Honda EU2000i and Dometic Penguin A/C with SmartStart - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2015, 04:00 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
IINM, Escape now installs or rather the unit comes with one already installed, check with ETI.
Again, as I have already stated, the Dometic SmartStart single phase soft starter processor that Klaus is selling is not the small smart start capacitor that was installed on our 2013 Escape 19. The smart start that Reace is referring to is a small start capacitor. The AC would barely start with a Yamaha 2800SI generator with the converter turned off. The startup was even worse after the AC compressor had run and both the low and high side had equal pressures.
I installed a http://www.amazon.com/SUPCO-SPP6-Sta.../dp/B0002YTLFE
Selecting a SUPCO boost capacitor for a Dometic 600312.331c Roof top AC
Use the SPP6 for your application. Connect it to COM and HERM terminals. All the original components should remain connected
Old 04-13-2015, 05:52 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Can anyone explain in simple terms what the smartstart does that the Reace installed capacitor doesn't do? In other words, how is it "better"?
I think that the Dometic AC units were updated with the capacitor before they were delivered to ETI.
http://marine.dometicgroup.com/en/pr...ft_starter.php
Lots of information to be found searching the internet for Dometic SmartStart. Very little can be found through Dometic help lines.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:30 PM   #43

How did this post get merged with a post from 2010 and title of the origional post changed ??
The order of the posts were also changed changing context.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:34 PM   #44

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The most recent posts appeared to be replicating what was in the older post and both were getting current responses, so they were merged. Do you prefer to keep them separate?
Old 04-13-2015, 07:44 PM   #45

The merging is probably not going to help Klaus sell the SmartStart which was the intent of the origional post.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:46 PM   #46

I sent Klaus a p/m asking if he wishes to post it in the "for Sale" section of the forum.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:49 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I sent Klaus a p/m asking if he wishes to post it in the "for Sale" section of the forum.
Good idea.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:50 PM   #48

Thanks...
Old 07-25-2015, 01:30 PM   #49

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
So I'm a bit confused-nothing new. We have a 2000w Yamaha generator that we got 2 years ago, but never used. With either the 19' or the 21' A/C, can that be used? Meaning does the current A/C have that starter thing that would allow the generator to run the A/C without killing either? Thanks as always.
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:09 PM   #50
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
As far as I know, Reace has tested the AC installed by Escape with only the Honda eu2000i generator, and it works. There are several caveats however. First, you probably cannot run much else. Second, the tests were done at Escape, which is not far above sea level. The higher you go, the more power you'll need.

If I were in the generator market to run an AC unit (I'm not), I would probably opt for the Honda EU3000IS. That will do the job regardless of your location, and do it relatively quietly. of course, it's twice as much money, larger, and heavier.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:10 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
So I'm a bit confused-nothing new. We have a 2000w Yamaha generator that we got 2 years ago, but never used. With either the 19' or the 21' A/C, can that be used? Meaning does the current A/C have that starter thing that would allow the generator to run the A/C without killing either? Thanks as always.
The current Dometic Ac units in Escape TT's have a soft start capacitor and not the Dometic SmartStart solid state system. A 2000 generator is marginal for power the AC even with all other electronics turned off . If you hear the AC struggle you may damage it and wear it out prematurely.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:00 PM   #52

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Cookin' a steak on propane is like puttin' ketchup on poutine!
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:17 PM   #53
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
The current Dometic Ac units in Escape TT's have a soft start capacitor and not the Dometic SmartStart solid state system. A 2000 generator is marginal for power the AC even with all other electronics turned off . If you hear the AC struggle you may damage it and wear it out prematurely.
This is sound advice. If you must have a generator to run your AC, go with something adequate to the task.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:48 PM   #54
rfs

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Rbryan, I think you hit the nail on the head. I have found that over the years trying to get by on a marginal combination of equipment components leads to anxiety that is unnecessary when for a little more money you can King Kong the situation. I know weights and size and costs are all valid considerations but in my old age I just tend to save till I have the bucks and when I go, I go first boat. One of my arborists
used to say " if you don't have time to do it right the first time, when you gonna find time to do it the second time?" I live by that a lot of times.
Dave
rfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:55 PM   #55

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfs View Post
Rbryan, I think you hit the nail on the head. I have found that over the years trying to get by on a marginal combination of equipment components leads to anxiety that is unnecessary when for a little more money you can King Kong the situation. I know weights and size and costs are all valid considerations but in my old age I just tend to save till I have the bucks and when I go, I go first boat. One of my arborists
used to say " if you don't have time to do it right the first time, when you gonna find time to do it the second time?" I live by that a lot of times.
Dave
Corollary...my father used to say "Never enough money to do it right the first time, but funny how people find the money when it needs to be redone".

Bob
Old 07-25-2015, 05:23 PM   #56

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
We use a Yamaha 2400 to run the AC in our 21 and have never had an issue. Running it on line AC, it appears to draw about 14 Amps according to the power monitoring display in our trailer.
Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:56 PM   #57

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfraser View Post
We use a Yamaha 2400 to run the AC in our 21 and have never had an issue. Running it on line AC, it appears to draw about 14 Amps according to the power monitoring display in our trailer.
Tom
That is consistent with a discussion we had on this same topic on this forum about 1-1/2 yrs ago. If I was to seriously consider a generator to power the AC, I would also go with the Yamaha 2400.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote