How To Winterize a Trailer - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-09-2015, 03:41 PM   #71
Senior Member
 
MyronL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Edgewood, New Mexico
Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Posts: 1,713
No crimper needed for this install. Just a hacksaw. Shut off valve is compression fitting, Home Depot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PEX.jpg (57.9 KB, 23 views)
__________________

__________________
Myron
"A billion here, a billion there...add it all up and before you know it you're talking real money." Everett Dirkson
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:52 PM   #72
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 2,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
No crimper needed for this install. Just a hacksaw. Shut off valve is compression fitting, Home Depot.
Hi Myron . Is the body of valve brass and what size diameter of the line . Pat
__________________

Patandlinda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:06 PM   #73
Senior Member
 
MyronL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Edgewood, New Mexico
Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Posts: 1,713
It is brass. For 1/2 inch line, if I read the raised info on it correctly. Check my picture up close. As I recall cutting the PEX the correct opening is critical. Measure carefully. PEX is extremely stiff --had very limited space to move the lines back away then jam into the valve.
__________________
Myron
"A billion here, a billion there...add it all up and before you know it you're talking real money." Everett Dirkson
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:45 PM   #74
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 2,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
It is brass. For 1/2 inch line, if I read the raised info on it correctly. Check my picture up close. As I recall cutting the PEX the correct opening is critical. Measure carefully. PEX is extremely stiff --had very limited space to move the lines back away then jam into the valve.
Thanks Myron ! Pat
Patandlinda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:21 PM   #75
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Boise, Idaho
Trailer: Escape(d)
Posts: 46
battery maintenance

We too do not want to have to lug the batteries (dual 6v) into the house but the trailer is stored in a facility with no power... (but only about 2 miles from home)
Here are the options we are considering
1) Use the battery disconnect switch to protect against loads from LEDs, monitors etc then stop by with the Jeep every few weeks and give it a short "boost" by engaging the batteries and hooking it to the Jeep for a charge if the battery panel shows less than full charge. If necessary to run longer than 20-30 minutes then choice 2 would better.
2) Disengage the batteries but bring home every month to leave connected to the 110v outlet for a day before returning to its storage place.
3) Leave the batteries on and installing a 10 Watt solar trickle charger (Go Power) which connects through the 7pin round connector. The solar panel would likely only get 2-3 hours of direct sun per day and could have overcast days for a couple weeks at a time.

Boise winter temps are usually in the 0-40 degrees F range.

Which idea seems the best
Mountain_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:31 PM   #76
Senior Member
 
SpokanEscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Spokane, Washington
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA 2016 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Posts: 368
Those batteries are heavy! We pulled them out in the fall and kept them on a battery tender in our heated garage until spring.
__________________
Jan and Paul
"Le Bon Oeuf"
SpokanEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:43 PM   #77
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 9,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_gal View Post
We too do not want to have to lug the batteries (dual 6v) into the house but the trailer is stored in a facility with no power... (but only about 2 miles from home)
Here are the options we are considering
1) Use the battery disconnect switch to protect against loads from LEDs, monitors etc then stop by with the Jeep every few weeks and give it a short "boost" by engaging the batteries and hooking it to the Jeep for a charge if the battery panel shows less than full charge. If necessary to run longer than 20-30 minutes then choice 2 would better.
2) Disengage the batteries but bring home every month to leave connected to the 110v outlet for a day before returning to its storage place.
3) Leave the batteries on and installing a 10 Watt solar trickle charger (Go Power) which connects through the 7pin round connector. The solar panel would likely only get 2-3 hours of direct sun per day and could have overcast days for a couple weeks at a time.

Boise winter temps are usually in the 0-40 degrees F range.

Which idea seems the best
I would opt for #3. You should still monitor once in awhile to ensure the voltage is up, but with no draw, you should be just fine. Taking the batteries out is an avoidable pain in the butt.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA (January 27)
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:16 PM   #78
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Surrey, British Columbia
Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 97 Ford Ranger
Posts: 173
I would go with #3 with the solar panel connected right onto the batteries and the battery disconnect switch in the position that disconnects the batteries from any power drain.
__________________
____
John
jxoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:25 PM   #79
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Posts: 2,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
I would go with #3 with the solar panel connected right onto the batteries and the battery disconnect switch in the position that disconnects the batteries from any power drain.
That's worked for me on boats for many years.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:58 PM   #80
Senior Member
 
skiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jeromesville, Ohio
Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
I would go with #3 with the solar panel connected right onto the batteries and the battery disconnect switch in the position that disconnects the batteries from any power drain.
I added an SAE port to plug into the input side of the gopower controller. I bought one of the 10 watt solar battery chargers to plug in while the trailer is covered for the winter. Also it serves for a plug in for a future 120 watt folding panel for boondocking. Port is wired in parallel to rooftop panel.
__________________

__________________
Carl,

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.