How To Winterize a Trailer - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2015, 03:41 PM   #71

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
No crimper needed for this install. Just a hacksaw. Shut off valve is compression fitting, Home Depot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PEX.jpg (57.9 KB, 23 views)

Old 11-09-2015, 03:52 PM   #72

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
No crimper needed for this install. Just a hacksaw. Shut off valve is compression fitting, Home Depot.
Hi Myron . Is the body of valve brass and what size diameter of the line . Pat

Patandlinda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:06 PM   #73

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
It is brass. For 1/2 inch line, if I read the raised info on it correctly. Check my picture up close. As I recall cutting the PEX the correct opening is critical. Measure carefully. PEX is extremely stiff --had very limited space to move the lines back away then jam into the valve.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:45 PM   #74

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
It is brass. For 1/2 inch line, if I read the raised info on it correctly. Check my picture up close. As I recall cutting the PEX the correct opening is critical. Measure carefully. PEX is extremely stiff --had very limited space to move the lines back away then jam into the valve.
Thanks Myron ! Pat
Patandlinda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:21 PM   #75

Trailer: Escape(d)
battery maintenance

We too do not want to have to lug the batteries (dual 6v) into the house but the trailer is stored in a facility with no power... (but only about 2 miles from home)
Here are the options we are considering
1) Use the battery disconnect switch to protect against loads from LEDs, monitors etc then stop by with the Jeep every few weeks and give it a short "boost" by engaging the batteries and hooking it to the Jeep for a charge if the battery panel shows less than full charge. If necessary to run longer than 20-30 minutes then choice 2 would better.
2) Disengage the batteries but bring home every month to leave connected to the 110v outlet for a day before returning to its storage place.
3) Leave the batteries on and installing a 10 Watt solar trickle charger (Go Power) which connects through the 7pin round connector. The solar panel would likely only get 2-3 hours of direct sun per day and could have overcast days for a couple weeks at a time.

Boise winter temps are usually in the 0-40 degrees F range.

Which idea seems the best
Mountain_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:31 PM   #76

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA 2016 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Those batteries are heavy! We pulled them out in the fall and kept them on a battery tender in our heated garage until spring.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:43 PM   #77

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_gal View Post
We too do not want to have to lug the batteries (dual 6v) into the house but the trailer is stored in a facility with no power... (but only about 2 miles from home)
Here are the options we are considering
1) Use the battery disconnect switch to protect against loads from LEDs, monitors etc then stop by with the Jeep every few weeks and give it a short "boost" by engaging the batteries and hooking it to the Jeep for a charge if the battery panel shows less than full charge. If necessary to run longer than 20-30 minutes then choice 2 would better.
2) Disengage the batteries but bring home every month to leave connected to the 110v outlet for a day before returning to its storage place.
3) Leave the batteries on and installing a 10 Watt solar trickle charger (Go Power) which connects through the 7pin round connector. The solar panel would likely only get 2-3 hours of direct sun per day and could have overcast days for a couple weeks at a time.

Boise winter temps are usually in the 0-40 degrees F range.

Which idea seems the best
I would opt for #3. You should still monitor once in awhile to ensure the voltage is up, but with no draw, you should be just fine. Taking the batteries out is an avoidable pain in the butt.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:16 PM   #78

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 97 Ford Ranger
I would go with #3 with the solar panel connected right onto the batteries and the battery disconnect switch in the position that disconnects the batteries from any power drain.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:25 PM   #79

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
I would go with #3 with the solar panel connected right onto the batteries and the battery disconnect switch in the position that disconnects the batteries from any power drain.
That's worked for me on boats for many years.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:58 PM   #80

Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
I added an SAE port to plug into the input side of the gopower controller. I bought one of the 10 watt solar battery chargers to plug in while the trailer is covered for the winter. Also it serves for a plug in for a future 120 watt folding panel for boondocking. Port is wired in parallel to rooftop panel.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote