How To Winterize a Trailer - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2020, 03:56 PM   #101

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Just a reminder, we are expecting our first frost here in central Pennsylvania tonite, I had winterized a couple of weeks ago but took a gallon of antifreeze out to trailer and poured a cup down each drain (there are 3 if you have a bath ) to winterize the "P" trap. Trailer is now ready for winter.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:05 PM   #102

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Just a reminder, we are expecting our first frost here in central Pennsylvania tonite, I had winterized a couple of weeks ago but took a gallon of antifreeze out to trailer and poured a cup down each drain (there are 3 if you have a bath ) to winterize the "P" trap. Trailer is now ready for winter.
Thank you Jim for your post . We winterized our trailer last week and your post reminded me that I forgot to put RV antifreeze in the shower drain .
We had snow this morning which is a sure sign that winter is coming
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:53 AM   #103

Trailer: 2019 17B
Good reminder

I forget things so easily that I make my own cheat sheets for the trailer. Attached, for what it's worth, is our winterizing protocol.

Eric
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Winterizing the Escape.pdf (708.8 KB, 126 views)
Old 10-25-2020, 09:26 AM   #104

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Do not forget to release the fresh water supply pressure by removing the mesh filter and push the pressure release plastic pin. Pictures later
Old 10-26-2020, 11:58 AM   #105

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Q. What does bypassing the hot water tank do?
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:12 PM   #106

Trailer: Escape 21 2019
I did this for the first time yesterday. One thing I think could be improved on the process is the air compressor fitting (using the one supplied by Escape and available widely). Maybe I am wrong, but the only way I could drive air into the fitting was to physically push a schrader tire nozzle against the fitting. This made it a 2 person job - one to hold the air compressor nozzle and another to run around the trailer opening and closing water valves. It would be much better to have fitting that I could just attach and walk away. If something doesn't exist to purchase then I guess I will make one for next time.

Does anyone use a Viair compressor for this? It would be handy to be able to run a compressor off 12V but since there is no pressure regulator (and again, the fitting isn't very handy) I thought it better to use my garage air compressor...which meant plugging into the outlets at the storage site....probably frowned upon. Of course the Viair would be slower but I imagine it would get there eventually.
daniel108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:24 PM   #107

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Q. What does bypassing the hot water tank do?

Prevents putting six gallons of antifreeze into the tank.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:34 PM   #108

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel108 View Post
I did this for the first time yesterday. One thing I think could be improved on the process is the air compressor fitting (using the one supplied by Escape and available widely). Maybe I am wrong, but the only way I could drive air into the fitting was to physically push a schrader tire nozzle against the fitting. This made it a 2 person job - one to hold the air compressor nozzle and another to run around the trailer opening and closing water valves. It would be much better to have fitting that I could just attach and walk away. If something doesn't exist to purchase then I guess I will make one for next time.

Does anyone use a Viair compressor for this? It would be handy to be able to run a compressor off 12V but since there is no pressure regulator (and again, the fitting isn't very handy) I thought it better to use my garage air compressor...which meant plugging into the outlets at the storage site....probably frowned upon. Of course the Viair would be slower but I imagine it would get there eventually.
You can either make or purchase a quick connect to hose connection adapter.

As to the ViAir compressor, since most don't have a storage tank, it is difficult to get a long burst of air to clear the plumbing. If you use a large stationary compressor, be sure it is either oilless or has a filter to remove the oil. Getting the oily taste out of the trailer pluming is difficult.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:01 PM   #109

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
oooh forgot the shower train! i don't really pour it down the other drains because when I'm doing the water faucets it pours down the drains. it usually takes about a gallon and a half am i using too little?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:00 PM   #110

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
It is 19°F here in NM and snowing lightly all day. Have the trailer on shore power in the yard and the furnace on, set all night at 60 degrees . This is a good thing since I have not winterized yet.

A check of my lithium battery a few moments ago shows it is now down to 11.4 volts from 13.4volts yesterday when the sun was shining. Guess will be upgrading my WFCO.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:38 PM   #111

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I'm winterized but still running the heater at about 45°. Might go out again sometime next week or later. Water is now down for the season.

Got about a foot last night. Still a little wet. This is a night for shrimp bisque soup.
Attached Thumbnails
Zen 10-25-20.jpg   Back yard first snow.jpg   shrimp-bisque.jpg  
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:51 PM   #112

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
oooh forgot the shower train! i don't really pour it down the other drains because when I'm doing the water faucets it pours down the drains. it usually takes about a gallon and a half am i using too little?
Hi Kate
A gallon and a half is what I usually use. When done pumping the antifreeze through the system and all taps run pink etc, we put a couple glugs in the kitchen sink, the bathroom sink, and the shower drain on the 21. Since I pump the pink stuff in through the city water hookup, I know that the backflow does not need pressed. But I do take the hoses off the water pump and make sure there’s no fresh water perched in the pump. I’m ready with a towel when I do this and it’s usual for some fresh water to appear. Doing it this way since 2017 and since our unheated, soffit vented building gets down to -15 F a few times each winter and I’ve had no damage, I’ll probably keep on doing it this way. We put the winterizing T valve on the 2010 19
and it worked well too. On that one I had to push the city water connection valve. Either way, not a big deal. We remove the cushions, top off the battery and take any vermin attractants out of the Escape and we use painters masking tape to cover all the vents except the battery vent.

Tally Ho, had a red in the back yard a couple weeks ago.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-26-2020, 04:11 PM   #113

i am curious about the bath plumbing. If I pour antifreeze in the sink, does it end up in the same p-trap as the shower?
Old 10-26-2020, 04:24 PM   #114

Trailer: 2020 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
i am curious about the bath plumbing. If I pour antifreeze in the sink, does it end up in the same p-trap as the shower?
In my 17B the kitchen sink and bathroom sink share the same trap. The shower trap is separate.
BC_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:29 PM   #115

Thanks. Guess I have one more chore.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:04 PM   #116

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA, 2018 F150 2.7 EB
Caution: release pressure valve on water heater

Some previous posts owners have bravely confessed some stupid mistakes, so I feel emboldened to reveal a very foolish (and potentially dangerous) mistake in winterizing. The fresh water tank and the water tank were empty. I used the intake hose to pump in RV anti-freeze but had failed to properly isolate the water heater. Upon recognizing I was dumping anti-freeze into the water heater, I then properly isolated it. Before removing the water heater anode to drain the heater, I failed to release the pressure valve first. As I unscrewed the anode, it flew out under pressure, and I was doused with about three gallons of anti-freeze. I spent the next half hour washing my eyes. I was surprised the water heater was still under pressure. Please don't make this mistake. Result? Eyes are fine. Memory questionable.
LoonCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:22 PM   #117

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Don’t feel bad, the “I didn’t release the pressure before pulling the anode” accident has been experienced by many. In my life I’ve been lucky most of the time.

I made a similar mistake on our 19. However mine was removing the anode under pressure with hot water in the tank as I’d left the propane on till just before starting on the anode. By chance my fingers touched the tank and I sensed it was hot, the light came on and I wondered if it was under pressure. Into the camper, I opened the tap with the pump off and the water ran hot for a little bit till the pressure went down. Back outside, I took the anode out carefully, stepped aside and watched the water drain. Could have turned out differently, I was just lucky.

I’ve seen nasty industrial accidents with water pressure, chemicals, high speed grinders, the release of metal, wood, etc under pressure, snapped cables, chains and rope.

Close call today and you’ll not forget it in the future. Your post is a service and commendable.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-26-2020, 08:36 PM   #118

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I use a small portable air compressor by Lowe’s brand Kobalt. It locks on the nipple of the adaptor and you can dial pressure you want not exceed. Worked great . Cheap, as I own batteries for other tools in the system .
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:00 AM   #119

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
A recent winterization video from Escape which is pretty good. Covers both methods- compressed air and antifreeze. Thankfully he does include depressurizing the hot water heater tank before pulling the anode as pointed out above.

Old 10-27-2020, 07:20 AM   #120

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel108 View Post

I have a device I bought at Campingworld that screws onto the water intake and has a quick connect on the other end for an air hose. Makes it a one person job. I have a tank and dual compressors on my truck. Set the pressure and I'm in business.