In Trailer Storage Items - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #1

In Trailer Storage Items

Hey,

I was not sure how to word the title but here goes. In an area where it rarely dips below 0Deg but in the summer does attain 90deg plus choosing items to store and leave in the trailer has become an exercise in patience. Why you ask ? Well looking up the freezing points of things and figuring out what degradation of a product might occur at high temps is time consuming and honestly lol BORING.

With that said I am wondering if my Search FU here, fiberglassrv or Google is that bad. As I have not come across a list with items that are safe to leave in the trailer IE Cleaning products, clothing etc. So I figure come here and see what folks normally leave in at that end of a trip or over winter etc.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I would not leave any food items, other than perhaps items in a packaged box, no unopened cans nor liquids. That said, cleansers would seem okay. Candles, like citronella will/may melt. Clothing and electrical items should be fine. Leaving your window cracked and your fan vent open will allow heat to escape. If you have your unit under cover then the shade should keep it a lot cooler.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
Hey,

I was not sure how to word the title but here goes. In an area where it rarely dips below 0Deg but in the summer does attain 90deg plus choosing items to store and leave in the trailer has become an exercise in patience. Why you ask ? Well looking up the freezing points of things and figuring out what degradation of a product might occur at high temps is time consuming and honestly lol BORING.

With that said I am wondering if my Search FU here, fiberglassrv or Google is that bad. As I have not come across a list with items that are safe to leave in the trailer IE Cleaning products, clothing etc. So I figure come here and see what folks normally leave in at that end of a trip or over winter etc.

Cypher
Hi: Cypherian... Either my wife or myself... haven't figured out which yet!!! At home I sleep watching TV while she snores. I try to sleep in bed while she snores so back to the TV. Maybe one or the other should stay as "In trailer storage items". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Our lists

We have a checklist. The "stock" items live in the trailer, but are checked each trip. (Or they used to until a lady T-Boned us and totaled our Casita. We are in the process of trying to order an Escape 19 - Reace is being a bit less than responsive.)

Doug
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TakeWithList.pdf (51.0 KB, 90 views)
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Looks like you and I will have #1 and #2 19'Escape in 2014. Just 195 or so days to go before ours is complete.
kstock11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We remove most food items after every trip. There is not that much left over usually. It gives us a chance to restock with fresh stuff where needed.

For our gear I have a pretty comprehensive check list, often more than we would take, and usually quickly cross off what is not packed and what is not applicable for that trip.

We menu plan separate. When doing shorter boondocking trips like we usually do, we just plan a menu for the entire trip. When travelling, we just stock up on basics, and only have 2 or 3 days worth of supplies.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
Reace is being a bit less than responsive.
A bit curious on this, as Reace was always very responsive with my communications. Busy as he is, some would come through later in the evening.

I was looking at your list, and I probably have way more than twice as many items, and none of them are food related. So much for thinking I am a minimalist.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
A bit curious on this, as Reace was always very responsive with my communications. Busy as he is, some would come through later in the evening.
Is anyone else having problems with Shaw tonight? Our Shawmail has been out for a couple of hours - can't log-in, and their phone lines are busy. Maybe that's what's holding Reace up.
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #9

I am using Shaw with no problems. Could be regional though.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #10

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
Isn't Reace on his way to Bandon gathering??
Old 07-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am using Shaw with no problems. Could be regional though.
Hmm - don't know. We're both in BC. Our Shaw phone and internet are working; just not the webmail.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirie View Post
Isn't Reace on his way to Bandon gathering??
Bandon gathering is next week (Thursday, July 18th, through Sunday, July 21st) so would it be a bit early for him to have left yet?
Old 07-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I talked to Tammy tonight and they had a 4 hour power outage. She was busy returning a backlog of calls.

John
Jrn56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #14

HmmmName:  tjcover.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  11.2 KB

Cypherian
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #15

Trailer: 2012 15-A
Our shaw e-mail is out here in Brentwood Bay tonight as well.

Scott
Kærnehuset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:54 AM   #16

Let's try and help the OP here with his question. I'm sure the communication issue has been resolved.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
"...As I have not come across a list with items that are safe to leave in the trailer IE Cleaning products, clothing etc. So I figure come here and see what folks normally leave in at that end of a trip or over winter etc. "

Dishwashing liquid, porta-potty neutralizing fluids, Mister Clean, wash cloths, and bar soap. Don't want nesting opportunities for mice, so all bedding is removed. After one winter I found had also left un-opened cans of Dinty Moore, and Campbell's pork and beans. Threw them out.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #18

I empty the refer after each trip but leave any unopened can goods and packaged food in the trailer. I have not had any mice issues. In the winter time, I leave a small heater on in the bath where the interior does not go below 30 degrees fahrenheit. As we tend to use the unit in the winter, the only items we will replenish would be fresh food and clean clothes.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm always thinking about "bugging out." Those conditions that Mother Nature throws at you that you can't control. Everything from earthquakes to fires to "whatever." From my first camping trip to the last... the trailer stays packed. I went through my clothing and picked out "camping" clothing. I have duplicates from house to trailer for just about everything. AFTER the last "planned" camping trip... everything that can freeze or aborb moisture comes out of the trailer and into the house.... cushions, food, clothing. I'm screwed if I NEED to hookup and tow immediately October-April.... but, April to October.... everything is there EXCEPT fresh food. I also live in the Pacific NorthWET. Pretty dang mild.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:00 AM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My buddy Keath was checking out the pantry in Toad on our recent trip. He noted that I had Bull's Eye BBQ sauce and Zesty Italian dressing that had passed the best before date a year or two ago. Those are now gone to the land fill. So, best to recycle food stuffs through the house and refresh the trailer from time to time.