Fresh Water Tank Sanitizing - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2017, 08:43 AM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Fresh Water Tank Sanitizing

Our rig has been sitting in storage for longer than I'd like, but it's been a busy last few months with no time to camp.

We'll be out there soon though. I'd like to get some feedback on how you sanitize your fresh water tank and lines. Of course, I've heard of the chlorine bleach method, but how do YOU do it specifically? Thanks.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:55 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
There was a pretty extensive thread on this and Bobbito posted some very good information including "Thoughts on Using and Sanitizing My Escape Trailer’s Water System"

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:06 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
This is what I do.

1/2 cup of bleach into fresh water tank and fill tank. I let it sit about 15 minutes full then using the 12 volt pump I open each faucet hot and cold, shower, and toilet, (outside shower if you have one) until I smell bleach. Make sure water heater is not bypassed and empty when you start so you fills it with bleach water. I let everything sit about 2-3 hours than drain and refill the tank a couple times. Pull the anode rod and drain the water heater. Fill tank again and flush out all lines and water heater until bleach smell is gone. Then I hook up to city water and flush lines and water heater more. Drain everything again and it's ready to go.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:15 AM   #4

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
I do the same as Tom. Just did it two weeks ago. It does take a couple of complete flushings to remove the chlorine smell from the lines.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:24 AM   #5

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
fresh tank

Before Quartzite our trailer was parked for 6 months and had not been sanitized previously as we continually used it right from the factory. When we arrive home I always drain and flush the tanks and let them dry out and then flush them before filling to leave. This time I used a cup or two of bleach and a full fresh tank, allowed to set for a day, ran the treated water through the pipes and then flushed with fresh water. Then filled the fresh tank with water and a quart of hydrogen peroxide and let that set for a day before flushing the fresh system with fresh water several more times. I always start my morning with a glass of water from the faucet and I want it to have no taste. We do live where we do not have green stuff that grows unless we plant it or it's a weed.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:42 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
This is what I do.

1/2 cup of bleach into fresh water tank and fill tank. I let it sit about 15 minutes full then using the 12 volt pump I open each faucet hot and cold, shower, and toilet, (outside shower if you have one) until I smell bleach. Make sure water heater is not bypassed and empty when you start so you fill it with bleach water. I let everything sit about 2-3 hours than drain and refill the tank a couple times. Pull the anode rod and drain the water heater. Fill tank again and flush out all lines and water heater until bleach smell is gone. Then I hook up to city water and flush lines and water heater more. Drain everything again and it's ready to go.
Pretty close to what I do too, other than I premix the 1/2 cup of bleach into a gallon of water to add first. Not sure if it really matters a lot, but it dilutes it some from the start.

I also usually only rinse good once though and find that adequate.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:06 AM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Page 49 has a procedure in the manual from ETI. Pretty much exactly as Tom stated above but letting the system sit for 4 hours.

http://escapetrailer.com/wp-content/...nersManual.pdf

...and there was mention by azjack of a hydrogen peroxide solution in the tank after the chlorine procedure. In standard concentration (3% available in stores) hydrogen peroxide would be ineffective at sanitizing and likely just a waste of time and money in my opinion.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:04 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Page 49 has a procedure in the manual from ETI. Pretty much exactly as Tom stated above but letting the system sit for 4 hours.

http://escapetrailer.com/wp-content/...nersManual.pdf

...and there was mention by azjack of a hydrogen peroxide solution in the tank after the chlorine procedure. In standard concentration (3% available in stores) hydrogen peroxide would be ineffective at sanitizing and likely just a waste of time and money in my opinion.
But, where do you think Jack gets that nice hair color he has?? ....
Old 03-04-2017, 11:50 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Sanitizing

We use the same method as described. I must have messed up a little somewhere along the line. My hair fell out and my beard turned white. Oh wait, that happened before we got the Escape. When I am filling and draining, it's usually a nice early spring day. I really enjoy getting ready for the season. Anticipation of good things to come is an important component of the recreation experience. I learnt that in collidge.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:07 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
My hair fell out and my beard turned white.
I would not chalk this up to coincidence. Strangely, I own an Escape trailer, and it happened to me too .
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:14 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
We use the same method as described. I must have messed up a little somewhere along the line. My hair fell out and my beard turned white. Oh wait, that happened before we got the Escape. When I am filling and draining, it's usually a nice early spring day. I really enjoy getting ready for the season. Anticipation of good things to come is an important component of the recreation experience. I learnt that in collidge.
Dave
Hoping to camp locally next weekend and dewinterize then, then put some nice wax down.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:49 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I would not chalk this up to coincidence. Strangely, I own an Escape trailer, and it happened to me too .
Me too, does it explain this balding spot on the back of my head too?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-04-2017, 12:56 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Me too, does it explain this balding spot on the back of my head too?
Eric, don't you also use the one step stuff when you sanitize?

Leon
Old 03-04-2017, 12:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Eric, don't you also use the one step stuff when you sanitize?

Leon
Just in between trips. Probably not necessary, but being a no-rinse peroxide based beer sanitizer I can leave a little in the bottom of the fresh tank and in the lines and not need to do a big rinse to clear them before the next trip. I figure it helps keep any nasties from starting up while is sits between outings. The no-rinse acid based Sani-Clean would work too. Star San might make problems in the pump with its foaming action.

I still use bleach for the end of year and beginning of the year major sanitation routines.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:02 PM   #15

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
fresh ater

All I know for sure is that I will not leave a strong bleach smell in the tank as I did years ago and Nancy washed her hair, I still hear about that.
Azjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 02:06 PM   #16

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Same as Tom, once in the spring, then again before use in the fall.

This winter I couldn't do it before heading to AZ in Dec. Did not use the fresh for for drinking or brushing till after I did so a few weeks into the trip. Going to try and do it a the end of the fall use, then blow out the lines. Thinking that would leave it clean for January.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:13 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We had 6 below on Thursday morning . Camping , waxing , and dewinterizing the water system is still about 2 months off .
I lost most of my hair long before we owned the trailer but it is what it is .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 02:15 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Doing the ETI method right now. Only difference is I added 500ml bleach to a partially filled tank, then topped up and filled the hot water tank.

No green chunks to be seen anywhere.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:58 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Wifey was a chemical engineer with depth in organic chemistry; chlorine bleach is a contact kill to microorganisms, so the ETI-prescribed 4 hour contact time is just insurance. We'd treat the tanks and I'd drag the rig back and forth to work, run the pump during lunch to circulate in the lines, then dump it. Fill the tanks with clean water when heading out, then drive with the valve open so it could slosh around and drain out any diluted bleach. Had no issues.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:05 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Just curious, but do you need to sanitize the tanks right from the factory? I'm picking up my Escape 17B March 24th and this started me thinking about what I have to do after I get it home.