Fact or Fiction, Parking on grass/dirt speeds frame rust. - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2016, 07:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Fact or Fiction, Parking on grass/dirt speeds frame rust.

This is something I've been hearing since I first got into RV's, no idea if it's true or not.

Been parking on the side yard for 10 years, previous trailer didn't show frame rust for 4 or more years. The Escape however is rusting at 2 years. Of course I did take the Escape out in Jan, which I never did before.

Planning on painting as much of the frame as I can get to this week, with the underbody foam I'm a bit limited.

Wondering if it's worth putting down a thin bed of gravel where I park the trailer. I say thin cause the house downspouts are routed under the spot and only a few inches down.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
The foam should protect the frame that is encased within so just the a frame and rear would need repainting. I'd put down some plastic with drainage, then gravel and then place some 2x6 where the wheels are located.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Hi Jim, only about the upper 1/3 of the frame is in the foam. It's all along the bottom surface of it that's starting to show surface rust.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
This is something I've been hearing since I first got into RV's, no idea if it's true or not.

Been parking on the side yard for 10 years, previous trailer didn't show frame rust for 4 or more years. The Escape however is rusting at 2 years. Of course I did take the Escape out in Jan, which I never did before.

Planning on painting as much of the frame as I can get to this week, with the underbody foam I'm a bit limited.

Wondering if it's worth putting down a thin bed of gravel where I park the trailer. I say thin cause the house downspouts are routed under the spot and only a few inches down.
Hi: padlin... Towing north in March Ohio used liquid ice melt on I75 due to freezing rain warnings. It did a real number on our 5.0TA. Never seen so much rust. Our 30 yr. old Boler was not so bad... but I used a large spray can of Krown Rust Protection on it, as there were too many places I couldn't get paint into. It's going on 40 & still being towed in eastern Canada. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I don't think the parking on gravel etc. has anything to do with rust on Escape frames. I think the black paint on new Escapes is paper thin, about the same as if the bare metal was given a once over with a spray bomb.

My frame showed unsightly rust within weeks. I've wire brushed a fair amount of it and applied two coats of Tremclad which is holding up just fine.

I really wish more protection was provided to the frame. If powder coating was an option I'd have gladly paid for it rather than having to repaint the whole frame from underneath.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I second Ron. We had rust spots coming through after we got home from orientation/pickup. Not doing something right on the spraying of the frames. Whomever, is doing that step, ETI definitely needs to change something.
Greg A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Shortly after returning home from pick up the paint on the A-frame area near the coupler started peeling off. Bought some Hammerite paint and used the brush on gloss for that area then the flat spray-on for the rear bumper.

I too would have paid more for an "Earl Scheib" upgrade.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:00 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight"
Did anybody contact ETI about this?
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:24 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I second Ron. We had rust spots coming through after we got home from orientation/pickup. Not doing something right on the spraying of the frames. Whomever, is doing that step, ETI definitely needs to change something.
Guess we join Gregg and Ron too. Need to take care of our frame too. At least this trailer keeps us busy . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:34 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Did anybody contact ETI about this?
Even though, this would be a warranty issue on mine, it's not something I'd want a shop doing and certainly too far to Chilli. I would only trust myself to correct this on mine and it's mostly labor. Reace reads the forum and it's been discussed several times, so I'm sure it's an area he's already looking at. I heard he also hired a Quality Manager recently and I doubt mine would have made it past a QM with the rust spots and the drips from overspraying.

Greg A is online now   Reply With Quote