Driveway Stains - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Robert,

We're heading out this weekend in the SittEscape and will take some pics and post them asap.

K&KSitte

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #22

Robert,

Here are the pics of my fiberglass propane tanks, set up in the standard array on the front. I've included the last pic just to show that it all fits together nicely, even leaving room for the storage box between the tank cover and the trailer body.

K&KSitte
Attached Thumbnails
photo(26).JPG   photo(27).JPG   photo(28).JPG  

Honda Pilot 2019
Old 04-27-2013, 11:41 PM   #23

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Hi Ksitte,

Thanks for the pictures.. I can see right away that your 17B uses a different propane tank retention arrangement at the bottom of the tanks vs that shown in the first photo in this thread.

Are your fibreglass tanks restrained against lateral movement at the base of the tank?
Old 04-28-2013, 12:57 AM   #24

Robert,

Yup, there's a metal, oval pan that accommodates the fiberglass tank plastic housing.

KSitte

Honda Pilot 2019
Old 04-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #25

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Hi KSitte,

Very cool, where did you get that pan? :-) I'm assuming it just bolts to the frame rails like the rusting steel one does?
Old 04-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It is probably the same one we all have. If it were me, I would strap the lower half two together, the box would prevent rear ward and the jack front ward motion. Nice being able to see your propane level. These tanks also come in 25# sizes, same width but a little taller, for some extra reserve.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Driveway Stains Part II

After cleaning up the propane tray rust I decided to look into the battery box mount. As you can see from the photos there was a great deal of rust where the wooden mounting blocks are bolted through the frame. The plastic boxes were clean and had a bit of rust on the bolts but everyting came apart easily and I was able to reuse all bolts, washers and nuts.

As before I used a wire bush on a portable drill, primed and painted. For good measure I also did the same to the exposed portion of the bolt on the inside of the battery box. The plastic boxes are mounted on two pieces of 1/2 plywood, mine were too weathered to determine if it was pressure treated plywood so I put a coat of black paint on the wood blocks. Everything is now coated with fresh paint.

I am not sure why so much rust, the first year I owned my Escape I stored it outside during the summer months. Otherwise any exposure would have been when in use or tow.

I am not sure it is necessary for those of you having exposed battery boxes to take everything apart but I certainly would inspect things carefully. As you can see from the photo the rust area is hidden under the box, you will need to look for rusty bolts or other rust stains.
Attached Thumbnails
photo.jpg   image.jpg  
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:53 AM   #28

Trailer: 2012 19' Escape
was your box an after market purchase. I have only seen the white ones in pictures of others Escapes.

we are the Worth's and this is our little fort....Fort Worth
Janet W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #29

No, Escape was using the dual black boxes with the nylon web strap. The tongue cargo box was under development when I ordered.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #30

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17 B
I noticed the same with Cafe Egg parked now behind the house on the driveway: Rust on the concrete. In my case it is coming from one of the two battery storage bays on the frame. I need to do something about that as well. Haven't noticed any problem on the hitch yet, below the propane tanks.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #31

Gerta,
One theory I had for the abundance of rust was the trip my trailer took across Canada. If I recall correctly the driver took seven days to make the journey, some delays due to snow storms. There could have been some heavy salt and deicing operations going on in route and some of that may have made it to the trailers. Since your trailer was on the same truckload as mine that is one explanation why we are seeing so much rust.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #32

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17 B
Paul, you maybe onto something here! That is right, the delivery took longer due to snow storms, and I am sure there were salted roads involved! Could be only that, because Cafe Egg was all of last year in climate controlled indoor storage since I had a baby. And I only noticed it now, since I have Cafe Egg now stored behind our new to us home on the concrete driveway out in the country.

By the way, we also take it this year slowly with traveling; all sorts of landscaping is to be done. But we are introducing the newest family addition to camping right in our backyard, on the hill with views of Blue Mounds. Perfect spot for Cafe Egg.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:27 AM   #33

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Welcome Webby,
To our little world. We always welcome fresh ideas and hopefully new Escape owners.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 1964 Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You can always switch to two of these Lite Cylinder Transparent 20lb LP Tank
I'll have to see if tubing will fit.

Just a heads up to anyone subscribed to this thread.. These propane tanks have been recalled.

OT has issued an emergency order mandating a recall of cylinders manufactured by The Lite Cylinder Company, Inc. (Lite Cylinder). They have also terminated the company’s authority to re-qualify and manufacture DOT cylinders. The order specifies that Lite Cylinder recall some 55,000 cylinders and that anyone in possession of them should immediately take them out of service.
How To Proceed:
1. Shut the cylinder valve.
2. Disconnect gas lines.
3. Move the cylinder to an area that is free from heat and is freely ventilated.

It’s unclear how or if tank owners can return these tanks or recover funds at this point as the company’s facility is now closed, but clearly tank owners need to err on the side of caution and remove these tanks from service.

It’s important to note that some tanks sold by Lite Cylinder were manufactured by Composite Scandinavia and these tanks are not included in this recall.

Here are some links with more information: DOT news Release
Details of the recall and termination letter including detailing info on specific model numbers: Downloadable PDF

Escape Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote