New tires - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2015, 10:24 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
I had nitrogen before and wish I still had it. Never needed to fill the tires.
My last set of van tires came filled with nitrogen - how pure, no one knows. I didn't notice any difference in need to adjust tire inflation. Now I have 78% nitrogen - works fine!

This can be a large subject, but the summary is that dry air is good (and the nitrogen-enriched or oxygen-depleted air produced for tire inflation is usually nice and dry), but whether the components other than water vapour are nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, or unicorn breath doesn't matter.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:32 PM   #42

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Whole Foods is now selling nitrogen-infused air?
Old 09-22-2015, 10:54 PM   #43

Oliver tire choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_bullet View Post
It looks like Michelin makes an XPS commercial retreadable tire that is quite expensive.
Michelin makes lots of commercial (truck, bus, and trailer) tires. My motorhome has the RV version (essentially an all-position all-season tread) of one of their truck tires... it would make a good travel trailer tire, if anyone needed a 235/85R22.5 travel trailer tire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Been weighing ST vs. LT tires and have read much pros & cons. What is interesting is that Oliver is touting for their 2016 trailer several upgrades including nitrogen filled Michelin LTX MS/2 tires.
Quote:
Wonder what size the Oliver is using- a 235/75 R15?
The Legacy Elite II brochure and the Elite equivalent don't list the actual tire size, but do mention 16" wheels. There are not many common 16" ST tire sizes - generally ST235/80R16 or ST235/85R16 - so perhaps Oliver wanted a different size. Of course, they may also have wanted LT-type tires.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:00 PM   #44

Quote:
In checking my tread depth I don't want to go back out before replacement; we had a loss of traction on Kebler Pass from Crested Butte to Hwy 133 in CO that had the trailer sliding left at pretty low speed. That road is a smooth dirt/gravel/clay- or whatever and it had rained some the previous week, yet feel a more aggressive tread might have made a difference.
I agree - the generic "trailer tire" tread isn't very effective. If tread life really doesn't matter, as so many people say, perhaps a good trailer tire choice would be one of the "all-weather" tires (Nokian WR) in an Extra Load (XL) version for suitable capacity (many sizes of the WR come in XL, including two sizes that I have put on our van and a car).
Old 09-23-2015, 01:34 PM   #45

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
BlackJack is home and I'm close to $700 poorer. Four new load C ST205/75R15 5 ply tires @ $90/each, mounting and balancing and new tire stems @$15 each, disposal fee $5 each, installed 4 new seals and cleaned/repacked all
bearings @$95/hour, parts $25 plus tax. The tires have a 2 year warranty and were made in March 2015.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:38 PM   #46

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Attaboy Jim, get the Willy Nelson theme song playing and get "On the Road Again. Have a great day
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:39 PM   #47

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yep, going down Shenandoah NP next week for some fall foilage and camping with the grandkids
Old 09-23-2015, 03:31 PM   #48

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We were going on a trip to the West Coast so I purchased two new ST tires for the trip over the internet from a large nationwide tire retailer . I took the tires to a local tire shop to be mounted and balanced. The tire shop said they had a hard time balancing the tires .( There were 6 large weights hanging on one point along the tire) Thinking something must be wrong I took the rims / tires to a second tire shop and got the same results. I called the tire mfg.and got nowhere. I called the tire retailer and was told to have the tires removed from the rims ,
send them back and when they received them ,they would send me two new tires. I would have to pay for the tire removal , return freight , and the mounting & balancing of the new tires. I gave these tires to a friend for his firewood trailer and bought two new tires from a different retailer
This week (6 weeks later) I got a call from both the mfg, and the retailer asking me if the issue
with the tires had been resolved.
It seems that the quality of both the tire mfg and the tire retailer are equal
ZERO.
I guess there is some virtue in buying local !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:44 PM   #49

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
T
It seems that the quality of both the tire mfg and the tire retailer are equal
ZERO.
Agree & more than many know. Have been researching for a good amount of time now and have narrowed down the short list of LT tires: Yokohama Geolander HTS 6-ply for $512. or Goodyear Wrangler HT 8-ply for $600. The Yokohama are from a National chain new to town and the Goodyear from long-time local store who said he couldn't get the Yokohamas anymore and it was probably older inventory.

The catch is that either choice requires going to a 215/75 R15 from the stock 205/75 R15. Does anyone think this will be a problem?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:06 PM   #50

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Discount Tire put me in Yokohamas on both our cars a few years back. Had to replace both cars under 30k mi went back to Michelins. I personally won't buy Yokohamas again.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:20 PM   #51

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I had Yokohama Geolanders on my Ford Explorer. When I replaced them, I could suddenly hear the engine, and I could hear myself think. Municipality next door replaced the Geolanders on their equipment with another brand.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:23 PM   #52

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham
Especially with things like tires. Way easier to get warranty work done too, plus they fix flats for free.

I try to buy locally if at all possible, and am willing to pay a bit of a premium to do so.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:24 PM   #53

Can't find an LT Michelin in a 15"; Oliver is using 16" wheels. Thanks for the warning on Yokohamas- seemed like I had a similar experience on a new Sequoia once.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:28 PM   #54

Michelin Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Discount Tire put me in Yokohamas on both our cars a few years back. Had to replace both cars under 30k mi went back to Michelins. I personally won't buy Yokohamas again.
This is the opposite of what I've experienced . The contractor I worked for had a fleet of 20 service trucks . Michelin tires gave the poorest performance usually lasting only 30 to 35
thousand miles before needing replacement. They switched to some house brand tires from
Tires Plus and got close to 60 thousand miles out of a set of tires plus the cost was about half.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:32 PM   #55

The last set of tires bought for a Ford E-150 recently were Toyo's. The Hankook's didn't last well and was told that Michelins were not a good choice because they didn't have a lot rubber. So it doesn't surprise me that they are not a good choice for big work trucks.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:49 PM   #56

Quote:
The last set of tires bought for a Ford E-150 recently were Toyo's. The Hankook's didn't last well and was told that Michelins were not a good choice because they didn't have a lot rubber. So it doesn't surprise me that they are not a good choice for big work trucks.
The service trucks were 3/4 and 1 ton pickups and vans . Don't know if that qualifies as big work trucks.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:27 PM   #57

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Just got off the phone, the new tires are Loadstar, made by Kenda (chinese) and they come with a 2 year warranty. The rv dealer states thay have had -0- complaints with this tire as compared to other brands. BlackJack will be home tomorrow. Anyone here have any first hand knowledge of these tires?
I am curious how they do and feel Jim.

Those are the same tires I have been looking at that I posted in another thread that are sold by Etrailer
Radial Tire Tires and Wheels | etrailer.com
And easternmarine
Radial Trailer Tires w/o Rim at Trailer Parts Superstore

They have good ratings and are available in C or D load range.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:40 PM   #58

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Agree & more than many know. Have been researching for a good amount of time now and have narrowed down the short list of LT tires: Yokohama Geolander HTS 6-ply for $512. or Goodyear Wrangler HT 8-ply for $600. The Yokohama are from a National chain new to town and the Goodyear from long-time local store who said he couldn't get the Yokohamas anymore and it was probably older inventory.

The catch is that either choice requires going to a 215/75 R15 from the stock 205/75 R15. Does anyone think this will be a problem?
The math calculations would be that the tire will be 0.4 inch wider, 0.3 inch taller and will raise the trailer 0.15 inch. Can't imagine that would be a problem. Manufacturing tolerances are not that accurate from one brand to the next, so give us a report when they're installed.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:02 PM   #59

Thank you Bill; will report on choice. I realize that we're somewhat in a niche category, with the 20K miles/year so far. Probably not the only ones though and my interest was piqued by the Oliver decision to move to LT tires.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:04 PM   #60

Tire Brands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
On the other hand, I had a set of Yokohama tires many years ago when I was running in autoslalom competition, and they worked well and wore well for what they were doing. Like any other brand, Yokohama has a range of models with different characteristics.

Quote:
... was told that Michelins were not a good choice because they didn't have a lot rubber. So it doesn't surprise me that they are not a good choice for big work trucks.
There is a huge range of Michelin tire models. Tires sold for original equipment use (the tires on the vehicle as it comes from the factory) tend to have little tread depth (they handle better right off the lot, and they're cheaper, but the don't last as long as they could), and there are differences between styles of aftermarket tires. I wouldn't draw any brand conclusions from someone else's experience with a limited range of models.