Jacking Up Escape for Winter? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Jacking Up Escape for Winter?

Back in our 13' Scamp days, and even with our 16' Casita, I would put the camper on jack stands, placed near the axles, to take the weight off the wheels and suspension for the winter. Especially with the Scamp, the concern was that over time the elastomer in the suspension would weaken to the point of tires eventually rubbing the tops of the wheel wells. I just came back from jacking our 19 up a couple of inches and putting stands under the frame right behind the rear wheels. It's not high enough to take all the weight off the wheels, but some. Am I wasting my time? With the stands right behind the wheels, I don't think I'm stressing the frame, but maybe it's not worth the bother. Anyone else do this?
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
I have alway put RV on jack stands for the winter how can you go wrong. I also keep my tires just a little bit off the ground. Don't know if it's true but I have heard that it's not good to leave your tires frozen to concrete for long periods of time. Anyways that what I will be also doing to my new Escape 19 when get next May.
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Okay, I may take some heat for this, but that's okay... this is MHO. My soon-to-be 26 year old Scamp is on it's second axle. It has NEVER been stored with the weight off the axle. I replaced the original about 8 years ago. The part cost me $450. 20 years = 7,300 days / $450 = .06 cents a day. I lose more than that in the sofa cushions every day! I'm at the stage of my life convenience is important. I want to come home on a Friday night, hookup and leave.. It doesn't matter the time of year to me, it's the fact I can... like BUG OUT! I don't want to screw around removing blocks and jacks and stuff. Even worse is having to put on tires because someone said you can gain a couple of years by storing them in the garage! I know at least one person who jacks up his trailer if he's not going to use it for 30 days... really? I mean really? There are people who turn themselves into pretzles protecting a $70 battery for five years, but cheap out on tires and/or wax. One which is a safety issue and the other can add years to the gelcoat.

So, while I'm not answering your specific question.. ask yourself... what's important to you? Time is money. And frankly so is convenience. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Parker, it is certainly recommended to do that. I am with Donna though. Don't want to bother and want to be able to move it if necessary. We move ours at different times during the winter, however, to have the wheels in different positions so the weight will perhaps not affect the tires or bearings or whatever as much.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
All I do is back the tires it up on some 2 X 12s take about 20% of the weight with the jacks turn the key and that it. The trailer is at dry weight, so it's nice and light already.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #6

Okay, so far I like Donna's answer the best. I'm probably a little more of the "if it's not that hard, go ahead and do it" mindset, but I certainly can't fault her logic. I'll still probably jack ours up when stored for much of the winter, but otherwise it's ready to roll. I haven't heard anyone say it's putting any harmful load on the frame or the like.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
When it comes to the tires, web lore is that tires should be replaced at five years of age, regardless of tread. So, I can't imagine that taking weight off them would extend their life, or make any difference really.
I'm still running the original bearings after five years. That leaves the axle and you won't know if un-weighting the trailer helped until it's 35 years old or so. And, even then, you'd have to buy a second Escape to use as the control for the experiment.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #8

My primary concern is having the suspension settle. The larger the trailer, the less that seems to be a problem, it seems. I'm in the habit of not running tires longer than five years, so I doubt that taking the weight off them is going to matter all that much.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Okay, so far I like Donna's answer the best. I'm probably a little more of the "if it's not that hard, go ahead and do it" mindset, but I certainly can't fault her logic. I'll still probably jack ours up when stored for much of the winter, but otherwise it's ready to roll. I haven't heard anyone say it's putting any harmful load on the frame or the like.
Parker, that's exactly as it should be. It's more about YOU and less about US. You can ask opinions of all the 2,313 registered members here on the EscapeForum, then filter those opinions as they apply to you.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
In the past I have put it on jack stands. This year I think I will just use each of the 4 scissor jacks and the front jack enough to take some weight off the axle, then, as per Goodyear recommendations, inflate the tires to 60lb. I think with the weight distributed to all 5 points that it should not be putting any stress on the frame?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #11

Don't know about your particular situation, but Escape describes them as stabilizers, not jacks. The ones I have on mine are not intended to lift the trailer, and to use them that way will damage them.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:13 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Mine are the full scissor jacks - Reace said they came by mistake, so he went ahead and put them on at no extra cost to me. He said I could probably change a tire using them.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-20-2013, 11:57 PM   #13

Trailer: 2001 Bigfoot 21RB/ 73Boler/Trillium 5500
I park all my trailers when outside on wood to insulate them from the warm or cold ground.
Chuck
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I park all my trailers when outside on wood to insulate them from the warm or cold ground.
Chuck
I need somebody to explain the science behind that.

I can understand how, if I sit on a piece of plywood, I will be warmer than if I sit on concrete, but I'm emitting heat and the plywood is an insulator. But, the tire isn't emitting any heat. So how does that work?

baglo
Old 11-21-2013, 02:09 AM   #15

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I had 2 year old Maxtow tires go bad with bubbles in the inside of the tire. When I brought it into the small tire shop I use the owner suggested getting the tires off the ground when I put it in winter storage, best yet was to remove them and bring them in out of the cold. I can understand getting them off the ground so as to not damage the sidewalls sitting in one position when stored for our 5/6 months of winter (his description), but not bringing them in the basement. Since putting on the new tires I've been blocking it up for the winter.
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:37 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I need somebody to explain the science behind that.

I can understand how, if I sit on a piece of plywood, I will be warmer than if I sit on concrete, but I'm emitting heat and the plywood is an insulator. But, the tire isn't emitting any heat. So how does that work?

baglo
Actually, Rubber likes wood better than concrete or asphalt and dirt. Rubber comes from trees. If you can prevent any kind of leaching using wood it may help the tire.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:35 AM   #17

Here is what Goodyear recommends:

"storing your vehicle properly helps protect your tires.
• Keep your vehicle in a cool, dry storage area out of direct sunlight and UV rays.
• Unload your vehicle so that minimum weight is on the tires.
• Inflate your tires to recommended operation pressure plus 25%, but don’t exceed the rim manufacturer’s inflation capacity.
• Thoroughly clean your tires with soap and water before storing them to remove any oils that may have accumulated from the road.
• Move your vehicle at least every three months to help prevent cracking and flat-spotting, but avoid moving it during extremely cold weather.
• Place your vehicle on blocks to remove the weight from the tires. If the vehicle can’t be put on blocks, make sure the storage surface is firm, clean, well-drained and reasonably level."

Old 11-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Actually, Rubber likes wood better than concrete or asphalt and dirt. Rubber comes from trees. If you can prevent any kind of leaching using wood it may help the tire.
Jim, I looked around a bit and couldn't find anything reliable about concrete or dirt being bad for tires to sit on, but I did find this: Bridgestone: "Storage surfaces should be clean and free of grease, gasoline or other substances which can deteriorate the rubber." I think all the oils, etc in asphalt might qualify as something that might be bad for long time contact.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #19

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Bridgestone: "Storage surfaces should be clean and free of grease, gasoline or other substances which can deteriorate the rubber." I think all the oils, etc in asphalt might qualify as something that might be bad for long time contact.
I hope asphalt isn't too bad for tires. I mainly drive on asphalt.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #20

Factor in that tires are not made of rubber.