Leaving it uncovered for the winter? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2015, 08:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Leaving it uncovered for the winter?

Getting ready to winterize my 19' for the first time. I'm storing it outside in the elements where it snows and freezes. During my orientation I was advise to line my awning strap up to the outside light, when it's closed, to prevent it from damaging the trailer while it dangles in the wind while driving down the road. So if I cover my trailer, will the cover do some damage maybe from the wind? What is the worst if I choose not to cover? Not really interest in spending anymore cash till next season.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:50 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRINGOandTICA View Post
What is the worst if I choose not to cover? Not really interest in spending anymore cash till next season.
The worst, it will get really, really grimy. When I stored my trailer outside, I had to spend one full day scrubbing the black/green/red mold off of it. If you're lucky, you won't have that issue.

And, you should really watch for any snow load or ice load.

If you can give the trailer a really good wax job before winter, that will really help.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Mine has spent its entire life outside in the open. Not sure, but I don't think Escape stores trailers under cover either.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Mine has spent its entire life outside in the open. Not sure, but I don't think Escape stores trailers under cover either.
Escape is getting out of the storing trailers for customers business. We pulled our trailer out of their yard this spring. I guess we were still in ETI data system as storing the trailer on their compound. A few weeks ago We got an email saying they are expanding their buildings and need the space. Everyone out in two months
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: GRINGOandTICA... Ours used to be stored out in the elements. We've now managed to change the elements of storage. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
OMG...No Sunny Beach!!!.jpg   P1040004.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
And to answer your ? We have ours uncovered here in the wet coast.
Next year if/when I retire I will wax the trailer to keep it shiny.

Worse we had this year was some ash from the forest fires. Ive waxed it 2x this year
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:20 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I leave BlackJack uncovered, but plugged with with a small heater. That way if there is a weather break we can get away for the weekend without too much trouble. I do remove snow if it gets too high
Old 09-29-2015, 09:22 AM   #8

Trailer: ESCAPE #3 COMING - 19 FT
We leave ours uncovered. Try to give it a wax coat each spring and fall.
ken
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
TV - NOT YET, THINKING RIDGELINE OR F150
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:28 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Where I live, the damage from a cover flapping in the wind will be greater than any protection.

I'm looking for a solar panel cover, the rest of it can fend for itself.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:10 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
I'm thinking the solar panel can take care of itself and keep my batteries up so they don't freeze.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:29 PM   #11

Trailer: ""
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
I'm thinking the solar panel can take care of itself and keep my batteries up so they don't freeze.
I was thinking the same. In fact I was anticipating removing the batteries if it was stored inside without the ability to top up batteries every month or so.
BillM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:59 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
I was thinking the same. In fact I was anticipating removing the batteries if it was stored inside without the ability to top up batteries every month or so.
Hi: BillM... Owned a 5.0 for 6 yrs and never removed the battery. Make sure its fully charged and when you pull it out top it up. The 5.0 had a cut off switch which stopped the phantom drain. The only thing that didn't survive the winter was the smoke alarm 9V battery. Here's a pic of the storage facility. Alf
Attached Thumbnails
Lonely- I'm so lonely.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:13 PM   #13

Trailer: ""
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: BillM... Owned a 5.0 for 6 yrs and never removed the battery. Make sure its fully charged and when you pull it out top it up. The 5.0 had a cut off switch which stopped the phantom drain. The only thing that didn't survive the winter was the smoke alarm 9V battery. Here's a pic of the storage facility. Alf
Nice storage. We just downsized and I don't have a covered storage option anymore unless I rent one.

I always put my batteries in the basement and hooked them to a decent charger every month or so. Part of my reason was to have some backup power (via an inverter) in the event of a power failure. We were in one of the harder hit areas of the 1998 Ice Storm so I am a bit paranoid. Not a fan of generators but a couple of good batteries and some solar go a long way.
BillM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:23 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
I Just Don't Get It.

I just don’t get it. Why wouldn’t you want to protect your investment? For a new trailer you’re spending what, $25,000 plus. Some a whole lot more. It’s not like you can just go down to the dollar store and get another one. They look better, smell better, last longer, need less maintenance, and resell for a better price. If you don’t have room for a shelter of some kind you can get covers with soft lining so abrasion to the finish is not a problem. Throw in some of those crystals for drying the air or a small electric heater set on low, and you’ll thank yourself come the next time you want to use it.
When we had our 15B we stored it in a portable shelter from Canadian Tire and the people who bought it were quite impressed and prepared to pay extra for a two year old trailer that looked like it had just came out of the factory. For our 17B I decided to build a shed big enough to house it, and, my ever growing collection of stuff that I just can’t live with out.
sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:28 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I think everyone wants to protect their investment. I certainly do. And, not everyone lives where they can put up a portable shelter or a permanent shelter or any kind of shelter. They're lucky if there's space to store the trailer at home.

Where I live, east county Portland, Oregon... I wouldn't dare put on a cover... any kind of cover that would touch the gel coat. I have sustained winds November to March. If the trailer isn't absolutely stellar clean before the cover would go on, the cover would chaff the gel coat just like sandpaper. It's a reality, there's no one size fits all.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:40 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
I agree with Donna, I have 2 very nice and expensive trailers that I store outside and uncovered for about 8 months a year through our frigid winters. I have seen more damage from covers where dirt acts like sandpaper and destroys the surface, even with it clean in the fall dirt will find its way under the cover and our relentless winds moving the cover work better than a belt sander on the finish.

In the fall I apply several coats of wax, tilt the trailers into the sun so the snow does not accumulate and wait until spring where it takes a good day to carefully clean and rewax each trailer.
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:45 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Wondering if anyone with a cover washes it?
Old 09-29-2015, 08:49 PM   #18

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Used a cover on my last trailer, 8 years old and it looked good as new when I sold it. The cover lasted about 6 years when it disintegrated, ordered a replacement for it but the vendor, ADCO, had changed the models by then and by mistake I ordered the cheap one. Used it on the Escape last winter, when I took it off all the places where the cover was in contact with the trailer looked like they had been sanded with dirt, and I had it strapped down good against the wind.

Moral... If you go with a cover, get a good one. Pad any sharp corners and strap it down good.

Me... I'm doing like Alf and taking it where there is no snow come winter. Will also look into a pole barn or one of those steel roofed storage car ports.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:54 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Well each to their own. I've owned a number of campers and trailers and seen what happens to them here on the wet coast if they're not protected from the rain. If I didn't have the room to store our Escape properly at home I'd be looking to rent some place close by. Lots of under used warehouses and barns around here were you can get a good deal on storage.
sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:59 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Gotta agree with that. I can understand those in high wind areas not wanting potential wear from abrasion. I'm not in that situation, just an occasional wind storm so I use a summer cover and a winter cover. Between bird droppings, falling leaves and general grime from the sky, not to mention the rain it just saves me so much time keeping the trailer clean.

I think that if I lived in the sunny South I'd still want a cover. I've seen too much UV degradation not to take steps to minimize it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote