Equipment to change a trailer tire ? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2016, 04:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Equipment to change a trailer tire ?

I just purchased a scissor jack (https://www.amazon.ca/Performance-To.../dp/B005LPU3B0) intending to use it for possible tire changes. Now that I've got it home I notice 2 things.

One: this type of jack seems to be one that would be used from the side of a car. I am going to have to slide in under the trailer and use the jack parallel to the wheel to get under the axel. (Escape suggests a certain spot under the axel for tire changes).

Two: using the jack this way seems backwards since the "saddle" of the jack isn't being used correctly. Will this be safe? I intend to also use a jack stand.

Perhaps I should just buy a hydraulic jack but am liking that the scissor jack takes up less storage space and is cheaper (I just retired).

See this thread for context about where to place a jack on a 17.b (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...nge-763-2.html)

thanks I hope I've explained this clearly enough
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Larry, I've used both scissor and hydraulic jacks with our 17B and I come in from behind the wheel with either. If you get the jack under the frame close to the axle you should be fine. I always then use jack stands before doing any work.

I had to change a tire on a busy highway shoulder and used the bottle jack from my Tacoma (which I had tested beforehand) raised up on the Lego leveling blocks. I let down the rear stabilizer jack for backup. But I was lucky enough to have full scissor jacks as stabilizers on our 17.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Haven't had to do it, but, depending on your wrench, the tube to attach bars from the Pro Series WDH can be used to extend leverage.
Attached Thumbnails
breaker bar.jpg  
Old 06-11-2016, 07:22 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I changed a trailer tire on a small shoulder in the rain one time and that was enough.

Since I installed a tire pressure monitoring system I have had 2 alarms that let me know well in advance of a future flat, allowing me to pull into a repair station and get it fixed.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Go to Harbor Freight . You can buy a 3 ton hydraulic jack for under $15 . I use my my HF hydraulic jack every fall to get the weight off my axle and the tires off the ground . The jack rides in the back of my truck during the camping season .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:34 AM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If you go for a bottle jack, I went with a 6 ton, there are adapters made that make them safer to use.

https://safejacks.com/collections/bo...or-bottle-jack
Old 06-12-2016, 07:16 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I changed a trailer tire on a small shoulder in the rain one time and that was enough.

Since I installed a tire pressure monitoring system I have had 2 alarms that let me know well in advance of a future flat, allowing me to pull into a repair station and get it fixed.
Hi: tractors1... I know my memory is failing cause I can't remember when I last changed a tire. That's why we have CAA/RVPlus. Better than any bottle jack except Daniels!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:21 AM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: tractors1... I know my memory is failing cause I can't remember when I last changed a tire. That's why we have CAA/RVPlus. Better than any bottle jack except Daniels!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
I have a roadside service plan too, just doesn't help much if you have no cell service. Sometimes it's just easier to do things yourself.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:29 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I have a roadside service plan too, just doesn't help much if you have no cell service. Sometimes it's just easier to do things yourself.
As we drove across remote parts of New Mexico and Arizona with no cell coverage, no shoulder on the road and no homes in scores of miles, I was dreaming of run-flat trailer tires.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 06-12-2016, 09:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
As we drove across remote parts of New Mexico and Arizona with no cell coverage, no shoulder on the road and no homes in scores of miles, I was dreaming of run-flat trailer tires.
Ditto - The last two trips we have been out of cell range for miles. BCAA doesn't help if you can't phone.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:27 AM   #11

Larry,
I think you will be fine with the scissor jack as an emergency backup. Any type of jack can be hard to use based on the surface you end up with where you have to change the tire. It all comes down to just getting it to sit as level as possible and often takes some slow tries to get it right. The contact area with your scissor jack and the frame wil be at least as much as with a bottle hydraulic unless you buy that nice saddle posted above. My feeling is that nothing it going to be perfect out there in unknown situations and that it takes a lot of care to make sure it is stable enough before pulling the wheel off.

But, those are just my thoughts based on my experiences. As Donna wisely says: YMMV.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:09 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Trailer Aid tire changing ramp is my primary. I have a scissor backup. Like the Trailer Aid much better than any jack. I used to adjust brakes. Very quick and solid.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:17 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
Trailer Aid tire changing ramp is my primary. I have a scissor backup. Like the Trailer Aid much better than any jack. I used to adjust brakes. Very quick and solid.
I have one also, works good for TA, not so good for single axle
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:35 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
We drove from Montgomery Alabama to Quitman Texas and had cell phone coverage maybe 10% of the time.
We drove from Wisconsin to the west coast of the US and had no cell phone coverage in North Dakota , Montana , parts of a Idaho , Washington , Oregon , Nevada ,Utah or Nebraska
When I drove from Wisconsin to New Mexico , I had no cell phone coverage in Kansas ,Oklahoma and New Mexico
Even in my home state of Wisconsin I have cell phone coverage in less than half of the state.
In order to send this post , I have to be outside and face a certain direction.
Relying on your cell phone to call for road side assistance is questionable at best. I carry a jack and Jack stands because I know they will work.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:08 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
My TPMS is good for slower leaks, but I pack a Trailer Aid as a backup in the event of a blowout/sliced tire type flat.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:12 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Eric mentioned the built-in safety stands on the trailer: the stabilizing jacks. I would add there there are four of them, and at least two would help when either side of the trailer is jacked up. Not for lifting - just to keep it stable when jacked up and keep it from dropping if the lifting jack slips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
If you go for a bottle jack, I went with a 6 ton, there are adapters made that make them safer to use.

https://safejacks.com/collections/bo...or-bottle-jack
I like that!
Although wildly expensive for what it is, and not specifically sized or shaped for the frame rails, it would certainly help.

A similar saddle on the scissors jack would make it a lot easier - and safer - to use.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:04 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
You can get run-flat tires with suitable load rating that would work well on the trailer if you want... they just won't be ST tires. They'll also be expensive, heavy, and have high rolling resistance compared to an otherwise similar (size, etc) of non-run-flat. We have a Sienna; the AWD version of the Sienna (which is not what we have) comes with run-flats (because there's no room for a spare). In forum discussions the universal agreement is that run-flats are undesirable for every reason and under every condition... except of course when flat.

Being out of phone service is certainly a reason to have a spare and tools, but a workaround is to flag down a passing vehicle and ask them either to contact your roadside assistance service when they get into phone service, or to give you a ride to somewhere with service. We've done that for stranded people, and while I wouldn't want to count on it, it is an option.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
You can get run-flat tires with suitable load rating that would work well on the trailer if you want... they just won't be ST tires. They'll also be expensive, heavy, and have high rolling resistance compared to an otherwise similar (size, etc) of non-run-flat. We have a Sienna; the AWD version of the Sienna (which is not what we have) comes with run-flats (because there's no room for a spare). In forum discussions the universal agreement is that run-flats are undesirable for every reason and under every condition... except of course when flat.

Being out of phone service is certainly a reason to have a spare and tools, but a workaround is to flag down a passing vehicle and ask them either to contact your roadside assistance service when they get into phone service, or to give you a ride to somewhere with service. We've done that for stranded people, and while I wouldn't want to count on it, it is an option.

Ive watched too many movies to want to rely on passerbyers isn't that what the psychopaths show up Plus my career in criminal justice mitigates against me being quick to trust. Having said that, our experience on the road with fellow campers has been very positive. Especially when we were out 13k up on a BC Recreational Site. When I returned I sent a travel report to my old office commenting on how nice it was not to pick up a "street vibe" from anyone we had met. People were very helpful. We specially appreciated that since it was our first time out at a fairly isolated area.

----

I've really appreciated all the comments on this thread. I hope it helps other forum members. When we first started our Escape trips we didn't think about things like changing trailer tires.

Larry
Old 06-13-2016, 07:58 AM   #19

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
I haven't given a lot of thought to what type of jack I was going to end up getting, but now that I am aware of them, I think I see Trailer Aid in my future.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
I haven't given a lot of thought to what type of jack I was going to end up getting, but now that I am aware of them, I think I see Trailer Aid in my future.
They sure look like an excellent, safe product for dual axle trailers. I'm planning on one for our 21.