Modifying Trailer Cover - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2019, 08:33 AM   #1

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Modifying Trailer Cover

We purchased a cover for our 21. I am storing the trailer at a gated self storage facility. Once I winterize I'd like to keep the batteries charged up. No shore power. I was thinking about cutting out a section of the cover located directly above the solar panel. Thoughts?
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We store ours under cover similar to your situation. We have a light cover on it (not Tyvek) and find that the solar panels keep charged through the cover. We live in California though where we get lots of sunshine. Not sure where you live or what kind of cover you have.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:33 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 19'
We store ours under cover sometimes (if we don't use it for more than 3 months) and I noticed the solar panel is still charging even under cover.. no idea how much power it's getting but the panel gets about 1-2 hours of light a day and that seemed to be enough.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:47 AM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Unless you finish the edges I'd think it'd be more prone to tearing in the cut corners. If I were to try it I'd reinforce and bind the edges, not that I have any idea how to do such.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Unless you finish the edges I'd think it'd be more prone to tearing in the cut corners. If I were to try it I'd reinforce and bind the edges, not that I have any idea how to do such.
Good point. I'm looking at the possibility of ^somehow^ sowing in a clear vinyl piece that would go over the solar panel. I'm not confident that the particular cover I allow enough photons to reach the solar panel.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:15 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I see a great business opportunity, a trailer cover with clear vinyl inserts for solar panels.....
Old 10-10-2019, 05:55 PM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Could also go the solar battery maintainer route, don't know about theft though.

http://products.batterytender.com/So...ontroller.html
Old 10-10-2019, 06:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I see a great business opportunity, a trailer cover with clear vinyl inserts for solar panels.....
How many beers did you down at the Suburban Bowlarama today?
Old 10-10-2019, 06:47 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 21 2018 "Gypsy Cat"
We currently use the Classic Accessories cover sold by ETI for our E21 and the batteries stay topped off over winter in WI at 43 degrees N latitude, with light transmitted to the panels through the white fabric cover.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2359.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	42546
MadCAT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:15 PM   #10
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
We purchased a cover for our 21. I am storing the trailer at a gated self storage facility. Once I winterize I'd like to keep the batteries charged up. No shore power. I was thinking about cutting out a section of the cover located directly above the solar panel. Thoughts?
Since you've already purchased your cover, before cutting a hole and stitching a clear section to it, I think I would try and see if I could get any charge to the battery as is, first. Our cover is not so thick so our batteries stay fully charged from the solar panel even with the cover on top of it. If the batteries don't charge, then cutting and sewing a clear panel sounds like an interesting project. Please share this if you do!

Another idea is to see if you can charge up something you have around the house that has solar panel on it, like a solar charged camping lantern. If you set a lantern like that (with a low battery) under a section of your cover out in the sun for a day or more, perhaps you can see if it charges up or not? Just a thought....good luck! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Since you've already purchased your cover, before cutting a hole and stitching a clear section to it, I think I would try and see if I could get any charge to the battery as is, first. Our cover is not so thick so our batteries stay fully charged from the solar panel even with the cover on top of it. If the batteries don't charge, then cutting and sewing a clear panel sounds like an interesting project. Please share this if you do!

Another idea is to see if you can charge up something you have around the house that has solar panel on it, like a solar charged camping lantern. If you set a lantern like that (with a low battery) under a section of your cover out in the sun for a day or more, perhaps you can see if it charges up or not? Just a thought....good luck! -Bea
Thanks Bea for your suggestions. The cover is still in the unopened box. I'm going to assume my cover is the same as yours. I'll see if the batteries stay charged with the cover on. Of course there is always the issue of how much trouble is involved in removing the cover in order to enter the trailer.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:13 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think you may be able to loosen the side and squeeze inside without the removal, at least that is what I did in the past with trailer covers. It may even have a zipper panel already fo the door.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I think you may be able to loosen the side and squeeze inside without the removal, at least that is what I did in the past with trailer covers. It may even have a zipper panel already fo the door.
Wouldn't that be great if there was a zippered panel. You said that I'd need an 8' ladder?
Old 10-11-2019, 08:58 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I have put a cover over my parked 19' every winter since it was purchased in 2013 and the batteries have always been fully charged from the rooftop solar panel when I uncover the trailer in the spring (usually covered from about mid-October to end of March).

Of course, the Calmark cover on our 15B is so heavy and thick that the solar panels do not charge the batteries at all while it is covered up for the winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Beaumont-20131130-00073.jpg  

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:20 AM   #15

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Why don’t you just unhook the battery(s) Bring them home and put them on a trickle charge.
Probably only be a 15 minute job.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:26 AM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Why don’t you just unhook the battery(s) Bring them home and put them on a trickle charge.
Have you tried to lift a 6volt out of the battery box? Let alone two?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:59 AM   #17
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
Thanks Bea for your suggestions. The cover is still in the unopened box. I'm going to assume my cover is the same as yours. I'll see if the batteries stay charged with the cover on. Of course there is always the issue of how much trouble is involved in removing the cover in order to enter the trailer.
This is our cover: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It came with several zippered panels so entering the trailer is easy, just unzip by the door and slide in. We do it all the time. If yours has zippered panels, you are good...but even if not, like Jim mentioned, hopefully you can loosen some straps and wiggle in. Most covers are made for 8' wide trailers so with our 7'4" trailers, seems feasible. We need a ladder to put the cover on and it takes the two of us but I can take it off by myself, no problem.

Leaving the batteries at home on a trickle charge is also an option but as Donna points out, they are heavy suckers. If you do, the nurse in me says, remember to bend those knees and save your back!
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not interested in that option. The batteries look to be a PITA to pull on the access door. I'm receiving encouraging feedback that the cover will detrimentally impede the inflow of photons.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:01 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape 19 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
I have put a cover over my parked 19' every winter since it was purchased in 2013 and the batteries have always been fully charged from the rooftop solar panel when I uncover the trailer in the spring (usually covered from about mid-October to end of March).

Of course, the Calmark cover on our 15B is so heavy and thick that the solar panels do not charge the batteries at all while it is covered up for the winter.
Hey Dave, just searching for posts on covers and saw yours and the pic. We pick up our 19 soon and I'm looking at covers. The CalMark cover for our soon to be gone Casita finally fell apart (the original from 06! I think!) and I bought a cheapie Classic Accessories on Amazon to keep it clean till I can sell it. I see you have a CalMark and a different one for the 19? Which brand is the other one? thx

Larry
LarryLSB is offline   Reply With Quote