Long term small engine storage - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2019, 06:23 PM   #1

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Long term small engine storage

Looking for the BEST way to store small gas engines for months or even years.

I very rarely use my Honda Generator, I've been running it dry and putting it away. It's been at least a couple years.

Other items, like the snow blower in all likelihood could go anywhere from 8 months to years, depending on when one heads south for the winter. Mine has a gas shutoff, I add stabilizer, shut off the gas and run it dry.

In general, I run things dry for the off season when practical, the tractor I add stabilizer and fill to the top, no shutoff.

Sta-bil says it "keeps fuel fresh for - up to 24 months".

What do you folks do? I seem to be all over the place.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Lawnmower and snow blower I run dry and change the oil. Honda Generator I run dry and then drain the gas line as I have read horror stories about carb issues due to it not fully running dry. I try to make a note to exercise the generator but its been sitting since last summer/fall so obviously I failed big time on that one. Hopefully this week I will get it up and running.

For small engines I always run ethanol free gas, which means premium since that is the option at KwikTrip if you don't want ethanol. I also keep stable in my small engine gas can even in the summer when I know I will refill in a month or two.

I bought a can of fogger once but shooting it into the carb requires the engine running and I don't stand there as it runs dry. I will sometimes shoot some into the cylinder but I don't think I will replace this can when it's gone.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My Honda genset has had premium fuel with Stabil, but even that didn't prevent getting gas with water in it that messed up the carb.
It currently has a clean carb and a tank full of Aspen gas.
Friend of mine who used to own a Stihl dealership and small engine repair shop did the restoration and recommended Aspen. It is not cheap gas.
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/108837/aspen-fuel
Attached Thumbnails
Carb Honda.jpg  
Old 04-15-2019, 11:13 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
I fought with my 8 hp Yamaha outboard for 4 years over the storage issue. Nothing, not stabil, not running it "dry" avoided carb problems. On each of the initial years I owned the engine, it would start flawlessly after winter storage, and then at some point, it would lose power completely or almost so, and when I pulled the carb, one or more jets were fouled with solidified gasoline residue. I have a Honda snowblower that has never has a hint of problem, and all I have ever done with it is put it away with a full gas tank to limit exposure of the fuel to air.

For what it is worth, I finally cured the problem with the outboard by storing it with the fuel line and carb full of paint thinner rather than fuel. In the fall, I flush the system with thinner, in the spring I flush it again with fresh fuel. Not a hint of a problem since. In fact, I can easily convince myself that it now runs better than it did new. If anyone has persistent storage problems in spite of trying the standard cures, I recommend trying the thinner solution.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:33 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Another option perhaps, for the Honda gennie at least: convert it to run on propane.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:36 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16, TV Rav4 V6
For my chain saw i use the 50-1 canned gas. I no longer mix my own and store it for how long, who knows. I buy two cans, when one goes empty i buy another. I do not burn wood anymore so i only use the chain saw for cutting up falling tree limbs and trimmings. So a can of premix lasts for a long time. Carl
civi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
The Honda 2000 has a problem with jets getting gunked up. I believe the owners manual suggests draining the tank and running it dry for long term storage. I do that but I use fuel stabilizer in the fuel first, then use the choke to keep it running to the end.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:38 PM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
That's pretty much what I do, most of the gas I buy gets stabilizer as I never know how long the gas will be in the unit.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I have two Honda 2000s. My solution has been to keep fresh hi octane non-ethanol fuel in both and running them at least once a month.
Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:25 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
We had a tri fuel Yamaha 2000 generator that worked like a charm after 6 months of storage without any special treatment. Wouldn't run the AC though. I run my chain saw dry and add a few drops of oil into the cylinder, and dump the leftover gas into my truck after using the saw for the fall trail maintence season. Starts right up 9 months later with fresh gas.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:40 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
For many many years I would run my lawnmower in the summer and then park it through the fall, winter, and into the spring, usually with a partial tank of gas. Not once did I ever have any issues with the mower running poorly or failing to start due to the old gas in the tank. Maybe was just luck. These days I use a lithium battery powered mower instead, and still have no issues with it starting in the spring, however, I do store the battery inside during the winter months!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote