How To Winterize a Trailer - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Re: How To Winterize a Trailer

And, I have to buy a bigger house to accommodate all my tools.

baglo

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:29 AM   #22

Trailer: '07 17B

I'm just rereading this in preparation for doing mine. Just wondering if it's really necessary to cover the tires for the winter, i mean i don't think there is that much UV rays coming at you in the winter, so what's the purpose?
Oh, and also, is there any chance of getting this thread moved over to FAQ's (or Documents)? it might be easier to find there after a while...........Gary

GaryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:36 AM   #23

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

Well we (and I use the term loosely as Doug did most of the work!) winterized the trailer today and put it to bed for the winter..

NO blowing out of the lines...just drained really well and poured the antifreeze in all the proper areas... Drained hot water tank and white water was drained quite awhile ago.

Doug used the "fancy wand" to really clean out the tanks well and get the sensors all clean...Just drained the stuff into a bucket and flushed down the toilet...

I opened all the doors on the inside--made the bed back to a table and the cushions and seats are all propped up a bit so air can get in underneath..

Washed out the fridge, walls (from killing bugs) and floor (as though it will stay clean!) Bathroom was scoured on the last trip after the last shower!! (First time I had tried the shower and was impressed!)

We had a huge "van cover" from Princess Auto from when we were painting the Boler (after we sanded it all clean and washed it, it needed to be protected.) So after washing the exterior , (simple green works great on trhe black streaks) we put the cover on.

Side windows are open a smidge and the bathroom vent is open a smidge. Cover only covers just past the "belly band" The back spare tire etc area is totally covered. We used some rope to tie it in place so a good breeze won't rip it off.. It does billow a bit at the top..

We have a "stor dry" unit that we will use when the temperature drops. Will also use a heater with a thermostat if it gets cold enough as we are plugged in to the house as usual.

Battery is in the house and the tires are blocked and covered... We always cover the tires all year round as it protects them from delightful animals "marking" their territory!! (again learnt with the Boler)

Its too bad to have to put it away for the year, but the next few weekends are taken up with other stuff..
It was a GREAT first year and I know we learned a lot this year.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #24

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape

I am still unsure of how much I need to do to winterize my trailer. First of all, we'll be camping over Thanksgiving (we go up to Shore Acres State Park in Oregon to see the holiday lights display) so I can't see doing anything before then.

Second, we live on the coast in northern California and while we get frost often in the winter, we rarely approach freezing.

Month Low High
Nov 43.9F 58.0F
Dec 40.6F 55.1F
Jan 40.8F 55.0F
Feb 41.8F 55.9F
Mar 42.2F 56.1F

So I was wondering if, after our camping trip in November, I need to do much more than drain the freshwater, gray, black and hot water tanks.

Does anyone have an opinion or advice?
Old 11-01-2009, 07:24 AM   #25

Hi: cheryls... If you don't have a hard freeze there I would only drain the tanks as you suggest. It takes a few days of sub 32*f/ 0*c to freeze up the drain pipes. An electric heater on a timer/ extension cord would help if thats possible. We're on about the same latitude but our winter temps are more up and down. We have 2 seasons here Winter and Construction!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:02 AM   #26

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape

Thanks Alf
Old 11-02-2009, 10:53 AM   #27

I'm with Alf, at those temps you just have to protect from the occassional cold spell. I would keep the ceramic heater in the camper to protect the inside water lines (checking often to be sure the fuse hasn't tripped, and the heater is on), drain the black, gray, and fresh water tanks and water heater (since it essentially is outside). Drop some pink stuff (RV antifreeze) down the black and gray tanks (to protect the outlets under the camper) and the "p" traps of the sinks and shower. All of those are outside, so need protection. In that scenerio, if you want to take off somewhere, all you need do is redirect the hot water bypass, and fill it, and put some water in your fresh water tank (if you were going somewhere that didn't have water - if not, leave it empty). All the rest will be flushed out when you dump! Enjoy some winter camping!
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour

We think we have winterized but I see a little bit of difference in the older instructions from what we have. Here are some photos for newbies.
Someone can correct this if incorrect, please.

We drained the fresh water tank by turning the valve on the tank on the right in photo.
We drained the low point drain by removing the black plug at the end of the white tubing.
Held open toilet valve ten seconds and opened all of the taps.

We removed the screen from the city water fill and pushed on the white valve inside to release some water there. Put back the screen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010111.jpg (28.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg P1010115.jpg (25.7 KB, 17 views)
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:18 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6

I'm not sure what your question is.

baglo

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:23 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour

Then we removed the anode from the hot water tank. Didn't have the 1 1/16" socket wrench handy when last at a campground so unfortunately we did not flush out the tank as we can't do that at storage. Hope it can wait. Put back the anode with new teflon tape.

Also ran the water pump for ten seconds.
We left the taps open.

Put RV/Marine anti-freeze in toilet, kitchen sink and shower as in the latest instructions.
They did not say to do the bath sink. Or to leave some in the toilet bowl. Are we supposed to do those too? Will have to go get some more anti-freeze maybe. We only put it where the later instructions said.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010102.jpg (39.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg P1010092.jpg (102.0 KB, 19 views)

float5 is offline   Reply With Quote