Lithium Batteries - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2016, 01:24 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
I haven't asked ETI about their position on AGMs yet. I'll either just leave them with ETI to avoid disposing of them later, hopefully for a credit but probably not, or use their wet cell lead acid batteries for a few years and swap when they die. ETI doesn't use high end batteries, so it's not like it's a huge monitary waste.

There are 6 volt deep cycle golf cart AGMs (Trojan T105−AGM as one example), which is what I'm getting, eventually. If you want 2 batteries, series is probably the way to go.

Reliant T105-AGM | Trojan Battery Company
I inquired in September and was told they don't offer an AGM option. No explanation why but I assume they have to have the electric system set up and tested early in the build and they probably have a long term quantity discount with Interstate for the three batteries they offer. I will probably use the flooded batteries as long as they last and plan to replace them with AGM.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:27 PM   #42

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Very nice report, I appreciate the time you spent putting this togeter and the content is very good. It appears your summary is: Use flooded batteries unless you are full timing or have some other exceptional need. This seems to be a pretty small audience?
It's an even smaller audience than what I originally referred to. Let me revise my statement as: "full time boondockers using solar" would benefit from lithium ion batteries. If you're full timing with hookups, you have the same problem of the batteries being charged to 100% consistently.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:19 PM   #43

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
I will probably use the flooded batteries as long as they last and plan to replace them with AGM.
That makes sense to me. Remember that you can get the battery box sized to fit dual batteries (for your later setup, if desired) even if you get only a single battery from the factory.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:49 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That makes sense to me. Remember that you can get the battery box sized to fit dual batteries (for your later setup, if desired) even if you get only a single battery from the factory.
I'm planning on getting the dual 6v option and solar. I wonder if I can get a taller box which will fit two larger sized Trojan AGM 6v batteries sometime in the future.

Not sure of the height of the space in the 5.0 TA with the U shape dinette option. Also, the 2017 model will have the step up in the dinette and I assume that is related to the frame so the height of the storage spaces may be less than the current model.
The battery cables would also need to be a few inches longer.
Just wondering at this point as I still have many months before the build sheet is needed.

I just "got" your reasoning. One could just go with the standard battery, pay more for the box with dual 6v and add two 6v AGM batteries soon after pickup. Has anyone done that with ETI? I see that the dual 6v isn't "required" with the solar set up.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:19 PM   #45

Quote:
I'm planning on getting the dual 6v option and solar. I wonder if I can get a taller box which will fit two larger sized Trojan AGM 6v batteries sometime in the future.

Not sure of the height of the space in the 5.0 TA with the U shape dinette option. Also, the 2017 model will have the step up in the dinette and I assume that is related to the frame so the height of the storage spaces may be less than the current model.
I think, based on previous discussions, that the height of the battery box is limited by the height of the space available under the dinette seat. Even with the GC2-sized 6-volt batteries offered by Escape, height has been problematic since the fuse holder mounted directly at the positive battery terminal can't be mounted in the conventional orientation and still fit.

Although the step up in the floor is new, the step was always there in the frame (of every Escape model) and so the floor under the seats has always been three inches higher than the main floor level. In the 21' and 5.0TA before the new-this-year design, the floor in the dinette footspace (and only that part) was down at the main floor level, by being dropped down between the rear section of the frame rails.

With the step up in the dinette footspace of the new design, are the dinette seats (of the 21' and presumably the coming 5.0TA) taller than before? This would help available height for the battery case.

Quote:
I just "got" your reasoning. One could just go with the standard battery, pay more for the box with dual 6v and add two 6v AGM batteries soon after pickup. Has anyone done that with ETI? I see that the dual 6v isn't "required" with the solar set up.
Not me, but I was only aware of this unlisted option because someone else did it. It is true that there is no "bundling" of the battery and solar options - they are independent.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:12 PM   #46

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I think, based on previous discussions, that the height of the battery box is limited by the height of the space available under the dinette seat.
This is indeed the case, at least on my 2014 5.0TA. Might be able to find a box with a different locking down method (mine is a 1x2 across the top of the box), and gain an inch.

I thought it was possible to NOT get batteries at all. Those wishing to go dual AGM could just get the larger dual battery box and wiring. Obviously you'd have to bring your own AGM's if picking up your trailer.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:21 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
This is indeed the case, at least on my 2014 5.0TA. Might be able to find a box with a different locking down method (mine is a 1x2 across the top of the box), and gain an inch.
Thanks for the confirmation and additional detail, Bob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I thought it was possible to NOT get batteries at all. Those wishing to go dual AGM could just get the larger dual battery box and wiring. Obviously you'd have to bring your own AGM's if picking up your trailer.
Possibly, but the factory would need to temporarily install some sort of battery to test electrical systems, and take it out again. They also couldn't let the trailer leave the factory without a battery, because it would then not have a working breakaway system for the electric brakes, but bringing your own would fix that.

I wonder if Escape would install customer-supplied AGM (or lithium) batteries, since they are (understandably) not willing to sell this specialty item and take responsibility for it?
Old 05-19-2017, 12:40 PM   #48

Trailer: 17
Wow, super nice setup thanks for sharing your info.
Former rv'ers with good info for anyone else here. Lith VS AGM
https://youtu.be/J-kND4PaZm8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhardie View Post
On my system I have a Magnum 2000w converter so when plugged into shore power then the inverter converts it to 12v for storage in the Lithium batteries. On the other hand the inverter also converts 12v to 120v for my plugs etc. The original AC Converter is wired into the system but the Magnum takes care of any converting.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote