Honda EU2000i and Dometic Penguin A/C with SmartStart - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2010, 02:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
Honda EU2000i and Dometic Penguin A/C with SmartStart

I have been lurking on this forum for quite some time and in June I ordered an Escape 19 for delivery in May, 2011. I want to thank all of you for the information that you posted, which helped me choose the right trailer and options for my intended use.

My wife and I have not camped on a site with electrical service in the 22 years that we have been camping together because we tend to prefer the surroundings that the more isolated sites have to offer. For this reason, it is very important to me that our new trailer is properly equipped for camping without services. Dual 6V AGM batteries and a good 3 stage charger with a generator take care of most of our needs, but now that we are a bit older, we prefer not to tough it out in the high temperatures that we sometimes get on the prairies in the summer, or in the southern states that we may visit in the future.

I have been using a Honda EU2000i generator to charge the batteries on our old pop-up trailer for many years and I love the light weight and quiet operation that this unit offers. I do not want to switch to a larger generator so it is very important to me that the air conditioning in our new trailer be able to run off the little Honda. When Tammy told me that the new Dometic Penguin (model 600312.331C) in the Escape 19 would not run off the EU2000i I started to do some research. I discovered that the marine crowd loves this little generator as much as I do and that Dometic has developed a device called the SmartStart for their Marine air conditioners which allows the Honda EU2000i to start and run a 16,000 BTU air conditioner while in ECO mode.

Attached is a document that Dometic posted in another forum which explains what the unit is, what it does, and the results of the tests that they did.

I contacted the Dometic RV Division that sells the Penguin and asked if the SmartStart was available for the air conditioner that is installed on the Escape 19. They gave me the part number for a Quick Start which is something completely different and claimed that they had never heard of the SmartStart. I called the Dometic Marine Division and actually talked to M. Giovanetti who authored the attached document and is the developer of the SmartStart. It turns out that the SmartStart is a Dometic Marine product and that the Dometic RV Division does not think that RV owners would be interested in it, due to the high cost, so they have not made it available through their distributors. At the same time he assured me that the SmartStart model #4220040 would work on the Dometic Penguin but that I would have to purchase it from a Dometic Marine retailer. He also mentioned that it requires a good sine wave, like the one put out by the EU2000i, but that is lacking in some low cost generators. I found one online retailer who lists the SmartStart for $450 which is not inexpensive but it is certainly cheaper than buying a new generator. For me, it is well worth the money to avoid having to haul and then handle a larger and heavier generator. I hope to find a lower price as they become more common and read one post in another group that quoted a cost of $360. I live 2000 km from the closest ocean so good marine retailers are a bit sparse in these parts. If anyone can suggest a good place to buy the SmartStart, I would appreciate it.

I discussed having the SmartStart installed during the build on my new trailer with Tammy and Reece but they indicated that this has to be done by a certified RV technician so it may not be possible. This was also before I discovered that it was not sold through the Dometic RV division so I will probably end up ordering one and installing it myself.

I posted this information now in case someone else wants to try installing a SmartStart before I get my trailer but if no one does, I will post my experience with this unit once I get it.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Dometic Marine SmartStart.doc (91.0 KB, 367 views)
Old 08-20-2010, 02:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Re: Honda EU2000i and Dometic Penguin A/C with SmartStart

We have a new 2010 17B with the new Dometic AC - not sure of model #. It starts and runs with our Honda 2000.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:13 PM   #3

As far as I know, the 17' and 19' use the same Dometic Penguin 11,000 BTU air conditioner. I have no personal experience with this unit and just believed what I was told when I was informed that the Honda wouldn't be strong enough to start it.

The air conditioner is supposed to draw 9.5 amps for the compressor when loaded and 2.8 amps for the fan when loaded which is about 1476 Watts total. Since this is below the 1600W continuous rating of the EU2000i, running the air conditioner should be no problem. It is the starting current that I am concerned with but your experience confirms what I thought should be true, that the Honda, with its 2000W peak output, is powerful enough to start it as well as run it.

The question is whether the Honda will always, usually, or just sometimes work. I have read of borderline cases where the air conditioner would only start if the fan was started first and then the compressor started once the fan was going to avoid dealing with the starting current of 2 motors at the same time.

Since the SmartStart can be added at any time, and after reading of your experience, it may be wise for me to try the A/C without it before I spend a bunch of money to cure a problem that may not even exist. I would certainly appreciate hearing from more people who have used their Honda EU2000i to run the A/C on their Escape.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:24 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13

Harold:

You might want to have a look at this: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-39376.html

The Fiberglassrv.com forum has had quite a bit of discussion on the use of a Honda generator with a roof top air conditioner.

Brian

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:20 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

Just ran across this unit, might be the answer to the A/C small generator problem....
http://www.rvpartscountry.com/LW3000DometicGenerator
Old 03-16-2011, 07:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 85 Bigfoot F20 5th Wheel

Looks like a re-branded Magna SF2700. Buyer beware.
Can anyone confirm that the Honda EU2000i will or will not work with the Penguin?
So far it looks like it will.
dalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

It seems to be a tough call. Part of the problem is altitude. The generator puts out more power at sea level, and drops off as you climb. Of course, get high enough, and you don't need the AC, but in between? Another problem is the fan & compressor starting at the same time. Separate them by a couple of seconds may lower the starting current enough to get by.

From everything I've read, the 11,000 BTU Penguin is right on the line - it may work for some & not for others. I'm still waiting to hear if anyone has had any luck with installing the SmartStart model #4220040. That would be lighter, less expensive, and easier to maintain than a second Honda 2000.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:59 AM   #8

I have the SmartStart module but will not be picking up my trailer until the end of May. I will install it then and will try to document how I do it. Stay tuned to this station for further developments.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #9

Harold,

When you install the SmartStart please take pictures of the process. They really help dummies like me understand the process.

Thanks,
Barry
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #10

Thanks for the reminder Barry. I have a habit of getting totally involved in what I am doing and forgetting to take pictures. I re-wired and re-plumbed an entire house and don't have any pictures to show for it. It isn't until I'm done that I look at the finished job and think that maybe I should have taken a few pictures as I went. On the few projects where I have taken pictures, I have discovered that it takes twice as long to do the job if I do keep stopping to take pictures.
I promise to do my best on this project.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:29 AM   #11

I'm coming to this tread a bit late, but better late than never.

If I read the Dometic "SmartStart" document correctly, the EU2000 will start and run the roof A/C if the ECO mode is turned off. This raises a question:

1. Is it possible to switch the generator back to the ECO mode once the A/C is running, or does a problem arise when the A/C's compressor kicks on and off? (the A/C's fan runs constantly, of course).

We used the A/C in our old Casita once or twice that I can remember, and then only to cool the trailer in the evening after it sat baking in the sun all day. The only time I've used the Escape's A/C was to try it to ensure it worked when we got the trailer. I may just opt of the EU1000i just to keep the batteries topped up when dry camping.

Dave
Old 05-22-2011, 09:27 PM   #12

I think that the ECO mode can be on all the time if the SmartStart is installed. See http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...tioning-3.html for a more detailed explanation.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:56 AM   #13

I have just put another 1175 km on our escape 19 hear in the yukon, and for ac voltage I have a 2000se hyundy, I purchased from wal-mart for $500.00. I do not need an AC unit.

For those with an AC unit I would suggest you go to Princess Auto, they have a 3.5kw propane powered unit for $487.00 on sale right now.

The propane powered units run just about as quiet as the inverter units, and sufficient power to run an AV as well as toast your bread.

Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:07 AM   #14

Do you happen to know the actual decibel levels produced by the models you discussed?

Thanks;
Dave
Old 05-26-2011, 11:01 PM   #15

The decibel level of a Hyundai 2000si, in the book states it is 65 @ 7 meters.

The unit on sale at Princess Auto will by virtue of a larger engine be a bit more.

The part number of the Princess Auto unit is 8190365 an All-Power Propane Generator.

The Princess Auto call center is 1-800-665-8650, this will get you the dealer nearest to you.

Remember an Alberta dealer will not charge you taxes other than gst.

Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:41 AM   #16

We own Honda 2000i which is used mainly to charge batteries and operating the odd 110 volt appliance on occasion. Having heard many other generators in our years of camping this is definately the quietest one of the bunch. Not only does is operate and start flawlessly, you can easily carry on a conversation while it is running. If you put it in the bush next to your rv with exhaust pointed away, the noise is reduced to a low purr. It won't run our A/C though. Not really an issue as most times when we are in an un-serviced site in the north A/C is not needed.

Don
donwesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #17

Thank you for the information.

Dave
Old 06-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #18

SmartStart Installation

The following describes how I installed a Dometic SmartStart Model #4220040 on the Dometic 600312.331 Penguin Air Conditioner on my Escape 19 Trailer. I had no problems following the instructions that came with the SmartStart, although they are somewhat general in nature since the same unit can be used on many different models of air conditioner. This write-up is not intended to be instructions for others but is rather a detailed description of what I did.

I found the job quite straightforward and would have done it in about half an hour if I hadn’t kept stopping to take pictures and write notes.

I performed the entire operation without getting on the roof of the trailer by putting one foot on the top of a 6 ft stepladder and one knee one the edge of the roof. It would have been safer to use an 8 ft stepladder but I didn’t own one at the time. I do now since I went out and bought one the next day.

I removed the 4 screws holding the white plastic cover on, one on each side towards the back and 2 on the front using a #2 Phillips screwdriver. I lifted the right side of the cover up and slid it half off towards the left side of the trailer. At the front of the right side there is a metal box with a wiring diagram on the cover that contains the electrical components.

I removed the 2 screws holding the cover plate on the box using a 5/16 socket and removed the cover plate. I had to carefully peel away some foam insulation to get at one of the screws. Inside the electric box there was a silver run capacitor mounted vertically at the front, a black start capacitor mounted horizontally right at the bottom, and a black PTCR (Positive Temperature Coefficient Resistor) start assist mounted vertically at the back. The run capacitor has 3 terminals labelled: Fan, C (Common), and HERM (Hermetic compressor).

I removed the start capacitor. The mounting bracket is screwed to the back of the box with a sheet metal screw that has a 5/16” hex head. The problem is that it is almost impossible to get at the screw head with the capacitor in the bracket. One solution is to cut the bracket strap, remove the capacitor, and then remove the screw that holds the bracket in place. Another solution, and the one I used, is to use a pair of long needle nose pliers to reach behind the box where the pointy end of the screw sticks out, and loosen the screw by turning the threaded part with the pliers until the bracket is loose enough for the capacitor to slide out. I then bent the bracket until the screw head was accessible.

I removed the PTCR start assist by pulling it out of its bracket and then unscrewing the mounting screw. As you can see in the picture, there was lots of room to mount the SmartStart in the box.

I used the provided alcohol swap to clean the area where the box was to be mounted and then stuck it in place using the double sided tape that was already mounted on the SmartStart box. This type of tape takes some time to cure, so I resisted the urge to tug on the box it to see if it was firmly mounted.

I removed the white compressor run wire that was connected to the C terminal of the run capacitor. It is the fat one that goes to the compressor along with the blue and red wires, not to be confused it with the skinny white wire that goes to the fan.

I cut the flag terminal from the end of the white compressor wire. The yellow butt splice connector on the end of the brown wire from the SmartStart that it is supposed to connect to is for 10 or 12 gauge wire. Since the white wire is only 14 gauge, I didn’t trust it to make a good connection. My solution was to strip ½ inch of insulation from the white wire and fold it back on itself to double its thickness. I then stuck the resulting ¼ inch of thicker wire into the butt splice connector and crimped it.

I connected the white wire from the SmartStart to the C terminal of the run capacitor using the flag terminal already attached.

I connected the orange wire from the SmartStart to the Herm terminal of the run capacitor using the flag terminal already attached.

I connected the black wire from the SmartStart to the blue wire from the compressor. The problem here was that the blue wire just passes through the junction box but does not connect to anything. I created a bit of slack in the blue wire by undoing the fold in the wire between the box and the compressor.

I then cut the spade connector off the black wire and used a 14 gauge tap splice connector to make the connection to the blue wire. Another, and perhaps better, way to do this would have been to cut the blue wire and attach the black wire to the resulting 2 blue wires ends using a closed end crimp connector.

I tucked the wires into the box and reattached the cover by inserting the 2 tabs on the cover into the slots on the box and then fastened it in place with the 2 screws. I reattached the sticky backed foam that I had removed earlier to get at the screws.

I put the white air conditioner cover back on using the 4 Phillips head screws that I removed earlier. I made sure that the shoulders on the screws went into the slots in the cover instead of pressing on the outside of the cover.

These are the parts that I had left over when I was done.

A PDF version of the above is attached below.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SmartStart Installation.pdf (2.18 MB, 270 views)
Old 06-12-2011, 12:50 AM   #19

Great job!! Did the Honda 2000i have enough "umph" to operate the A/C

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #20

It's been too cold to give it a proper test with the generator. I did plug the trailer into an outlet and recorded a current draw of 10A at max cooling at high fan speed, which only proves that I installed the SmartStart correctly as it says nothing about the starting current. The real test will come on a really hot day when the air conditioner is running for a long time and then cycles. The instructions say to "Allow the SmartStart 5-10 start cycles to optimize itself" and I look forward to watching it learn. I will report back after I have given it a proper test on a hot day with the generator.