Necessity to drain fresh water - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2018, 07:34 AM   #41

I'd also add that putting at least a particulate filter ahead of your pressure regulator is a good idea. It will keep the regulator from getting ruined/fouled by sand or other debris that might show up in the campground water.

We sometimes bring along our berkey water filter too, it makes great drinking water.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:27 AM   #42

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
I'd also add that putting at least a particulate filter ahead of your pressure regulator is a good idea. It will keep the regulator from getting ruined/fouled by sand or other debris that might show up in the campground water.

We sometimes bring along our berkey water filter too, it makes great drinking water.
Be careful with the blue camco filter if you do this. We had one split open at a campground.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:29 AM   #43

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
Here are my recommendations:
Sanitize water system in camper using the directions in the owner's manual at the beginning of the season or anytime the camper sits for more than a month.

If using water from a source you can trust, drink from the tap.

If the campground is on it's own water and general campground maintenance is lacking, water pressure is low (less than 20psi) or pressure varies wildly. I would not trust this source of water. Fill some jugs from your tank and put in the fridge for drinking and cooking.

If using water you are not sure about or your camper is going to sit for a week or two...add a small amount(1/8 - 1/2 teaspoon) of household bleach(no scents, additives or thickeners) and fill the tank. Drink from the tap.

Bottled water is expensive and unnecessary. Fill your tank from a good municipal source and drink from the tap, think of it as a big bottle! Most bottled water is municipal water anyway.

Filters If you are worried about taste or chemicals use a filter. If you are worried about bacteria(the most likely and worrisome) 98% of the filters will do nothing. You need reverse osmosis to take care of the little bugs. Use chlorine.
Excellent response, Ian. Pretty much what I do. I only use bottled water if what I determine is likely safe doesn’t taste good (to me). In line with what you said, bottled water from Zephyrhills, a well known Florida bottler comes directly from the city’s water mains, is run through charcoal filtration, and goes directly into plastic bottles. I once observed someone filling jugs at $1 spice from a reverse osmosis machine outside a supermarket in Venice, Florida. The water supply production plant is a big RO facility! For some reason, John Q. Citizen seems to think if it comes from a bottle rather than a tap, it is superior.

As an aside, I would also mention that almost every public supply water distribution system follows the recommendations found in the American Water Works Association’s (based in Denver, Colorado) various technical manuals. These manuals are pretty much the “Bible” for water professionals.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:03 AM   #44

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Bottled water

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Excellent response, Ian. Pretty much what I do. I only use bottled water if what I determine is likely safe doesn’t taste good (to me). In line with what you said, bottled water from Zephyrhills, a well known Florida bottler comes directly from the city’s water mains, is run through charcoal filtration, and goes directly into plastic bottles. I once observed someone filling jugs at $1 spice from a reverse osmosis machine outside a supermarket in Venice, Florida. The water supply production plant is a big RO facility! For some reason, John Q. Citizen seems to think if it comes from a bottle rather than a tap, it is superior.

As an aside, I would also mention that almost every public supply water distribution system follows the recommendations found in the American Water Works Association’s (based in Denver, Colorado) various technical manuals. These manuals are pretty much the “Bible” for water professionals.
I had a Commissioner who would go on park inspections with me to review projects and point out things he wanted done. We would stop at a convenience store where he would buy a coffee. He’d always say, “get whatever you want to drink and I’ll buy, as long as it isn’t that %#€~£<#*#€| bottled water.” I’d get an orange juice whether I wanted one or not. His wife and him are daylilly producers now. Kramer’s Flower Farm. Is their website.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-22-2018, 10:07 AM   #45

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
The Escape Trailer Owners Manual provides good directions. 1/4 cup of a scent free/fabric guard free bleach for every 15 gallon water tank and let stand for 4 hrs. Our 19 needs 1/2 cup = 120 mL and once the tank is full of the bleach solution we run it into the water lines and exterior shower and let stand for at least 4 hrs.

RV filters only impact taste and smell of water and are not adequate to remove bacteria, viruses or protozoa. I don't bother using filters and think disinfecting the water system twice a year is adequate unless you have concerns that your system was contaminated during use.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:01 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharper View Post
The Escape Trailer Owners Manual provides good directions. 1/4 cup of a scent free/fabric guard free bleach for every 15 gallon water tank and let stand for 4 hrs. Our 19 needs 1/2 cup = 120 mL and once the tank is full of the bleach solution we run it into the water lines and exterior shower and let stand for at least 4 hrs.

RV filters only impact taste and smell of water and are not adequate to remove bacteria, viruses or protozoa. I don't bother using filters and think disinfecting the water system twice a year is adequate unless you have concerns that your system was contaminated during use.
RV filters (the blue Camco) are typically charcoal filters and will for the most part eliminate chlorine taste in the water. However, they DO keep particulate matter out of the trailer’s plumbing. For that reason alone, I do go through the BOTHER of using them. Grit is not beneficial for faucet seals and toilet valves.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:31 PM   #47

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:

Thank you! I agree w/the sediment filter...it will keep your faucets and valves much cleaner and working...just make sure to change it regularly.

You are right about the AWWA standards but I am ashamed to admit (from my direct experience)that many small public water systems (think Convenience Stores, campgrounds and small communities) are not very well regulated(at least here in New England), they do not know the proper standards and are often running by the seat of their pants. Many are doing a great job but some are doing a really crappy job, unfortunately the regulators are so overworked they do not have the time or manpower to bring these systems in compliance. I have built a small one man business helping out these systems and getting them in compliance. Thus my healthy bit of skepticism. So if the campground facilities look crappy if they are on their own water system expect the water system to be crappy too and drink from the water you brought from home. Cheers!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:47 PM   #48

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Right on Ian. In the mountains where we like to fish there are often community or campsite water sources that I prefer not to use, because I'm not sure where it comes from and how well it is monitored. When going there I fill my trailer's water tank at home and haul it all the way up the steep Coquihalla highway and beyond OR I stop in a major town where I trust they are doing their job.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:10 PM   #49

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
It's the months long trips where it gets complicated.

After 12 years I bought my 1st filter when I encountered yellow water in TX.

I fill the tank when I get to a CG that I believe to have good water, based solely on taste and clarity. Some times the water stays in the tank unused on a trip for multiple weeks. Usually what's in the tank is a mix of many supplies. Hence the need for an overall strategy. Thanks for the help Ian.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:39 PM   #50

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
In line with what you said, bottled water from Zephyrhills, a well known Florida bottler comes directly from the city’s water mains, is run through charcoal filtration, and goes directly into plastic bottles.
Interesting. I looked up this company just for kicks. They do have spring water from select locations and also sell “drinking water” and distilled water that they state comes from wells or a municipal water system. They are very upfront with it all on their website and water quality report. I wonder how obvious they make it on their labels though? Would be sad if people were buying their “drinking water” and wasting the energy and plastic when it is the same (or nearly the same) as what is delivered right to their home and comes out of the faucet.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:48 PM   #51

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Recent CBC story:

Microplastics found in 93% of bottled water tested in global study - Technology & Science - CBC News
Old 03-23-2018, 06:34 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Interesting. I looked up this company just for kicks. They do have spring water from select locations and also sell “drinking water” and distilled water that they state comes from wells or a municipal water system. They are very upfront with it all on their website and water quality report. I wonder how obvious they make it on their labels though? Would be sad if people were buying their “drinking water” and wasting the energy and plastic when it is the same (or nearly the same) as what is delivered right to their home and comes out of the faucet.
Crystal Springs is also one of their labels. It is not bottled municipal water. But Zephyrhills is their biggest selling and best known product.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:51 PM   #53

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
We use a berkey travel water system, and drink out of that. The water straight out of the tank is used for dishes, shower, toilet etc.
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:24 PM   #54

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenk View Post
We use a berkey travel water system, and drink out of that. The water straight out of the tank is used for dishes, shower, toilet etc.
Just looked up your water system . Pretty cool . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:12 AM   #55

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Just looked up your water system . Pretty cool . Pat
It is. It's a little pricey to buy in, but we never take bottled water so that kind of saves some money over the long run. Not sure if I break even, but I like knowing my water is clean. it gets rid of the funky taste in any water.
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:21 AM   #56

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
It is. It's a little pricey to buy in, but we never take bottled water so that kind of saves some money over the long run. Not sure if I break even, but I like knowing my water is clean. it gets rid of the funky taste in any water.
Definetly going to bookmark . In 1994 we did install a water distiller . We have a stainless 10 gal storage tank and a facet in kitchen . Would you believe piped in with a Shurflo pump .It is something . But like everything else technology gets better in time . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:02 AM   #57

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Is the Berkey large? Where do you put it?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:20 AM   #58

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We park a 5 gal water container (tap water from home) near the entrance unless we have someone else in the trailer. In that case we leave it outside. We fill a 1 gal jug (in fridge) and our kettle from this.

Bob K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:33 AM   #59

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Wow your filter ACTUALLY makes safe drinking water. How much does it make and how fast?
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:28 AM   #60

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
We park a 5 gal water container (tap water from home) near the entrance unless we have someone else in the trailer. In that case we leave it outside. We fill a 1 gal jug (in fridge) and our kettle from this.
This is what we do too. I actually bring two 5 gal containers along. These jugs are great for filling the fresh water when needed, and for $1 we fill them at water filter stations. These jugs have a permanent spot in the bed of the truck, though one might sit outside somewhere for use there. We too just transfer to a smaller jug with spigot for use inside, and store that under our stairs when not needed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote