First time owner may have to winterize while on the road seeks advice - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2016, 07:15 PM   #61
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You will need 2, one for the Escape and your other fg unit.
That other one has been winterized for two years. Besides it's at home and so is my compressor.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 05:06 PM   #62

Trailer: 17' Escape Floor B
Been awhile since visiting here ! Just wondering if keeping the heat on in the trailer will keep the pipes and water tank from freezing ? Thanks people, appreciate it!
Old 12-04-2016, 05:15 PM   #63

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Interior pipes would be okay but leave all the cabinets that they are in open. Don't think it'd help the holding tanks, outside shower, or the exterior Pex.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:18 PM   #64

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Best do something soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 3.17.17 PM.png  
Old 12-04-2016, 11:22 PM   #65

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
So, it appears that not all non-toxic RV antifreeze products (the so-called "pink stuff") are the same. Some brands are ethanol based (like the WalMart's SuperTech brand) and some are propylene glycol based (not poisonous ethylene glycol). The Escape Owner's Manual says in one place (page 54) to pour RV antifreeze in the drain traps and toilet to winterize, but in another place (page 55), it says don't put alcohol in the toilet or drains. But nowhere in the manual is there a distinction made between ethanol vs propylene glycol based types. So what's up with that? Also, some web sites (so take it for what it's worth) caution that alcohol-based RV antifreeze can damage rubber components in the water systems. Has anyone who has winterized using the "pink stuff" for multiple years encountered problems with deteriorating rubber gaskets, seals, etc.? For the record, we've previously always used the air blow-out method and had good luck except for one year when apparently enough water re-pooled in the shower faucet that it froze and cracked (easy replacement). We're trying the "pink stuff" (ethanol based) for the first time this winter and hope we haven't made a long-term mistake in doing so. Maybe I'll go back now and use the air method to blow out the "pink stuff". Further insight, anyone?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:40 PM   #66

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Apparently propylene glycol contains a lubricant good for rubber seals. Ethanol does not.

What you need to know about RV Anti-Freeze - J&M Camper Sales - Maine Camper DealerJ&M Camper Sales – Maine Camper Dealer

The stuff I use usually mentions the lubricating feature on the label.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:58 AM   #67

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I assume these seals are in the pump and toilet that we should be concerned with?
Old 12-05-2016, 08:37 AM   #68

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Well yesterday I finally winterized. The last couple weeks it's been in the mid twenties here at night with a few times dropping lower. My (Tractors Supply) ceramic heater did a good job. No repeat of ice in the faucet. No leaks anywhere. Black and grey water tanks are drained. When I opened the outside, under carriage low point drain, fresh water pet cock, heater outside plug, and screened city water plug, water did pour out. Then, used my little air compressor to blow out the faucets any remaining water in the lines. Poured some trailer antifreeze into the two drains.

Expecting steep temp drops in a week or so. We shall see.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:45 AM   #69

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Myron,
How cold does it get it in your area? I thought NM was a semi arid state, other than up in the mountains?
Old 12-05-2016, 09:19 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I assume these seals are in the pump and toilet that we should be concerned with?
There usually are rubber gaskets in the sink and shower faucets, too (such as a rubber gasket that seals between the shower hose and shower head). I'm guessing such rubber gaskets might also be vulnerable if the caution against alcohol-based products has merit.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:21 AM   #71

It's not the location so much as it is the altitude. We are at 6700 feet. Well, it's also the location, I guess. We're right off I-40 just east of the "East Mountains," facing the arid open plains. Because of low humidity I find the cold here really does bite you.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:32 AM   #72

Out our driveway, facing north...
Attached Thumbnails
BLZ09a.jpg  
Old 12-05-2016, 09:43 AM   #73

Perspective - I grew up above 9,000 feet elevation in south central Colorado (Sangre de Cristo Mountain range, if anyone is familiar) where it can remain below zero for weeks at a time (I remember hitting -56 degrees once back in the early 1970's!). We now live at around 500 feet elevation in east central Alabama. For the record, it does occasionally "hard freeze" in Alabama (down into the teens), and combined with the high humidity of the south, it can chill even this former Coloradan to the bone. A big difference, however, is how quickly it can warm back up to shirt-sleeve weather here in the South. But my point is, even just one night at 15 degrees can bust your trailer pipes and plumbing fixtures as surely as weeks of below zero temps. And that is why we winterize - even here on the coastal plains of Alabama.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:50 AM   #74

I went to school in a little town called Cambridge Springs, about 27 miles south of Erie, PA and well remember walking down the center of Main Street one night when it was minus 50 degrees out. Froze your nose hairs.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:13 AM   #75

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
It's not the location so much as it is the altitude. We are at 6700 feet. Well, it's also the location, I guess. We're right off I-40 just east of the "East Mountains," facing the arid open plains. Because of low humidity I find the cold here really does bite you.
Hi: MyronL... But it's a "Dry" cold. Here in SW. Ontario today, the only white flakes are my "Dandruff". I cut the grass last week. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:56 AM   #76

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Apparently propylene glycol contains a lubricant good for rubber seals. ...
A close relative to propylene glycol with a great reputation for lubrication...

"The two most widely used bowel preps are polyethylene glycol (PEG) and oral sodium phosphate." (Harvard Medical website)

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:04 PM   #77

Trailer: 2001 Scamp 16
Quote:
Out our driveway, facing north...
That is beautiful country, Myron. Thanks for sharing the pic.
northwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:19 PM   #78

Trailer: 2013 19ft Escape "Eggy Sue"
Gotta love this forum when "most widely used bowel preps " is followed by the next posting of "thats beautiful country, Myron". Thanks for the misconstrued laugh! Cheers, Peter
2002 Toyota Tundra 4X4
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:29 PM   #79

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21/ 09 2015
Again, this was my first time for the winterization of my Escape. My concern as the temperature dropped last night....How does the water drain from the in and out hose to the hot water tank if those valves are closed prior to draining that tank? When you pump the pink stuff in via the t-valve how does it get to that "other side" of the hot water tank.
luckyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:29 PM   #80

Quote:
I went to school in a little town called Cambridge Springs, about 27 miles south of Erie, PA and well remember walking down the center of Main Street one night when it was minus 50 degrees out. Froze your nose hairs.
The "fun" part was that we had a ranch with 120 head of old-style Aberdeen Angus beef cattle (genetic base from Scotland) that still needed feed and water. They didn't really seem to mind how cold it got as long as they had hay to eat and nestle down into for bedding and water to drink. Back then, just keeping drinking water available to 120 head of cattle when it was below freezing for weeks on end was a full time job. Oh, the "good 'ol days"!! Now, I just put another log on the fire, pour another cup of coffee, and listen to Carly Simon sing, "These are the good old days."