Fresh Water Tank Sanitizing - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2017, 06:11 AM   #61

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Another question was what about that not so fine grit I found in the aerator? The screen filter that came with the ShureFlo sure didn’t screen out that stuff. I may have to buy a better filter.
Myron: The spec on the Shurflo screen is 50 mesh or 0.0117" opening. That grit appears much bigger than that. My guess is that it entered the system through the city water connection (possibly when an external filter wasn't used?). Or some is somehow able to bypass the pump strainer depending on how well it is arranged/sealed when assembled. I don't think you need to modify anything regarding the pump/strainer. Maybe a better external filter on the hose when on city water?
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:30 AM   #62

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Some questions:
1. I don't know what well casing is.
2. Never used filter paper. Pat, what is bio film?
3. Would city water bypass the pump because it is a separate, direct line to faucets and toilet?
Old 11-07-2017, 07:42 AM   #63

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Some questions:
1. I don't know what well casing is.
2. Never used filter paper. Pat, what is bio film?
3. Would city water bypass the pump because it is a separate, direct line to faucets and toilet?

Some RV parks are on wells. The well casing is the metal or plastic pipe that keeps the well that was drilled down to the water level from collapsing. Sometimes the pump is placed into the casing and sometimes it is above ground. If the casing is damaged and there is an opening sand and small rocks and such can be sucked in.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:36 AM   #64

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
When I decided to add half a cup of bleach to the fresh water tank trouble poured out the kitchen spigot.

Tank was filled. The pump sounded just fine and normal. The kitchen and bath spigots though, were not normal. Trickling, sputtering from both hot and cold. Then no water, then more trickling. Checked for leaks in the system. It must be a clog. Found a load of grit in the faucet aerator. That cleaned, testing resumed and so did the problem.

The ShureFlo water pump is easy to get to, if you can lift the mattress and open up that trap door. But not for me because I got that IKEA slatted wood spring-thing under mine. Went down through the cabinet doors and used my flashlight and a mirror on a stick to see on the right exactly where the in-line pump filter is. I’m big. Try doing this wearing football shoulder pads and you will appreciate my problem.

I got the filter out and sure enough, screen was very clogged. Not grit. Just what is that gummy white stuff? Months ago I was messing with home-boy water funnels. Best guess now is some paper labels got somehow sucked into the system when filling with water on location.

Compared to some, guess I feel lucky. This is the first time my water system (less one toilet valve) ever needed attention. Another question was what about that not so fine grit I found in the aerator? The screen filter that came with the ShureFlo sure didn’t screen out that stuff. I may have to buy a better filter.

Maybe bleach whitened the paper.
Hi: MyronL... That stuff in your faucet aerator looks like the debris that I rinse out of our hot water heater when winterizing. I use the garden hose and pistol to shoot water in thru the anode drain hole and keep flushing till the hard water deposits stop coming out. Put your finger in the drain hole to feel if the "True grit" is truely gone!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:53 AM   #65

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. City water never goes through the pump filter.

I would guess that Alf is on the right track, with some sediment from the water heater getting through. This will probably also depend on the source of the water you put in the holding tank. If I camped only around here for the year, there is no sediment in the tank, but if I have been travelling to other locations it has built up a bit more.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:18 AM   #66

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I also use Sani Clean. The only time I used Star San I had foam coming out of the spigots for the first 5 days of the trip.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:23 AM   #67

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Yes, that it what I was getting at. But I agree the sediment from the hot water tank (which is also downstream of the pump and unfiltered before hitting the faucets) is another likely source, if not the primary source.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:01 AM   #68

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I was thinking the same thing. City water never goes through the pump filter.

I would guess that Alf is on the right track, with some sediment from the water heater getting through. This will probably also depend on the source of the water you put in the holding tank. If I camped only around here for the year, there is no sediment in the tank, but if I have been travelling to other locations it has built up a bit more.
Hi: Jim Bennett... On the track of sanity isn't filling the water tank at most CG's getting a good dose of bleach in too!!! We find the sediment in the water heater is made in the water heater. All those grains of hardness come off the anode and just sink to the bottom of the tank. Just as long as they don't start to form stalagmites before I get around to cleaning the tank out!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:58 AM   #69

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
My sediments exactly.

Seems there's no fighting unwanted sediment. I knew I had this picture someplace.... helpful for us with senioritis. Note the wire screen in the brass pressure equalizer.
Attached Thumbnails
water1.jpg  
Old 11-07-2017, 01:21 PM   #70

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
My sediments exactly.
Ouch!

My sediments are with you...
After 4 months in Big Bend NP I drained sediment measured in cups out of the hot water. Chunks as long as an inch.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote