Necessity to drain fresh water - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2019, 11:37 AM   #81

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Looked at the Berkey Traveler and Propur as well. Read all the reviews I could find and just ordered the Propur Traveler for $189 on Amazon.
maiki724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:13 PM   #82

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Thanks for the reminder. We brought the Errant Escape from the prior owner home, with 3 nights along the way. Did not have any problems, but unknown how long the water tank has gone without sanitizing. Now full of high bleach water, will drain and add low bleach water for use. Even remembered to run the high bleach water through the hot and cold taps!

btw: Our son-in-law is city engineer at a large city in TX. Swears the water is absolutely safe, but it tastes terrible. Everyone uses filtered water from the fridge for all consumption.
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:29 PM   #83

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
Thanks for the reminder. We brought the Errant Escape from the prior owner home, with 3 nights along the way. Did not have any problems, but unknown how long the water tank has gone without sanitizing. Now full of high bleach water, will drain and add low bleach water for use. Even remembered to run the high bleach water through the hot and cold taps!
And the WH right?
Old 09-01-2019, 12:31 PM   #84

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Figured the hot side tap would take care of that. No?
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:20 PM   #85

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
Figured the hot side tap would take care of that. No?

As long as you ran six gallons of bleach water through it.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:36 PM   #86

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
We've found a different location for the travel Berkey, have found the width to be just right to put inside the cabinet down below the oven/stove. The filters go in the box they came in, we dry them out after a trip. Until next year, when we quit our jobs and begin to full time in our 5.0 in the spring. . Then we will never let them dry, just like our large home system now.
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:26 AM   #87

Trailer: Airstream Nest
We never stored water for too long in our rv. I feel like algae would form if I do that. What we do is drain the water when we are home and use that to water our plants. But I feel like 1 month is too long to store water.
towme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:41 AM   #88

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by towme View Post
I feel like 1 month is too long to store water.

On the west coast we await the 'big one'. An earthquake will disrupt the water system, so I keep seven 20-litre containers full of water out in the carport. I replace the water every six months or so, adding a cap full of chlorine to each container to prevent algae etc.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:41 AM   #89

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
On the west coast we await the 'big one'. An earthquake will disrupt the water system, so I keep seven 20-litre containers full of water out in the carport. I replace the water every six months or so, adding a cap full of chlorine to each container to prevent algae etc.
Glenn we also think and store water the same way . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:13 AM   #90

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
No wonder you guys drink, under all that stress.....
Old 09-10-2019, 11:34 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
No wonder you guys drink, under all that stress.....
I drink very little . You have no idea what it is like to live through earthquakes . Our home was trashed in 1994 , foundation damage etc. we lived in our driveway for about 7 mo in our RV. Glad we had water stored . Since we were campers that made it a lot easier to make due with little until home was made livable again. You can do without a lot of things except water . Pat
Old 09-10-2019, 11:51 AM   #92

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I drink very little . You have no idea what it is like to live through earthquakes . Our home was trashed in 1994 , foundation damage etc. we lived in our driveway for about 7 mo in our RV. Glad we had water stored . Since we were campers that made it a lot easier to make due with little until home was made livable again. You can do without a lot of things except water . Pat
We have planned for earthquakes and wildfires. We plan to use our trailer as our shelter. As a result, we keep the fresh water tank filled at all times in addition to some large containers in our earthquake box. I empty and refill before every trip to keep it fresh.

For those who say why do you live here, just live here for a while and you know why. Every part of the country has its type of natural disaster.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:46 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
We have planned for earthquakes and wildfires. We plan to use our trailer as our shelter. As a result, we keep the fresh water tank filled at all times in addition to some large containers in our earthquake box. I empty and refill before every trip to keep it fresh.

For those who say why do you live here, just live here for a while and you know why. Every part of the country has its type of natural disaster.
Pat and Linda
Old 09-10-2019, 01:24 PM   #94
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
For those of us in earthquake county, just a quick reminder that your home hot water heater tank (normally 40-50+ gallons) is also a good source of water for your family during an emergency....as long as it is still upright and you can still access it after a quake. Twice a year, (when we change the clocks forwards and backwards) we connect a hose to our home hot water tank at the spigot and drain some of the water out to flush out any sediment build up on the bottom. This not only helps to prolong the life of the unit but also helps keep the water as clear as possible for emergency use - a very nice tip from our plumber!

We also store water in our trailer for emergency use and use bleach routinely to keep every thing clean. -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:38 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
For those of us in earthquake county, just a quick reminder that your home hot water heater tank (normally 40-50+ gallons) is also a good source of water for your family during an emergency....as long as it is still upright and you can still access it after a quake. Twice a year, (when we change the clocks forwards and backwards) we connect a hose to our home hot water tank at the spigot and drain some of the water out to flush out any sediment build up on the bottom. This not only helps to prolong the life of the unit but also helps keep the water as clear as possible for emergency use - a very nice tip from our plumber!

We also store water in our trailer for emergency use and use bleach routinely to keep every thing clean. -Bea
Yes Bea great advice ! Our water looked like Bigfoot stumped on it . We were literally being slammed up and down . The water heater was toast . So luckily for us water in the RV and storage containers . Pat
Old 10-01-2019, 12:51 PM   #96

Trailer: 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post
I'm sure you'll find other answers, but for us, we flush our water out before we are on our last leg home or know we will have fresh water at the next stop; it also helps reduce travel weight. Our practice is to never store the trailer with water in its tank if it stands more than a week--we live in a hot summer climate and are concerned about water freshness. Two days before we leave for a trip we sanitize the system

Phil
We also do so
Isabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:39 PM   #97
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I open the fresh tank valve while beginning to break camp. By the time I'm done at the dump station most or all of the water has drained; then I just drive home with the valve open while bouncing down the highway and the last little bit goes away. Close when I get home

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:46 PM   #98

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I open the fresh tank valve while beginning to break camp. By the time I'm done at the dump station most or all of the water has drained; then I just drive home with the valve open while bouncing down the highway and the last little bit goes away. Close when I get home

We do that when I remember to open the valve.

FYI: By the way, at least in CA, clear water (and poultry feathers blown off of live poultry on board) are the only things legally expelled from vehicles. The CA Source Control enforcement people can cite you (big fine) if it's any thing else.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:28 PM   #99

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
Ah, this is the thread that convinced me to buy the Travel Berkey! I absolutely love it and run water through it every day at home. I used it for the first time on my trip to Montana and was glad I did since one of the campgrounds had water that smelled funky.

In my 17B it occupies an area on top of the wardrobe since kitchen counter space is minimal. While underway, I leave the filters attached and put a large ziplock bag over them, invert the top and slide it into the bottom. I purchased the travel bag for it and it all fits in the bag even with the spigot attached.

Before buying it I would bring extra water from home for drinking and cooking as I'm not very good about remembering to bleach the tank. I do empty after each trip and travel monthly. I carry two empty 7-gallon jugs that I fill at a neighbor's house to refill my fresh water tank while at my property. With unlimited water and the outdoor shower and I can take as many showers as I want.

The only weird thing about the Berkey system - my dogs don't like the water! And they will drink some really awful cloudy water out of small, stagnant puddles sometimes.

Missouri is also earthquake country and I'm pretty close to the New Madrid fault at my Ozarks land. But in KC, I have about 20,000 gallons of clean, chlorinated water in my backyard.
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:01 AM   #100

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindy View Post
Ah, this is the thread that convinced me to buy the Travel Berkey! I absolutely love it and run water through it every day at home. I used it for the first time on my trip to Montana and was glad I did since one of the campgrounds had water that smelled funky.

In my 17B it occupies an area on top of the wardrobe since kitchen counter space is minimal. While underway, I leave the filters attached and put a large ziplock bag over them, invert the top and slide it into the bottom. I purchased the travel bag for it and it all fits in the bag even with the spigot attached.
Excellent plan! I gave my Big Berkey to my sister when I sold my house in June and have enjoyed my daughter's Berkey ever since. My new Travel Berkey will undergo its initiation immediately after my 17B is delivered to me in Sumas October 17th. With so much else to consider, I'm so glad not to have to worry about the quality of my drinking water!

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote