Cover For Trailer - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-18-2015, 10:39 AM   #61
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Bandera, Texas
Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Posts: 136
I need some advice, with rationale, to make a choice for storage. I live in southern Texas (Bandera) and have 3 choices for storage for my 5.0TA: build a $13 K shelter and plug in next to the house, buy a CalMark cover ($650+) and leave the 5.0 outside plugged in next to the house, or rent an indoor climate controlled unit ($127/mo) a few miles away without electricity for plug in. How important is keeping the unit plugged in during long periods of not traveling? Thanks.
__________________

MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:59 AM   #62
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 13,693
The solar may still work with a cover, otherwise a portable unit up on the roof could be used. I find with a cover, the effort to put on and off sometimes may take away from the spontaneity of keeping the trailer ready for camping, in your yard, plugged in with the refer already cold and filled with beer. With a $40k investment, another $13k is worth it to protect plus a good selling point later.
__________________

__________________
Jim
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why………..Mark Twain
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:21 AM   #63
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 2,161
With those winds and blowing dust storms in TX I don't know if I'd go for a cover. Think I'd opt for a 3 side shelter if you've got the space.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:29 AM   #64
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Bandera, Texas
Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Posts: 136
Thanks to both of your for your insight. My gut tells me to go for the shelter. While I have the $13 K, it's still hard to part with it.....if I don't really need to do so. Much appreciate your input.
Tom
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:34 AM   #65
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Posts: 1,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The solar may still work with a cover, otherwise a portable unit up on the roof could be used. I find with a cover, the effort to put on and off sometimes may take away from the spontaneity of keeping the trailer ready for camping, in your yard, plugged in with the refer already cold and filled with beer. With a $40k investment, another $13k is worth it to protect plus a good selling point later.
are you suggesting that a solar panel on a trailers roof may still provide a enough of a trickle charge to keep the batteries topped up?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:47 PM   #66
Senior Member
 
blue_bullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Fortine, Montana
Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
I need some advice, with rationale, to make a choice for storage. I live in southern Texas (Bandera) and have 3 choices for storage for my 5.0TA: build a $13 K shelter and plug in next to the house, buy a CalMark cover ($650+) and leave the 5.0 outside plugged in next to the house, or rent an indoor climate controlled unit ($127/mo) a few miles away without electricity for plug in. How important is keeping the unit plugged in during long periods of not traveling? Thanks.
I have a similar dilemma for a 21 due next Oct. I got a quote for materials for a 12'HX16'WX40'L RV cover of just under $3K. That would cover my 21 plus 2 or 3 other utility trailers. That's w/o sides just a steel roof. Add to that footings (concrete/sono tubes) and labor. You may find a suitable structure for less than $13K. $13K sounds high to me unless you have some stringent HOA rules.

I am leaning toward the pole barn. I have covered other trailers over the winter with styrofoam blocks and plastic tarps. They always leave dirt/moisture and take time to cover/uncover for use.
__________________
Rob
(“You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely.” ― Ogden Nash)
blue_bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:51 PM   #67
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Posts: 3,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
are you suggesting that a solar panel on a trailers roof may still provide a enough of a trickle charge to keep the batteries topped up?
Even a small panel is more than adequate to maintain batteries over the winter. I've been doing it for years with my boats.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:06 PM   #68
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 13,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
are you suggesting that a solar panel on a trailers roof may still provide a enough of a trickle charge to keep the batteries topped up?
Yes...
__________________
Jim
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why………..Mark Twain
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:12 PM   #69
Commercial Member
 
tractors1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Posts: 2,326
Love having my 21 plugged in while stored, lets me run a ceramic heater and power tools in a warm trailer for doing mods!
__________________
Charlie Y

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 02:01 PM   #70
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Posts: 1,874
I'm sorry, my post (#65) got away from me. In post #62 I thought cpaharley2008 was implying that a solar panel, on the roof of a trailer, covered by a trailer cover, might possibly give enough charge to trickle charge a battery. Did I read cpaharley2008's post correctly??
__________________

J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.