Parking in the sun - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2016, 05:31 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Parking in the sun

This summer we are only going to be using the Escape for a two week vacation to the thousand islands -- meanwhile it's parked in full sun in front of our house. I keep wondering if there is any problem with this -- if we need to get it into some shade -- if three months of full sun will harm the fiberglass or if maybe it's actually better for it. Thoughts?

Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
This summer we are only going to be using the Escape for a two week vacation to the thousand islands -- meanwhile it's parked in full sun in front of our house. I keep wondering if there is any problem with this -- if we need to get it into some shade -- if three months of full sun will harm the fiberglass or if maybe it's actually better for it. Thoughts?
Best I can tell is the roof gets pretty oxidized, sides are okay. Needs to be either ignored or waxed.

I put sheets of reflectix in the narrower windows and large construction paper between the bigger windows and the shades in an effort to limit bleaching the dinette cushions and the shades, as well as cut down on heat. Won't be using it till Sept.

I'll probably get some tire covers for at least the sunny side.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:28 PM   #3

Trailer: Looking for the hard to find Escape 15
Personally, I would buy a cover (if you don't have one). Our UHaul is too tall to fit in our garage so one of the first things I did was buy a cover, albeit a cheap one off of eBay. Surprisingly, the cover is three years old now and besides the squirrel damage, it has held up well. Damn squirrels!
Lv4toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Best I can tell is the roof gets pretty oxidized, sides are okay. Needs to be either ignored or waxed.

I put sheets of reflectix in the narrower windows and large construction paper between the bigger windows and the shades in an effort to limit bleaching the dinette cushions and the shades, as well as cut down on heat. Won't be using it till Sept.

I'll probably get some tire covers for at least the sunny side.
Just a thought: if you have thermal pane windows, be very careful of putting highly reflective material behind them in the sun. The reflected rays can build the heat to a point where the seal gets disturbed on the window and you will end up with fogged windows. This is a caution often stated for house windows. If you use Reflectix, cover one side with white material that faces the outside.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:36 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
RV sales lots are in the sun and a lot of rigs stay there 'till they're sold. Fiberglass boats stay all summer, and some all year long in the sun, often uncovered. I wouldn't worry about it. You, on the other hand should be using a sunscreen with a SPF of 15 or higher.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:51 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
Last week it was about 90 degrees here. Hot for Iowa in June but by no means a record. I came home about sundown . The 2005 Accord was on the driveway. As I walked by it, I noticed the sunroof had exploded with tempered glass everywhere. My first thought was baseball but nope, the glass apparently decided that ten years in the sun was enough. Body shop said they had done three last week. Looked it up on Al Gore's Internet. Happens all the time. Comprehensive covered all but $100. About the same as a non resident one night stay in a Washinton State Park. Oh well.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
RV sales lots are in the sun and a lot of rigs stay there 'till they're sold. Fiberglass boats stay all summer, and some all year long in the sun, often uncovered. I wouldn't worry about it. You, on the other hand should be using a sunscreen with a SPF of 15 or higher.
And a hat that covers your haid. Those trips to the dermatologist for melanoma and skin cancer aren't all that enjoyable.
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:51 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
and take up valuable vacation time Dave.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:39 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I always wear a hat and long sleeves when I'm in the sun for a long time -- and at the beach I'll put on a long skirt -- gauzy fabric -- But no sunscreen. I always suspected that it wasn't a really good idea and recently I read something about it that kind of confirmed my thoughts. For one thing ironically it blocks absorption of Vitamin D, which a lot of us are deficient in. But the chemicals are toxic and they don't just stay on the skin.

I'm done worrying about the trailer -- at least about the sun.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:25 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
I always wear a hat and long sleeves when I'm in the sun for a long time -- and at the beach I'll put on a long skirt -- gauzy fabric -- But no sunscreen. I always suspected that it wasn't a really good idea and recently I read something about it that kind of confirmed my thoughts. For one thing ironically it blocks absorption of Vitamin D, which a lot of us are deficient in. But the chemicals are toxic and they don't just stay on the skin.

I'm done worrying about the trailer -- at least about the sun.
I can't use sunscreen . I break out . All I can do is cover up . I suspected it was"t good for us anyway . Pat

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote