Duragloss-542 experience with Escape finish ? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2019, 10:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21
Duragloss-542 experience with Escape finish ?

Hi Guys,

Life has gotten in the way of my use of my 2016 21 trailer, but on its reinspection for re-use, I've discovered its gotten a little weathered, mildewed, dirty after sitting in the elements.

My plan to un-mothball/clean it up, is to use this Duragloss-542 for a clean up :

https://www.amazon.com/Duragloss-542.../dp/B00J7KOT5Q

Followed by an application of BTS.

But before I went down that path I thought I'd canvas the group to see if anyone has had any experience using the Duragloss-542 product on their fiberglass trailers, and if so, how it performed.

I'd really like to avoid doing more harm than good.

Appreciate any/all input/pointers.

Thank you.
Bill_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_75 View Post
Hi Guys,

Life has gotten in the way of my use of my 2016 21 trailer, but on its reinspection for re-use, I've discovered its gotten a little weathered, mildewed, dirty after sitting in the elements.

My plan to un-mothball/clean it up, is to use this Duragloss-542 for a clean up :

But before I went down that path I thought I'd canvas the group to see if anyone has had any experience using the Duragloss-542 product on their fiberglass trailers, and if so, how it performed.

Thank you.
That stuff is bleach (Sodium hypochlorite) with some soap added. Considering how much aluminum is on your trailer, I wouldn't use it. From ad "Not recommended for highly polished aluminum surfaces" - that's a sign that it etches aluminum.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 21
Thanks for pointing that out.....we do have the aluminum rims
Bill_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Have you tried cleaning what you would call the worst area first with just some standard car wash cleaner? Might not be as bad as it looks, a good wash and wax could do the trick.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:45 AM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_75 View Post
Hi Guys,

Thank you.
It is a bit more work but worth it as your trailer will look like new when finished.

1. Wash the whole trailer with a good car wash soap.
2. Go to a marine supply store and get finerglass oxide remover. (Like a rubbing compound for cars but made for fiberglass gel oats.) Apply and buff out with a power buffer.
3. Apply a good fiberglass wax and buff out.

This will bring the trailer back to new condition. Then give it a good waxing at least once a year, better twice, spring and fall.

(You might be able to find a boat yard to do the initial restoration work for a price)

Good luck!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:25 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
When I restore old Scamps, after a good washing, I use 3M fiberglass restorer with an orbital polisher. This is followed up by hand application of Meguiars Premium Marine.
Comes out like new.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 05:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Arnie I just bought a porter cable what attachments should I get to first buff to remove oxide dep and second to buff out wax I’ve never done it worried I will hurt my finish
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 05:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
When I restore old Scamps, after a good washing, I use 3M fiberglass restorer with an orbital polisher. This is followed up by hand application of Meguiars Premium Marine.
Comes out like new.
Do you use the paste or liquid Meguires?
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 07:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
Arnie I just bought a porter cable what attachments should I get to first buff to remove oxide dep and second to buff out wax I’ve never done it worried I will hurt my finish
If this is the first time trying to remove any oxidation you are most likely wasting your time with an orbital. After a few years of frustration I finally had a pro do the job and they use a DeWalt rotary polisher with a wool pad- & not just any wool pad. Referred them to my 5.0 TA buddy and it took a bit longer and cost a bit more, yet he is very happy with the outcome. Mine cost $250 & his $500. I had them do it a year earlier,; they quoted $200 & charged $300- and his had never been done- a 2015 model.