How To Winterize a Trailer - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2015, 03:30 PM   #61

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
No space, the plywood is epoxied to the shell.
Yes, as Jim points out, the floor is somewhat higher than the perimeter which have trunnions (similar to a moat) built in. This allows any water that was to enter to escape by collecting around the perimeter and exit through seep holes drilled into the shell.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:06 PM   #62

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-twnbob View Post
I blew out the water lines on our 5.0TA today and am a bit concerned about water remaining in the low points. The hot and cold water lines for the sink cross over to that side by running outside of the coach next to the axle. They then re enter the coach and go to the sink. These lines are the lowest point in the system and since they are outside, must be mostly clear of water. My concern is there could be more residual water there than should be and freeze. Am I just over thinking this? Thanks, Bob
For reference, here is a photo of a 21, of the lines that run from under the foot of the bed, over to the sink. As they are PEX, they should not be inconvenienced by a small amount of frozen residual water - so I am led to believe by the PEX manufactures.

--
Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Underside of 21.jpg  
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:41 PM   #63

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I have had a lot of experience with PEX. The beauty of the stuff is that it can freeze but won't rupture. I just wish Escape would have used the brass couplings instead of the plastic ones. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:11 PM   #64

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
I have had a lot of experience with PEX. The beauty of the stuff is that it can freeze but won't rupture. I just wish Escape would have used the brass couplings instead of the plastic ones. Loren
Question for Loren. How hard would it be cut the line and install a T fitting with a 1 threaded end for a cap to facilitate a drain? I think that the outside run would be a great place for a low point drain. Special tools required for the crimps? The tool too bulky for the space? I have heard that PEX will not rupture in the cold, but the plastic fittings will.
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:29 PM   #65

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I just wish Escape would have used the brass couplings instead of the plastic ones. Loren
I used to think the same thing, and mostly buy the brass ones myself, but our plumbers almost exclusively use the plastic ones, saying they are way stronger than the pipe anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-twnbob View Post
Question for Loren. How hard would it be cut the line and install a T fitting with a 1 threaded end for a cap to facilitate a drain? I think that the outside run would be a great place for a low point drain. Special tools required for the crimps? The tool too bulky for the space? I have heard that PEX will not rupture in the cold, but the plastic fittings will.
That would be an easy thing to do. You do need the proper crimper to do the job, but many stores rent them. I have a few if you want to borrow one.

You do need to make certain that ALL the lines will drain back to that point. They used to do that when they installed the low-point drain, but may not worry as much now. As well, I understand the reason they went away from it, was there was no way to back drain the toilet valve they use now.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:25 PM   #66

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I guess Jim answered all of the questions here so I won't elaborate, but I think the best way to winterize a trailer is to take it and yourselves down very far south in the US and stay there until spring. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:15 PM   #67

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Now that's funny, and very effective.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:57 AM   #68

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A/2015 21 coming in march
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I was wondering on the air thing too. Thanks for the link to that fitting Donna, I will have to look for one, though I would be an RV shop would have it. An air compressor can have the output pressure adjusted to whatever you would like. If you don't have one, I bet a neighbour or friend would have one you could borrow, or you could rent one for an hour or so.

If there is a disconnect switch for the batteries, would you still need to remove the leads. There should be no chance of a current draw. And if so, should the batteries be brought in so they could get a wee trickle charge every once in a while. I will be cold storing my trailer out at on some rec land we have.
My 21 has a disconnect switch.Put am still worried about batteries freezing.So should i remove or just leave the trailer plugged into shore power. thanks
WLYBGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:13 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLYBGR View Post
My 21 has a disconnect switch.Put am still worried about batteries freezing.So should i remove or just leave the trailer plugged into shore power. thanks
You do not have to remove the batteries, just ensure they are kept fully charged with the electrolyte level topped up, and they won't freeze. It is no different than the batteries in your vehicles. If the trailer is at home, I would just plug it in a couple times over the winter for a day, or if not near home and power is available, it will not hurt to keep it plugged in.

There is nothing wrong with removing them and bringing them in the house if you want, I just find that to be too much of a hassle.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-09-2015, 10:41 AM   #70

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I guess Jim answered all of the questions here so I won't elaborate, but I think the best way to winterize a trailer is to take it and yourselves down very far south in the US and stay there until spring. Loren
This has my vote!!
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:41 PM   #71

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
No crimper needed for this install. Just a hacksaw. Shut off valve is compression fitting, Home Depot.
Attached Thumbnails
PEX.jpg  
Old 11-09-2015, 02:52 PM   #72

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
No crimper needed for this install. Just a hacksaw. Shut off valve is compression fitting, Home Depot.
Hi Myron . Is the body of valve brass and what size diameter of the line . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:06 PM   #73

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
It is brass. For 1/2 inch line, if I read the raised info on it correctly. Check my picture up close. As I recall cutting the PEX the correct opening is critical. Measure carefully. PEX is extremely stiff --had very limited space to move the lines back away then jam into the valve.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:45 PM   #74

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
It is brass. For 1/2 inch line, if I read the raised info on it correctly. Check my picture up close. As I recall cutting the PEX the correct opening is critical. Measure carefully. PEX is extremely stiff --had very limited space to move the lines back away then jam into the valve.
Thanks Myron ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:21 PM   #75

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
battery maintenance

We too do not want to have to lug the batteries (dual 6v) into the house but the trailer is stored in a facility with no power... (but only about 2 miles from home)
Here are the options we are considering
1) Use the battery disconnect switch to protect against loads from LEDs, monitors etc then stop by with the Jeep every few weeks and give it a short "boost" by engaging the batteries and hooking it to the Jeep for a charge if the battery panel shows less than full charge. If necessary to run longer than 20-30 minutes then choice 2 would better.
2) Disengage the batteries but bring home every month to leave connected to the 110v outlet for a day before returning to its storage place.
3) Leave the batteries on and installing a 10 Watt solar trickle charger (Go Power) which connects through the 7pin round connector. The solar panel would likely only get 2-3 hours of direct sun per day and could have overcast days for a couple weeks at a time.

Boise winter temps are usually in the 0-40 degrees F range.

Which idea seems the best
Mountain_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:31 PM   #76

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Those batteries are heavy! We pulled them out in the fall and kept them on a battery tender in our heated garage until spring.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:43 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_gal View Post
We too do not want to have to lug the batteries (dual 6v) into the house but the trailer is stored in a facility with no power... (but only about 2 miles from home)
Here are the options we are considering
1) Use the battery disconnect switch to protect against loads from LEDs, monitors etc then stop by with the Jeep every few weeks and give it a short "boost" by engaging the batteries and hooking it to the Jeep for a charge if the battery panel shows less than full charge. If necessary to run longer than 20-30 minutes then choice 2 would better.
2) Disengage the batteries but bring home every month to leave connected to the 110v outlet for a day before returning to its storage place.
3) Leave the batteries on and installing a 10 Watt solar trickle charger (Go Power) which connects through the 7pin round connector. The solar panel would likely only get 2-3 hours of direct sun per day and could have overcast days for a couple weeks at a time.

Boise winter temps are usually in the 0-40 degrees F range.

Which idea seems the best
I would opt for #3. You should still monitor once in awhile to ensure the voltage is up, but with no draw, you should be just fine. Taking the batteries out is an avoidable pain in the butt.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:16 PM   #78

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
I would go with #3 with the solar panel connected right onto the batteries and the battery disconnect switch in the position that disconnects the batteries from any power drain.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:25 PM   #79

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
I would go with #3 with the solar panel connected right onto the batteries and the battery disconnect switch in the position that disconnects the batteries from any power drain.
That's worked for me on boats for many years.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:58 PM   #80

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
I added an SAE port to plug into the input side of the gopower controller. I bought one of the 10 watt solar battery chargers to plug in while the trailer is covered for the winter. Also it serves for a plug in for a future 120 watt folding panel for boondocking. Port is wired in parallel to rooftop panel.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote