New tires - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2015, 09:28 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Maybe it's just alarmist sales promotion at Discount Tire.
I believe to some degree it is, as it goes against what my tire shop manager (who has dealt with my multiple vehicles for many years) says, my own experience, and that of many others I know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I guess you do get what you pay for, the 4 new tires will cost around $300, about what one new tire will be on the Ram with 20" wheels/tires.....
What tires did you get, Jim? Good tires unmounted start around $100 here, plus about $25 each for mounting and balancing. Even considering exchange, it is a fair bit more, though not the first thing Canadians have to pay more for.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:51 AM   #22

Trailer: 2016 21 ft. with 2013 F150 Tug
new tires

Jim, did you see where the tires were made? It seems like most tires for trailers are made in China. I haven't heard much good about Chinese made tires and was wondering if anyone here had any experience with tires from over seas.

grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:54 AM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I'm waiting to hear back from them, yesterday he said they were made in USA but I want to verify that.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:01 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape-21
No wrong answer. I would have bought one tire and put the spare on the road with it. I would have then taken the remaining good tire and made it the spare. In three years I would replace the complete set and make the newer tire I just bought my spare. That is if the spare tire used the same wheel.
I hate to throw away unused brand new looking 6 YO spare tires.
Eddie
elongest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:05 PM   #25
Site Team

Eddie,
I have tandem axles, so we are talking about 4 wheels....
Old 09-22-2015, 12:23 PM   #26

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Eddie,
I have tandem axles, so we are talking about 4 wheels....
Wouldn't you be talking about 5 tires? The spare is as old as the 4 off the tandem axle.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:57 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
There's as many ways to look at tires as there are permutations of the number of tires I suppose. Your personal, beliefs, experiences, finances and miles traveled all enter into it. Jim usually goes first boat and has been known to trade trucks rather than get a tuneup and trade trailers rather than fill the propane tank. We love him in spite of his eccentric ways. He'll share his beer, his Spam and his scrapple. How can you question the logic of a guy like that? Good luck with your new tires, Jim. I'm gonna buy a new set before spring.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:45 PM   #28
Site Team

Just got off the phone, the new tires are Loadstar, made by Kenda (chinese) and they come with a 2 year warranty. The rv dealer states thay have had -0- complaints with this tire as compared to other brands. BlackJack will be home tomorrow. Anyone here have any first hand knowledge of these tires?
Old 09-22-2015, 03:06 PM   #29

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Just got off the phone, the new tires are Loadstar, made by Kenda (chinese) and they come with a 2 year warranty. The rv dealer states thay have had -0- complaints with this tire as compared to other brands. BlackJack will be home tomorrow. Anyone here have any first hand knowledge of these tires?
Jim,
If you check online all brands are maligned and praised. Kenda has a decent name in off road m/c tires. May have no bearing on their trailer tires. I got 4 Greenball Towmaster SS Special Trailer Radial Tire ST175/80R13 LRC tires from Costco on sale for $200 to my door. I did this b/c I like Costco, they stand behind what they sell, my trailer tires were 6-7 years old, blow outs are a bummer and potentially dangerous, and I could not really get a handle on who makes a decent trailer tire. Lots of what might be double talk on ST tires not needing as many plies b/c they are not driven wheels, fewer plies give more flex and a better ride and so on. Greenball does not make tires. They are a middle man but have been doing business for a number of years.

I applaud you for taking care of your tires. We are all safer when we look at having good, new tires as cheap insurance. BTW having lost bearings and several blowouts in the past I always go around and feel each hub and tire once or twice a day while traveling.
Sometimes you get a warning just by checking.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:18 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Been weighing ST vs. LT tires and have read much pros & cons. What is interesting is that Oliver is touting for their 2016 trailer several upgrades including nitrogen filled Michelin LTX MS/2 tires.

Rossue is online now   Reply With Quote