LT trailer tires - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2019, 10:46 PM   #41

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Right - the Tire and Rim Association (TRA) added the P, ST, and LT categories in something like the late 1970's or later. The corresponding standards organization in Europe (ETRTO) doesn't have these categories. Also, both LT and commercial tires are perfectly suitable for trailer use (by design), and there are even some tires sold specifically for trailer use (such as the Goodyear Unisteel G614 RST) which are rated and specified by the manufacturer using these standards rather than ST.
Where do the SL (standard load) and XL (extra load) ratings fall in the TRA ratings?
Old 05-27-2019, 02:01 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... Stop looking to far a field for ST tires. Buy a set of Goodyear Endurance trailer tires. IMHO they're the best bar none!!! Just finished my first tow with them and WOW. Brass stems 65 psi max and 87 mph speed rate. 205 75R 15's... No way NO SWAY. Cost $47. more than China BOMBS and worth every penny of it!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:21 PM   #43

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: All... Stop looking to far a field for ST tires. Buy a set of Goodyear Endurance trailer tires. IMHO they're the best bar none!!! Just finished my first tow with them and WOW. Brass stems 65 psi max and 87 mph speed rate. 205 75R 15's... No way NO SWAY. Cost $47. more than China BOMBS and worth every penny of it!!! Alf
I agree with you Alf, I was very happy with the Endurance on our 5.0 and plan to get Endurance this fall for the TA. Three of the Carlisles are dated 2013, that's on a September 2016 made Escape. A bit disappointed when I saw that.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:46 PM   #44

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
Another thing I wonder about with getting a tire because it’s ‘snow rated’.

Tractor trailers I see chaining up to pull the mountains, only chain the drive tires and not the tires on the trailer.

What advantage would snow tires(chains) be on an Escape that is not seen on a tractor trailer?
Braking, turning, and just keeping it in a straight line. Obviously no one would want swivelling casters as wheels on their trailer, because it would swing around out of control; a tire without traction is the same thing.

Those trucks are very short on drive traction, because so little of the whole rig's weight is on the drive wheels... and that's why the drive tires are where more traction is most needed. Trailer tire traction is still important, in all cases, for control.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:51 PM   #45

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
Where do the SL (standard load) and XL (extra load) ratings fall in the TRA ratings?
There are Standard Load and Extra Load versions of "P" tires (and tires to the European ETRTO standards), which are just like the Load Ranges more typically used for ST, LT, and commercial tires. SL is roughly equivalent to Load Range B, and XL is roughly equivalent to Load Range C.

For a tire of about the size used by Escape to have suitable load capacity for the axle capacity rating of recent Escape axles, they likely need to be XL or Load Range C.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 04:11 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
I agree with you Alf, I was very happy with the Endurance on our 5.0 and plan to get Endurance this fall for the TA. Three of the Carlisles are dated 2013, that's on a September 2016 made Escape. A bit disappointed when I saw that.
Hi: emers 382... I put Goodyear Marathons on the 5.0 with the chrome wheels. They are now made in China. The Endurance Load range "D" by Goodyear OTOH is made in either the Alabama or North Carolina Goodyear plant.
I stopped in for a retorque on the trailer tires today and gave them my towing saga... All 100% Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:28 PM   #47

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Tars

Hi Alf
I’m on an endurance run with the Endurance tires I put on the 21 when we got it it in 2017. They've been to been to British Columbia twice, Niagara Falls, and a whole lotta places in Kentucky, Tennessee oh and Colorado. I’ve coined a new term for flawless towing performance the Escape 21 with the Endurance tires gives me No Sammy Kaye.. dig deep whippersnappers and you’ll understand. But don’t stop too long for a cup of cofffee this old man and his child bride of 49 years will be along directly. Pasco Washington tonight.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
FECDC408-7B57-4B90-A854-A14183298C0B.jpg