Power awning adjustment,,,, - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2019, 07:21 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Power awning adjustment,,,,

Yesterday I went out and noticed the awning was not flush when closed. There was maybe a 1/2" at the bottom and 1" at the top, Was this an angle adjustment or retraction issue? The rear was similar. Eggscape documented his awning adjustment here #274 http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...-12918-28.html.
So I had ordered a new set of extra long hex key set and took it and my ladder to the trailer. The adjustment is located at the front of the trailer versus left/right instructions mentioned. There are adjusting screws which I could not see. So I decided to adjust the play the way Reace described back in 2016 when Escape started installing these power awnings. I had successfully adjusted my 2016 so lets try again.
I extended the awning 3/4 way and got up on the ladder and loosened the tension nut on the awning arm. I proceeded to tap the arm with a rubber mallet when the awning started to retract. I quickly pushed the stop button the remote, nothing. I jumped down and made a dash for the awning power button inside and stopped the retraction, but not before the arm had traveled to almost the middle of the awning. Eeekkk....Rule #1, always turn the main power off when adjusting the awning. This will prevent you making the dash off the ladder to hit the switch. I managed to return the arm and made sure both were now 9" from the end. Turned power back on and hit the retract. the awning will not retract the last 1'. Crap now what... went out and returned the arms to 8" (remembering to turn off the power button) and looked again at the forward awning area with a flashlight. There are 2 recessed holes with arrows on them.
Back to the hex set, there is no way a long hex will even get near the rear hole.I tried the torx, the metric, the sae set inside the first hole and turned nothing. Tried to close, now about 3" space! Back to the basement for an old short set of hex and inserted into the rear hole and turned counter, now about 6" space. I'm now thinking turning all the wrenches in the first tying to find the correct one did something to the extension. So I cussed and step up another ladder step and turned the rear with a 5/32 short wrench towards the rear(which to me is counter but upside down it it clockwise. Now about 6" space. Open again ad turned the wrench toward the front (you can call it clockwise or counter clockwise, I'm sticking with toward the front) closed and now about 3", open again and turn, now about 1", repeat success, flush close..
There is no feeling to the screw and you can only turn it 1/2 revolution due to space constraints but it does work. I'm thinking all my test fitting attempts messed up the original settings.
So in summary, always turn off the main power button if you do any adjustment with the 2016/2017 awnings the way in Reace's video. For 2018 and newer use the 2 adjusting screws located under the forward awning section up on a second roller, The easier screw is for adjusting the extension (to eliminate sag in the material), the harder rear screw is for closing and turn towards the front to shorten the travel.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:24 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Lots of fun, eh?

I have played with the adjustments a fair bit. Quite easy to do. The toughest was pulling one arm to replace the pin on the trailer mount. I then had to adjust the downward angle a bunch, and even readdress it later. It all takes a bit of time, but is not too tough. I did get some insight from Reace first who showed me some of the basics.

The easy adjustment is centering and amount of closure when awning is fully closed. That post of Reace's covers it very good. I think many here have done that.

I now carry the two hex wrenches needed separate, including one with the shorter leg cut real short to get at the top set screws.

If anyone is at all skeptical about adjusting things themselves, I bet many an RV shop could do it up quickly.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:33 AM   #3

But then you would miss all the profanity expressed, that has to come out of you to make you feel better....
Old 09-09-2019, 08:45 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
But then you would miss all the profanity expressed, that has to come out of you to make you feel better....
Oh, I have done this a few times. Lisa heard one just before my big fall a few months back.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:57 AM   #5

Glad you are on the mend. I limit my ladders to step type now.....
Old 09-09-2019, 09:01 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Jim, my brain hurts just reading the description of your awning adventure. Thanks for the detailed exploits you just experienced. I cannot imagine the panic trying get to that power button. I think I can still hear some of your salty verbiage flowing through the atmosphere.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:42 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hey there’s another “not for the faint of heart” rally activity, to be led by Jim Norman
“Salty snacks and Salty language.” No actual swear words just ugly descriptions of the topic at hand. Glad you’ve made an adjustment Jim.
Iowa “Sir Spamalot” Dave