old 09-01-2019, 05:14 PM   #5
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWS View Post
I only plan on covering the box of trailer which is a little over 17 ft. The adco model one fits up to 20 ft trailer. I think that would do to the classic being more stream lined compared to other box trailers. The model 2 seems like it might be to big and floppy. Any input from others who have gotten either size? The classic overdrive polypro is 233 on amazon. Wonder how that compares to the one Escape sells?
Hey RWS, We purchased 'the Classic Accessories OverDrive PermaPro Heavy Duty Cover for 15' to 18' Travel Trailers' (from Amazon) and use this to cover our 2019 Escape 21.

We like how it fits our 21 and it would probably fit your 2014, 21 similarly. It covers everything, including the spare tire in the back and front tongue area, but you could just cover the box, if you prefer since it has numerous straps all over. I really like the nylon, water repellent material, all the air pockets for ventilation and the zippered side panels are really nice for quick access while it's covered.

We've only had this one for 4 months so can't speak to it's longevity yet, but it does come with a 3 year warranty. Pretty sure this is not as good quality as a Calmark or others and it only has a 3 star on Amazon... but it costs less and so far, personally, I would give it a 5 star rating - all the stitching is nice, even and strong. So far we've taken it on and off about 5 times and it's very lightweight and easy to handle. We find it takes 2 of us to cover it but super easy for one person to uncover it. Will be happy to post on the status of this cover in 3 years...fingers crossed!

Also, thankfully, someone on this forum gave great advice and warned us to be careful with the roof top solar panel because the sharp metal corners on top ripped their cover. Thus, we now attach foam pipe covers over the corners before putting on the cover. We're convinced, it helps. Thank you, whoever you are!! Hope this helps! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:11 PM   #6
RWS

Thanks for your reply, I new the smaller one would work and you just confirmed it. I believe my trailer is is even more compact than yours as it is the classic style. Calmark says about 810 for their model. I have a sunbrella umbrella on my deck and has lasted 15 years but it's only out 5 months a year. Tough call on this one. I do need to do something the roof is getting chalky and local storage is 96 a month. I use it for when we have guests since I have a small house so I would like to keep it around.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:25 PM   #7
RWS

Well, I found tyvek, prop covers on a couple sites, etrailer, campworld, amazon. Price around 250 but many reviews say only last 3 or 4 years if lucky enough it doesn't tear. In the years before building a wood shed my silver tarps lasted less do to the uv rays. With that in mind I will most likey go with the 800 dollar calmark. The trailer will be covered most of the year so quality should make a difference, and it's made in USA which is important to me. Will make final choice later. Any other input from you guys would be helpful.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:56 AM   #8

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWS View Post
Well, I found tyvek, prop covers on a couple sites, etrailer, campworld, amazon. Price around 250 but many reviews say only last 3 or 4 years if lucky enough it doesn't tear. In the years before building a wood shed my silver tarps lasted less do to the uv rays. With that in mind I will most likey go with the 800 dollar calmark. The trailer will be covered most of the year so quality should make a difference, and it's made in USA which is important to me. Will make final choice later. Any other input from you guys would be helpful.
I have a Calmark I have used for 2 seasons, snow beat me the first season that I will sell for $300. I paid $595 + $74 shipping 12/06/16. It is clean, free of rips/tears. It fits our 2016 Classic 21 perfectly. We use a plastic tarp over the storage box/propane tanks.

I am in NW MT.

Currently building a 24X24X12 high RV cover for all my trailers.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:06 AM   #9

Robert,

I sent you a PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:51 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_bullet View Post
I have a Calmark I have used for 2 seasons, snow beat me the first season that I will sell for $300. I paid $595 + $74 shipping 12/06/16. It is clean, free of rips/tears. It fits our 2016 Classic 21 perfectly. We use a plastic tarp over the storage box/propane tanks.

I am in NW MT.

Currently building a 24X24X12 high RV cover for all my trailers.
did you sell your calmark cover?
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:11 PM   #11

I have not but am tentatively meeting with a local, potential buyer next Wednesday. I will let you know either way after that. Thanks for asking.

Since you are from Texas you know what local can mean in Montana.

BTW this is for a classic 21 (2016) not the new one with flat sides. Don't know if that matters.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
did you sell your calmark cover?
Sent you a PM.