Did the bearings and had a surprise. - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-01-2018, 03:50 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: West Coast, Florida
Trailer: None now
Posts: 1,278
Did the bearings and had a surprise.

I'm coming up on the one year mark so it's time to at least do an initial bearing job before we travel across the country.
Did the drivers side front and had grease on the back plate. Now I'm glad I never added grease to the hubs as the seal was leaking.
Cleaned up and greased the bearings and installed a new seal and adjusted the brake pads.
Pulled Drivers side rear. Surprise, it too had grease all over the back plate but the big surprise was no brake dust. Other than some mild rust the inside is clean as can be. I checked the connections to the magnet and they were fine. Then worked my way to the front brake wiring where the other side and the rear on this side split off. The hot wire was not connected so I stripped and re-spliced it. Now I have voltage running to it and the magnet grabs the drum. I finished today as it took awhile to remove and reinstall the loom on the brake wiring. Both drums were grease free on the passenger side and the brake pads and parts looked fine. It stopped fine with one brake missing and doing the 3000 mile adjustments gave no hint there was a problem with the brake. I guess I could have looked for a dirt road and tested but since it seemed fine never gave it a thought. I took it out for a test and it actually does not feel any different. But in wet or slippery conditions it may make a difference that I have all four brakes functional now. I took about a 50 mile test ride and checked hubs and drums for excessive heat and all are fine.
Now I'm ready to do around 8 thousand miles shortly.
__________________

wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 04:25 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 345
Dang, I'll be checking that stuff on our new one in June. Thanks.
__________________

__________________
No good deed goes unpunished.
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 04:48 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Great Eggstrications's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Redmond, Washington
Trailer: 2015 19' Escape
Posts: 137
I'm in the habit of checking hub temps frequently while on a trip, hoping to be able to spot a non-functional (due to adjustment or electrical issue) or over-functional (dragging/binding) brake early on. I just look for consistent temps among the 4 wheels by shining the laser pointer of my IR thermometer on the lug nut surface (aluminum wheels), and through one of the holes in the wheels onto the brake drum itself. I also check the tire threads for consistent or out of wack temps. And I do the same thing on the tow vehicle as well. Before IR thermometers got so cheap, I used to hit the manual brake lever on my brake controller while on gravel and look at the skid marks. This worked ok on a single axle trailer, but wouldn't work so well with dual axles - needed an observer to see what each set (left and right) were really doing.
__________________
Discretion is the better part of boredom.

Tow Vehicle: 2012 Toyota 4Runner Trail, KDSS, BFG A/T KO's, ScanGauge, B&M Tranny Cooler, 20" Opt7 LED Light Bar, LED DRL's, Prodigy P2 Controller, Timbren Rear Springs
Great Eggstrications is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 04:52 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: West Coast, Florida
Trailer: None now
Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Eggstrications View Post
I'm in the habit of checking hub temps frequently while on a trip, hoping to be able to spot a non-functional (due to adjustment or electrical issue) or over-functional (dragging/binding) brake early on. I just look for consistent temps among the 4 wheels by shining the laser pointer of my IR thermometer on the lug nut surface (aluminum wheels), and through one of the holes in the wheels onto the brake drum itself. I also check the tire threads for consistent or out of wack temps. And I do the same thing on the tow vehicle as well. Before IR thermometers got so cheap, I used to hit the manual brake lever on my brake controller while on gravel and look at the skid marks. This worked ok on a single axle trailer, but wouldn't work so well with dual axles - needed an observer to see what each set (left and right) were really doing.
We finally went hi tech and bought an ir thermometer. Once a long time back I made the mistake of feeling the brake drum on a trailer.
Not quite as bad as touching a catalytic converter but it will remove skin. So I just felt the hubs, if they all felt similar I was happy.
Now I can check the actual temperatures. Would have found the non functional brake right away with one of these.

And since the 2 axles serial numbers were sequential I suspect whoever did the drivers side at Dexter does not know how to install seals.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:20 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Notasulga, Alabama
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Posts: 1,733
This may be a dangerous question to post on a forum, but is there a consensus "best" IR thermostat make/model for taking such hub/tire temperature readings?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:48 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Great Eggstrications's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Redmond, Washington
Trailer: 2015 19' Escape
Posts: 137
I don't know about "best", but I do know that I bought this in 2012 and have been real happy with it, especially since at that time it was $58, and it's now almost $79. Uses a 9 volt battery, but the battery has lasted literally for years, spending 99.9999 percent of it's time waiting for me to pull the trigger. Comes with a nice zipper storage pouch, and the bright red laser spotting beam can be used for other fun activities too. I'm not too interested in and can't vouch for absolute accuracy, but I'm really more interested in spotting brake and tire and bearing readings where one of them deviates from the others.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg raytek.jpg (18.7 KB, 24 views)
__________________
Discretion is the better part of boredom.

Tow Vehicle: 2012 Toyota 4Runner Trail, KDSS, BFG A/T KO's, ScanGauge, B&M Tranny Cooler, 20" Opt7 LED Light Bar, LED DRL's, Prodigy P2 Controller, Timbren Rear Springs
Great Eggstrications is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:13 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: West Coast, Florida
Trailer: None now
Posts: 1,278
We went with this. A couple people at work had this one while I was there to check for bad connections at weather heads and such. Seems to work OK and are just point and squeeze the trigger . Some of them have all sort of features. Features make it more complicated than I want. Seems to work OK, and gives the same reading if I aim it again at something so at least it is consistent.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61vaL7pqn9L._SL1500_.jpg (125.4 KB, 18 views)
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:17 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Notasulga, Alabama
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Posts: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Eggstrications View Post
I don't know about "best", but I do know that I bought this in 2012 and have been real happy with it, especially since at that time it was $58, and it's now almost $79. ....
Thanks for the feedback! I'll check into it....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:24 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Notasulga, Alabama
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Posts: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
We went with this. ...
Looks like another good one to consider.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:24 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Great Eggstrications's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Redmond, Washington
Trailer: 2015 19' Escape
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
We went with this. A couple people at work had this one while I was there to check for bad connections at weather heads and such. Seems to work OK and are just point and squeeze the trigger . Some of them have all sort of features. Features make it more complicated than I want. Seems to work OK, and gives the same reading if I aim it again at something so at least it is consistent.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Geez - I had no idea these had come down so much in price. Six years ago when I was shopping for one, there were very, very few on the market, and the one I got was the 'cheap one'. Now it looks like 20-30 bucks will get you there. No excuses now, guys.
__________________

__________________
Discretion is the better part of boredom.

Tow Vehicle: 2012 Toyota 4Runner Trail, KDSS, BFG A/T KO's, ScanGauge, B&M Tranny Cooler, 20" Opt7 LED Light Bar, LED DRL's, Prodigy P2 Controller, Timbren Rear Springs
Great Eggstrications is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.