Generator again - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2009, 08:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Generator again

I'm about to buy a Honda EU1000iC2 thousand watt generator. It only weighs 29 lbs. and being a Honda is reliable. I think I'm getting the best price possible. My rationale for not getting a more powerful unit is that I don't have an air conditioner and wouldn't want to subject other campers to constant noise anyway. I don't have a microwave. All I really need to do is top up the battery from time to time, to run lights, fridge, pump, heater fan etc.
I figure if I lose power at home in the dead of winter, I'll just move into the trailer for the duration, so I don't need to be able to run a furnace or freezer and I have no plans to drill holes in the trailer while on vacation, so I don't need to run a 3/4" hammer-drill.

Anybody spot flaws in my plan?

baglo
Old 07-22-2009, 08:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Re: Generator again

Hi: gbaglo... Could you do the same job as the Honda...with a small solar set up Just wondering We have had some really cloudy days down here. I know the solar panels will still put up a charge even under low sun conditions. I don't know the costs of either type of generator. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
welcome to P.E.I..jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:25 PM   #3

I looked into solar. Talked to a guy at a shop that sold generators and solar, but mainly deals in batteries. He said a generator can produce the same power in two hours as a solar panel in two weeks. I think the solar, unless you mount it, is more awkward to store, more likely to be stolen ( since you have to leave it out all day ) and I still don't know if I should be using the choke when I start it. On the other hand I can now get my chainsaw, mower and trimmer running after a couple pulls, so I'm comfortable with an engine.

baglo

Old 07-23-2009, 04:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Just wondering. How much time would it take to top off the batteries, and how much gas at idle, if you just started your car (hooked up to your Escape)?
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:47 AM   #5

I know this comment is a tad off subject... but we also considered the generator as an emergency power source for our home in case of earth quake or storm damage knocking out the power lines.. In the last couple of years the Bay Area (SF) has had some crazy weather that caused widespread power outages that lasted longer than a 2-3 days..and of course the occasional earth quake..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #6

I have the Yamaha 1000 watt model that is basically the same as the Honda and I love it. It's quiet, uses very little gas and is easy to carry around. We don't have air or a microwave so I don't need anything larger. I usually lock it with a chain to any tree that's about 70 feet away from the trailer. We are often in the bush so having it at the end of a long extension cord is rarely a problem. I also made a cover for it that keeps it dry and further reduces the noise.

2012 Escape 19'
2013 F350 crewcab 4x4
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffZ
I know this comment is a tad off subject... but we also considered the generator as an emergency power source for our home in case of earth quake or storm damage knocking out the power lines.. In the last couple of years the Bay Area (SF) has had some crazy weather that caused widespread power outages that lasted longer than a 2-3 days..and of course the occasional earth quake..
I thought about that. Last time we lost power for four days in January with below freezing temps, we all moved into our bedroom, which has a wood-burning fireplace. A larger generator could run the furnace, but that would involve costly wiring. If we're in that situation again, we'll just move into the trailer and have heat and light, and a fridge for the beer.

baglo