New tires - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2015, 11:24 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
I had nitrogen before and wish I still had it. Never needed to fill the tires.
My last set of van tires came filled with nitrogen - how pure, no one knows. I didn't notice any difference in need to adjust tire inflation. Now I have 78% nitrogen - works fine!

This can be a large subject, but the summary is that dry air is good (and the nitrogen-enriched or oxygen-depleted air produced for tire inflation is usually nice and dry), but whether the components other than water vapour are nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, or unicorn breath doesn't matter.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:32 PM   #42

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Whole Foods is now selling nitrogen-infused air?

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:54 PM   #43

Oliver tire choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_bullet View Post
It looks like Michelin makes an XPS commercial retreadable tire that is quite expensive.
Michelin makes lots of commercial (truck, bus, and trailer) tires. My motorhome has the RV version (essentially an all-position all-season tread) of one of their truck tires... it would make a good travel trailer tire, if anyone needed a 235/85R22.5 travel trailer tire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Been weighing ST vs. LT tires and have read much pros & cons. What is interesting is that Oliver is touting for their 2016 trailer several upgrades including nitrogen filled Michelin LTX MS/2 tires.
Quote:
Wonder what size the Oliver is using- a 235/75 R15?
The Legacy Elite II brochure and the Elite equivalent don't list the actual tire size, but do mention 16" wheels. There are not many common 16" ST tire sizes - generally ST235/80R16 or ST235/85R16 - so perhaps Oliver wanted a different size. Of course, they may also have wanted LT-type tires.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:00 AM   #44

Quote:
In checking my tread depth I don't want to go back out before replacement; we had a loss of traction on Kebler Pass from Crested Butte to Hwy 133 in CO that had the trailer sliding left at pretty low speed. That road is a smooth dirt/gravel/clay- or whatever and it had rained some the previous week, yet feel a more aggressive tread might have made a difference.
I agree - the generic "trailer tire" tread isn't very effective. If tread life really doesn't matter, as so many people say, perhaps a good trailer tire choice would be one of the "all-weather" tires (Nokian WR) in an Extra Load (XL) version for suitable capacity (many sizes of the WR come in XL, including two sizes that I have put on our van and a car).
Old 09-23-2015, 02:34 PM   #45
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
BlackJack is home and I'm close to $700 poorer. Four new load C ST205/75R15 5 ply tires @ $90/each, mounting and balancing and new tire stems @$15 each, disposal fee $5 each, installed 4 new seals and cleaned/repacked all
bearings @$95/hour, parts $25 plus tax. The tires have a 2 year warranty and were made in March 2015.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:38 PM   #46

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
Attaboy Jim, get the Willy Nelson theme song playing and get "On the Road Again. Have a great day
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:39 PM   #47
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Yep, going down Shenandoah NP next week for some fall foilage and camping with the grandkids
Old 09-23-2015, 04:31 PM   #48

Trailer: None
We were going on a trip to the West Coast so I purchased two new ST tires for the trip over the internet from a large nationwide tire retailer . I took the tires to a local tire shop to be mounted and balanced. The tire shop said they had a hard time balancing the tires .( There were 6 large weights hanging on one point along the tire) Thinking something must be wrong I took the rims / tires to a second tire shop and got the same results. I called the tire mfg.and got nowhere. I called the tire retailer and was told to have the tires removed from the rims ,
send them back and when they received them ,they would send me two new tires. I would have to pay for the tire removal , return freight , and the mounting & balancing of the new tires. I gave these tires to a friend for his firewood trailer and bought two new tires from a different retailer
This week (6 weeks later) I got a call from both the mfg, and the retailer asking me if the issue
with the tires had been resolved.
It seems that the quality of both the tire mfg and the tire retailer are equal
ZERO.
I guess there is some virtue in buying local !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:44 PM   #49

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
T
It seems that the quality of both the tire mfg and the tire retailer are equal
ZERO.
I guess there is some virtue in buying local !!
Agree & more than many know. Have been researching for a good amount of time now and have narrowed down the short list of LT tires: Yokohama Geolander HTS 6-ply for $512. or Goodyear Wrangler HT 8-ply for $600. The Yokohama are from a National chain new to town and the Goodyear from long-time local store who said he couldn't get the Yokohamas anymore and it was probably older inventory.

The catch is that either choice requires going to a 215/75 R15 from the stock 205/75 R15. Does anyone think this will be a problem?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:06 PM   #50

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Discount Tire put me in Yokohamas on both our cars a few years back. Had to replace both cars under 30k mi went back to Michelins. I personally won't buy Yokohamas again.

Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote