Driveway Stains - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Driveway Stains

Late last year I noticed rust stains on my newer driveway. The stains were where I occasionally park my trailer. I store the trailer in a nearby warehouse so it is only parked in the driveway before and after trips.

The stains were directly under the tongue area, there was even a circle where the trailer jack cone stood. I crawled under the camper and searched the frame for signs of rust. I found nothing.

Recently CPAHarley posted a fix he had performed caused by the plastic propane cover rubbing on the frame. On seeing that I thought that was worth checking out as a source for my problem. Upon removing the cover it was evident there was wear, but the area was nicely polished and though it was down to bare metal it did not seem to be rusty.

Proceeding with my spring preparation I removed an empty propane bottle for refill and there I found my problem. The attached photo shows the accumulation of rust inside the propane tank tray and the result on my driveway. The tray is well painted; there is a white undercoat and the flat black final coat. But it seems those tanks will wobble and rub no matter how hard you tighten the clamping system.

I plan to go over the area with a wire bush on my drill, prime it and paint with flat black Rustoleum. I will catch the frame that gets rubbed by the plastic cover at the same time. You can see some of that area in the top right of the photo. I think I will try CPAHarley's idea of a piece of clear plastic tubing on the plastic edges that contact the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
propane tank rack.jpg  
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
I wonder if a thin sheet of plexiglass or other plastic between the bottom of the propane tank and the tray would work. Preventing the metal on metal contact between the tank and tray should eliminate the oxidation.

Tim
onetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I noticed some rust on my frame underneath and intended to spray paint the area again, you might want to check the entire front area back to the foam. I'll try rustoleum.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I would glue down some rubber, maybe 1/8-1/4" thick for a cushion to prevent this wear.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #5

The rubbing and subsequent wear that caused the rust was not only on the "floor" of the tray but also up the lip of the tray.

Tim, I like your idea for covering the base but there would need to be something going up the sides. Unless what was used would keep the tank in place instead of shifting.

Jim, what about your idea of using plastic tubing on the cover, could that be used on the base of the propane tank? That plastic cover has a lip on the edge, that will improve the holding. Nothing to grip onto with the propane tank.

Jim, I have some unused rubber drawer and/or cabinet liners. I might try that. They are pretty thin and have the cross hatch pattern. Probably wear out pretty quick. There seems to be quite a bit of movement of those tanks.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Jim, I have some unused rubber drawer and/or cabinet liners. I might try that. They are pretty thin and have the cross hatch pattern. Probably wear out pretty quick. There seems to be quite a bit of movement of those tanks.
You can get some pretty heavy rubber lining materials. I know Princess Auto here sells some. If you cut a piece to fit the base snug, it should last a real long time. I think you are right about those drawer liners, as well as the tubing idea, they might wear out fairly fast.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #7

I like the idea of a rubberized material as that should reduce the shifting. I can envision the tanks making an impression in the rubber and then holding steady. Thanks for the tip, I would not have thought of an auto supply store.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #8

You can always switch to two of these Lite Cylinder Transparent 20lb LP Tank
I'll have to see if tubing will fit.
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Go down to your local tire shop and ask for a used semi-truck inner tube. Cut it lengthwise down the middle and lay it open. Place one of the propane tanks on it and, using a magic marker or Sharpie, draw the outline of the tank bottom on the rubber. Stay about a half inch outside the line and cut out the piece of rubber. Do this for both tanks. Place these in the tank tray and snug down the tanks. They will now stay put and there will be no rusting of the tray. At the end of the season, take them out along with the tanks and make sure to remove any water prior to winter storage. Easy fix and the price is right <g>.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
There is also rubbery shelf liner made now that is common to find. In an open waffle-type weave. If you don't find one of the others. Nothing moves on it, at least not in the cabinets.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:00 AM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
If only yachts used this style of propane tank mount, there would be insanely expensive stainless steel mounting trays available...

How about pickup truck box liner coating, for the tank tray?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You can always switch to two of these Lite Cylinder Transparent 20lb LP Tank
I'll have to see if tubing will fit.
I've looked at those fiberglass cylinders at a u-haul depot. They don't have the bottom retaining ring and only a plastic carrying handle so are not compatable with the existing propane tank retraining infrastructure used on otr vehicles. I haven't checked the aluminium cylinders but I suspect they are compatable.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
We use two of the Lite Cylinders on our 17B SittEscape. The existing mounting brackets work fine, albeit need a little fiddling. Two seasons now and all is well. No rust, of course. Best of all, you can always see how much propane remains. I've even switched on my home barbecue so I always know how much fuel I have. Now, all three cylinders are interchangeable.

K&KSitte

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #14

They looked to be adaptable but I wasn't sure, glad to hear they can be substituted.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape
I use automotive door edge guard trim on the the bottom of the metal LP tanks. Such as :Cowles Products/Clear StyleGuard U-door edge molding (T3800) | Door Edge Molding | AutoZone.com_ A piece of rubber or plastic laid in the bottom of the tank tray can trap moisture resulting in more rust.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #16

Well I have had time to digest all the excellent suggestions. I was very surprised at the response. Great posts all who responded.

Here is what I have done. I took a wire brush on my drill and went over all the rust spots on the propane holder. At the same time I brushed some of the more serious rust areas on the frame. I did not attempt to get down to bare metal, most of it was stain and surface rust anyway. After taping off areas to contain overspray I used a Rustoleum primer. With a primer you can over coat immediately and I used a Rustoleum flat black. I think the frame is actually a satin black but after drying it does not look bad. I did not paint everything and even though the paint is not a perfect match I beleive after one trip it will all be similar.

After this I took my three propane tanks (I have an extra) and wire brushed the very botton edges. I took a piece of cardboard and cut out a circle so it would fit over the base and stuck the inside of the cardboard circle in the base and the outside over the circular base. This allowed me to paint the very edges of the tanks. Here I did not use a primer but the Rustoleum claims it is acceptable to spray over rusty areas. The edges of the base of the tanks were a bit rusty but are now sealed.

As a final step I used some of the automotive door guard that Jubal recommended. It so happened I had some on hand. We will see how it holds up, if it fails I will search for a scrap truck tube to cut to fit the tray.

What surprised me in the whole process was how little rust showed on the tongue and what a whopping stain it made. I am convinced it came from the propane tray. The lesson to be learned is, if you are parked on newer driveway, check for rust.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 17B!
Silly question - did you run multiple strips of the automotive door guard across the diameter of the bottom of the tanks and/or bend a strip around the circumference of the bottoms?

2002 Toyota Highlander
2013 Escape 17B!
Carol R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:36 AM   #18

A single strip that was easily bendable to fit the circumference. The strips come in two thicknesses; one was 7/16ths and the other thinner. I used the thinner but do not recall the exact dimension. They came two to a pack and I used one per tank. It was a five minute install; I used a rubber hammer when completed to tap it down. I believe there is some adhesive on the inside of the strips.

The tanks do fit more snug on the tray and do not move as readily. Time will be the test but for $4.00 US it would not be a big deal to replace in four years. I bought at AutoZone.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #19

Trailer: '07 17B
Things like this will soon be a thing of thing of the past!! (No more rust)
The Official Ultra-Ever Dry Product Video - Superhydrophobic and oleophobic coating - YouTube
GaryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksitte View Post
We use two of the Lite Cylinders on our 17B SittEscape. The existing mounting brackets work fine, albeit need a little fiddling. Two seasons now and all is well. No rust, of course. Best of all, you can always see how much propane remains. I've even switched on my home barbecue so I always know how much fuel I have. Now, all three cylinders are interchangeable.

K&KSitte
Any pictures of your setup on the trailer? I'm especially interested in the interface at the bottom of the fiberglass tank and the tray. Does the 17B use a propane tank tray with a raised edge tank retaining ring? Are you using the 20 lb fiberglass tanks?