New full timer looking for resources. - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2019, 05:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
New full timer looking for resources.

Hi guys Iím now full timing in my 2014 5.0 TA. Iím trying to get a plan of attack as far as preventative maintenance goes and would love some help prioritizing my list / generally need some wisdom. Heading to New England for next 3 months and then the high desert after that. Hereís what Iíve identified as things to put on the to do list:

1. Wash and wax
2. Reseal all seals - would love some advice on this would like to move from back to front doing a few at a time. Trailer is now almost 5 yrs old and some seals are looking like they are getting tired.
3. Rust mitigation - again would like some tips / wisdom here- trailer spent a couple years in the north east some rust underneath how do those who live up north deal with this over time? Also I have spray foam underneath.
4. Bearing greasing and maintenance - hopefully get this done before next big trip (end of April)
What should I add to this list?

trvlrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:00 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
It sounds like you have a pretty good plan. I have not tried this yet but it is on my short list. ďPOR-15 for touching up frame paint. For touch up it is not necessary to go through all the steps, just remove most surface rust.Ē I am quoting another member of this forum.

fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:15 PM   #3

Thanks will look into that paint
Old 03-12-2019, 07:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlrn View Post
4. Bearing greasing and maintenance - hopefully get this done before next big trip (end of April)
Good - as long as you understand that this means disassembling the hub and bearings (not just pumping grease into an EZ-Lube fitting), so that the brakes and the bearings themselves can be inspected, then when it is re-assembled the bearings are installed and adjusted properly. If it's not done properly, there's no point in doing anything other than checking for excessive bearing play (which just means jacking the trailer to raise each wheel off the ground and pushing and pulling sideways on the top and bottom of the tire to see if it rocks too much).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:24 PM   #5

Trailer: TBD
If you still have the original tires, inspect them for overall condition and inflation. Tires age out as well as wear out.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:24 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Battery test...
Old 03-12-2019, 07:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
If you still have the original tires, inspect them for overall condition and inflation. Tires age out as well as wear out.
Forgot to mention tires are brand new
Old 03-12-2019, 07:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Battery test...
Just replaced original interstate 6vs with 2x 6v lifeline AGMs!
Old 03-12-2019, 07:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Good - as long as you understand that this means disassembling the hub and bearings (not just pumping grease into an EZ-Lube fitting), so that the brakes and the bearings themselves can be inspected, then when it is re-assembled the bearings are installed and adjusted properly. If it's not done properly, there's no point in doing anything other than checking for excessive bearing play (which just means jacking the trailer to raise each wheel off the ground and pushing and pulling sideways on the top and bottom of the tire to see if it rocks too much).
Thanks will start with what you suggested and if I get the bearings serviced it will be done professionally
Old 03-12-2019, 08:12 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
On my 2014 I used Por15 on all of the frame I could get to including the pin box. The step just keeps getting rust on it, even with the por15. I went thru all the steps, including using their top coat. Tip, get the 6 pack of small cans of the rust preventative coat. Once you close a can you destroy it reopening it. So they are 2 use then toss.

I had to reseal the rooftop caulk this past spring, had one of the holding tank vent caulk jobs leak last winter. Have also redone the Proflex on all the upper rear brake/signal lights, if you have them, you'll see where it pulled away on top of the lights. These lights were an option in 2014.

I had my car mechanic do the bearings and adj the brakes.

Going to take a look at the brakes this spring, if they are a rusted mess I'll replace the whole assm.

Replaced the tires at about 30k before a long trip.