Cover For Trailer - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2015, 12:32 PM   #21

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We have the ADCO cover as well. Can't find the number but I think it's probably the next size up from Ron's (32840) as our unit has A/C and a satellite antenna. (The cover still comes to the ground.)
Attached Thumbnails
1-IMG_2698.JPG   1-IMG_2699.JPG  

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 02:27 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I like the vents on the sides, but I'd miss having the opening for the door. I ordered the CalMark, expecting it any day now. Did not opt to try to cover the storage box and tanks, as I did with the 17, going to try something different there. Don't know what that will be yet, though!
Old 09-26-2015, 06:20 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
I like the vents on the sides, but I'd miss having the opening for the door.
The ADCO does have two opening panels. The front one allows access to the door.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 05:47 PM   #24

Ah, I see it now. Thought it was seam..
Old 09-27-2015, 06:46 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B

I purchased my cover from this place. RV Camper Covers | Motorhome Travel Trailer Covers
Was much cheaper than the Calmark, has a zipped opening at the door, and fits my 19' quite well. Have used it over the past two winters and it has held up really well. IMHO, these covers give you much more bang for your buck than a Calmark

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:09 AM   #26

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Am wanting one myself after giving up the idea of building a shed. We had an Adco previously for our 17B and although it was very good, we ordered too large. I see on Amazon that a 15-18' for $194. Will probably order that one because if it doesn't fit I know I can return it with no problem. CalMark is a great cover no doubt but was quoted $650.

Edit: went with Designer Series like we had w/17B; has Tyvek top: $220

So Ross, What size Adco cover would you recommend for a 17 with AC?
Old 09-28-2015, 08:29 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Restock Fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm not sure they will pay to ship it back unless there is something wrong with the item, if it is your mistake, then I believe you will have to pay, they have a complete section on reasons for returning an item.
Checking the facts- I did pay a 20% restock fee on the grease gun ($8.00) however they paid the freight to & fro, so not a bad deal.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:39 AM   #28

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
I agree with Rich from Post #2 as well. We had Calmark make a custom cover for our 15' Parkliner a couple years ago, and it is remarkable. They make them from Sunbrella fabric, can't beat it, and put in zippered doors wherever you need them. Great folks to deal with too, a family run company just like ETI.

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:00 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
So Ross, What size Adco cover would you recommend for a 17 with AC?
Sorry Tom; wen't camping & didn't notice your question. After opening the box for a 21-22' trailer, I decided after reading the warning about size to not open up the saran-wrap cover. Amazon sent me a label for the return with no charge. One day left for their "normal" return, however they've been great on other items.

To answer your question finally, I would measure the box and use that as your guide. These generic covers are generally made for the Lance/Rockwoods of the world which are wider & taller than an Escape, so to avoid it being too big you need to take that into account.

Now I'm wondering what to do. Order the 15-18', bite the bullet & go Calmark, or do nothing? It was hard enough putting one on a 17 with no solar panel- covering a 21 will be that much harder.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:12 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
So we put our Elite Shield brand cover on our Escape 21 about 3 weeks ago and having just checked it for the second time since then I am happy with it so far. The price is $169 U.S., so if it lasts 3 years I think it will have done its duty. Anything more will be bonus.

The fit is a bit loose, but as we don't get much wind here I am not concerned about the fabric rubbing on the gel coat.

I have a small heater/fan unit running continuously to raise the interior temperature just a couple of degrees warmer and minimize any condensation. Also, in the sink I put a Dri-Air unit to absorb moisture. We have had a few periods of rainy days, but not the many weeks that are predicted for our typical PNW winters here in the Vancouver area. The inside of our Escape is bone dry at the moment. I hope it stays that way right through until spring.

I have attached pics of the cover and also the two moisture control devices we are using. In spring I hope to report that all went well.

One final note: Accessing the trailer while covered requires me to release 5 straps that connect under the trailer. Laying on a piece of plywood I can unzip the side and roll it up in about 5 minutes. Zipping it up again takes about 10 minutes and I use a hand extending contraption to grab the straps under the trailer from the opposite side and then tighten them by hand.

Bob K
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3499.jpg   IMG_3493.jpg   IMG_3496.jpg   IMG_3495.jpg  
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:38 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I suggest you put that heater on the stove cover and off the vinyl floor. May prevent discoloration there or at least put an oven pan between it and the floor.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:02 PM   #32

Taking that comment one step further, I'm not sure I'd leave a heater with a fan in an enclosed trailer. If that fan froze up you could have real problems. When I had a sailboat I used something called a Goldenrod to keep the temperature slightly elevated. That product is only a heating element, but enclosed in a metal case. I use two Dri-Z-Air containers in my 19, and they do the trick nicely.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:57 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I thought from the picture it was one of those static heaters, no moving parts, similar to leaving a 100 watt light on 24/7.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:05 PM   #34

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I was given one of those alien spaceships to use in my trailer. Belonged to a friend with a boat. Don't know what he replaced it with. But, I could never determine that it was doing anything and finally I junked it.
Replaced it with two Dri-Z-Air containers.
I leave the MaxxFan open an inch, sometimes run an oil-filled radiator. All cupboard doors open.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:18 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We have used Damp Rid and dump the water once in a while. Leave it in a tub so can't overflow.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:40 PM   #36

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Tried Damp Rid last year, ended up with 2 frozen Damp Rid buckets for the winter.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:45 PM   #37

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I thought from the picture it was one of those static heaters, no moving parts, similar to leaving a 100 watt light on 24/7.
Well, the description was
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
I have a small heater/fan unit running continuously to raise the interior temperature just a couple of degrees warmer and minimize any condensation.
... and it appears to be a Caframo Stor-Dry, about which the manufacturer says:
Quote:
This dual action air dryer uses a low wattage heating element and internal fan to both heat and circulate the air.
Now that we've sorted that out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
... I'm not sure I'd leave a heater with a fan in an enclosed trailer. If that fan froze up you could have real problems.
I would hope that a heater (especially one with a fan) would have a high-temperature protective shutdown feature; however, the specs don't mention one, and neither does the manual.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:32 PM   #38

Regarding the heater/fan: I guess I thought that the low wattage (90 W) and intended use in RV's meant it was safe to use in the trailer over the winter, though I always checked every 2-3 weeks in our previous trailer in case it started acting up. I'm wondering if it is any more risky than leaving our PVR or on while we are on vacation? Any electricians with an answer on that?

As to its effectiveness, from our experience with the previous trailer it really made a difference, simply by raising the trailer's temperature a bit and reducing condensation. I think that it should extend the life of the desiccant and maybe make the trailer drier.

Bob K
Old 11-12-2015, 10:37 PM   #39

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The problem I have with the alien spaceship is - where does the moisture go?
With the Dri-Z-Air, it is collected in the reservoir, which you empty from time to time.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:50 PM   #40

With the air in the trailer a bit warmer, it holds more moisture, which helps to keep it from condensing on surfaces in the trailer.